Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Buzzardo

Default Scenario Request

Since we're going to get some scenarios, can we get some that are suitable for solo play?

I don't always have folks with whom to play, and computer game is either not happening or a long way off.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
D351

Default Re: Scenario Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Since we're going to get some scenarios, can we get some that are suitable for solo play?

I don't always have folks with whom to play, and computer game is either not happening or a long way off.
I agree, and I'd also like to see a 3-player... seems like we'll have plenty of pieces... I imagine both of these hings will certainly happen, if not in the base game, then in one of the future scenarios... of the future.
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
OGRE/GEV traditionally has had solo-able scenarios. I imagine that most (if not all) of the same scenarios are going to be in 6e.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
OGRE/GEV traditionally has had solo-able scenarios. I imagine that most (if not all) of the same scenarios are going to be in 6e.
Yup. It's one of the reasons I like Ogre. As Steve makes new scenarios, I hope he can work in a couple that really lend themselves to solo play.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

One thing that I would LIKE to do, and it might be worth crowdsourcing somehow, would be create an English-language heuristic, taking less than a page, that would describe Ogre behavior. Then express it as a classic flowchart. Then publish THAT, so you could play the defense and use a marker on the flowchart to see what the Ogre "decides" to do. Once in a while the Ogre will roll dice, so you can't predict it completely despite the fact that you have its flowchart in front of you.

Adequate Ogre AI has been created repeatedly, but I don't have any of the source code. Do I have to interview myself to create an expert system? :-)

Need an AI boffin here.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Apache
On Notice

Astra Titanus is basically OGRE in space, and was designed for solo play. The robot berzerker spaceship uses cards to determine its actions.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
One thing that I would LIKE to do, and it might be worth crowdsourcing somehow, would be create an English-language heuristic, taking less than a page, that would describe Ogre behavior. Then express it as a classic flowchart. Then publish THAT, so you could play the defense and use a marker on the flowchart to see what the Ogre "decides" to do. Once in a while the Ogre will roll dice, so you can't predict it completely despite the fact that you have its flowchart in front of you.

Adequate Ogre AI has been created repeatedly, but I don't have any of the source code. Do I have to interview myself to create an expert system? :-)

Need an AI boffin here.
This sounds awesome.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
Knockman

That sounds like an interesting challenge - and done similar for more complex situations, both for work and for other game projects (like boardgames and miniature wargames). A simple D6 resolution at certain stages can simulate the AI interaction as it evaluates immediate combat environment and actual target opportunities in comparison to it's mission objectives.

And with the latter, you could factor this into the flowchart too, perhaps with some sort of 1D6 randomization throughout so that the defender player is unaware of the Ogre's prime objective. That only comes out as you play the game - is the Ogre going for your CP, or is it intent on wiping out all Howitzers & Heavies, or is it on a Hunt to kill all Infantry. Might take some planning and plotting but I think it's an interesting idea to play around with.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post
That sounds like an interesting challenge - and done similar for more complex situations, both for work and for other game projects (like boardgames and miniature wargames). A simple D6 resolution at certain stages can simulate the AI interaction as it evaluates immediate combat environment and actual target opportunities in comparison to it's mission objectives.

And with the latter, you could factor this into the flowchart too, perhaps with some sort of 1D6 randomization throughout so that the defender player is unaware of the Ogre's prime objective. That only comes out as you play the game - is the Ogre going for your CP, or is it intent on wiping out all Howitzers & Heavies, or is it on a Hunt to kill all Infantry. Might take some planning and plotting but I think it's an interesting idea to play around with.
Let's just hope he doesn't write the impossible-to-beat ogre algorithm.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/eb36/?srp=1
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
GEVJockey

A few years ago I wrote up a quick and dirty program using the algorithm presented in "The Uncertainty Principal: Modifications in Ogre" by Brian McClure that can be found in the Ogre Book. I got it to the point of the user entering the hex where the CP was located and the entry hex for the Ogre. The Ogre would then move toward the CP using the simple algorithm. It was smart enough to avoid craters. Once the Ogre got within a set number of hexes of the CP, it would stop it's semi-random movement and dash to the CP in a straight line. If it overran the CP it would then move back to the entry hexes to exit the map.

It was an interesting start. Just coming up with the calculator to figure out how far two hexes were from each other using their hex number wasn't straight forward.
GEVJockey is offline   Reply With Quote