Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: The World of Dreams

An oar propelled galley with a gatling gun mounted on the prow.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

I'm actually running a campaign that uses a lot of dream mythology. It's at my blog.

That said, I have night terrors. I've had night terrors since I was four. My dreams are the battleground for my psyche. You wouldn't want to see anything I dream about come into the real world. Actually, you might have if you've read any of my articles. My dreams are typical fodder for inspiration for them.

The last dream I had with a monster in it involved something that looked like a spider the size of large dog with the head of a shark and bat-like ears. After chasing me through the house it managed to throw me out a window and then eat me. At which point I woke up screaming.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
David Johnston2

The Little General: A man under a foot tall who commands a marauding force of full-sized soldiers who burn and destroy villages as he sits on the shoulder of his second in command like an evil conscience.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
sgtcallistan

A place I still vividly recall from a dream, but not what happened there.

Approached at dusk, with a purplish stormy sky: a reason to get out of the weather.
Surroundings: a grassy, low-hilled area with widely-spaced trees, suggestive of the park surrounding a country house. The ground is flatter closer to the house.

The building itself looked like a tall, squarish thing not unlike a cathedral with a single central tower. Much too tall to be a country house.
The entire surface is covered with hanging plants, something between hanging moss and creepers, the windows are often not covered by the plants, so glass shows through, and a door can easily be uncovered.

Most extraordinarily; the whole building is canted over at about 30degrees from the vertical, as if the underground parts are slightly fallen-in, or as if it has been clumsily 'landed' on the spot.

All the interior would be hard to negotiate, but not impossible. But to move quickly... very difficult.

I've never used this place, but did once adapt it as a gravity-manipulating spaceship, which had landed at an awkward angle, while the interior was (while the power lasted) normally-aligned.

Hope this sparks some ideas.

Last edited by sgtcallistan; 07-15-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: additional
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
David Johnston2

Large humpbacked hairless predator.
Flying creatures like bits of animate darkness and falcon-like talons that rake you as they zip past.
What looks at first like a giant snake with a body nearly as a wide as that of a human being, but as it slides forward without wiggling, you see that its central body is bloated like a limbless diplodocus.
Two twin boys with reptilian scales and eyes and sharp carnivorous teeth, each absently clutching evangelical pamphets denouncing practitioners of magic. They claim that the giant monster was their elder brother.

All of them are averse to sunlight and can be exorcised by very bright magical light.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-03-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Imagine a setting made up of things from people's dreams ala Lovecraft's Dreamlands or Wonderland. What could escape from your dreams to make up part of it?
Pet peeves. Or, since they've escaped, feral peeves. (I wrote those up for In Nomine five years ago - here's the post.) Likewise: high horses, hobby horses, and the like.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Vehicle: A car whose steering wheel locks hard to the right, and whose accelerator pedal sticks to the floor shortly after the ignition is turned on. The parking brake is the vehicular equivalent of a displacer beast; attempts to interrupt the high-speed circles by grabbing it will instead turn on the windshield wipers, or the hood latch, or the trunk lid.

(This came from a cold-medicine dream I had a few weeks ago; I found the "brake" just moments before my eyes popped open.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #18
Anders

A magic field that removes all your clothes.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
David Johnston2

A cube that magically acts as an extra drive for any computer in its vicinity and records any activity by any of those computers.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Two juvenile delinquents who have been transformed into an angel and a devil complete with all of their new forms knowledge of the supernatural. However their personalities haven't changed at all.

A plastic-shelled wedge-shaped robot that wanders around on the street seeking out graffiti to erase by squirting some kind of fluid at it and then crawling across it. .

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Tags
dream