Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Falling damage seems rather tame

Catfall is vital . . . With it, a person jumping from 17 yards ("50 feet"), is treated as falling from only 12 yards. On a 10-HP person, that inflicts 3d damage if striking a hard surface (10 HP × 2 for the hard surface × 16 for the velocity from a 12-yard fall, divided by 100, is 3.2d, which rounds down to 3d), but damage is halved on a DX roll. The actual range is 1-9 points of damage, averaging 5, which isn't quite enough to cripple (that takes 6 HP for this character). For insurance, add DR 9 (Limited, Falling damage, -60%) [18]. The net 28-point cost is high, and Flight (Gliding, -50%) [20] might be better, though it isn't if you're building someone who has general DR 9+ in the first place. Also remember that if you're surprised, you don't get to use Flight, any more than a stunned person on foot gets to retreat from a surprise melee attack.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
You could also look a Jumping on B357 and let a character subtract their vertical standing jump height(with current encumbrance) from their fall if they are intentionally 'jumping down' (all of 20" for an average person, so not a lot of help)
Jumping down needs to be at least double jumping up. I've sat on a 10' roof and jumped on to grass without problem but couldn't dunk a basketball even on an 8' rim.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Also remember that if you're surprised, you don't get to use Flight.
You do if your Flight was already active before the surprise occurred.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
... Also remember that if you're surprised, you don't get to use Flight, any more than a stunned person on foot gets to retreat from a surprise melee attack.
That doesn't sound right. Flight is a means of Movement, not a manoeuvre. If you're standing you don't fall over when you're surprised, so there's no particular reason for flyers to fall when surprised.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #25
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

To be clear: You cannot switch on Flight if you're stunned; that takes a Ready maneuver, and stunned people can only Do Nothing. Flight doesn't switch off if you're stunned. I didn't spell this out because I couldn't see a situation where you would fall out a window (the ongoing context of this discussion), not expect it, but have Flight "on." In the specific context where somebody with Flight is walking around on the ground and suddenly plummets in a way that causes mental stun, Flight won't be of much use . . . for the same reason why when someone reliant on ordinary walking movement is suddenly jumped and stunned, he doesn't get to retreat. By all means, if somebody routinely flies even when apparently walking, and suddenly takes a plunge, let Flight work.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
Figleaf23
Banned

That still doesn't seem right. Do you need a Ready maneuver to switch on the ability to swim or to move in free fall?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
That still doesn't seem right. Do you need a Ready maneuver to switch on the ability to swim or to move in free fall?
If you want to switch on flight reflexively, then it should be bought with the Reflexive enhancement, I would think.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
The rules on activating advantages in GURPS generally encourage you to leave them on permanently. If you have flight, absent limitations that force you to deactivate it, just leave it on all the time, even when you're 'walking'.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #29
Otaku

Quote:
I am probably not the best to answer this, but we are talking about a situation where someone is standing (supported only by their own body and fact that there is something in the way of gravity pulling them down farther).

If you are a creature that naturally flies (like an ultra-tech robot that just hovers above the ground even when standing still), as long as you don't have a relevant limitation (like Low Ceiling or a form of Flight where you must keep a specific portion of your body facing the ground), then getting knocked out of a window is no different than getting knocked through an interior window.

If you fly (even full, self-powered flight) but you are not actively using that ability, similar to how you can't even tread water while stunned, you'll at least begin to fall when knocked out the window. Then again, it has been a while since I saw these rules; can you now run while mentally stunned?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
just leave it on all the time, even when you're 'walking'.
This may well require Acting rolls if you're attempting to fool others into thinking that you are walking, rather than flying whilst whirling your legs close to the ground. Failure to do so does mean other people are going realise that defenestration is hardly a valid method of despatching you.

If the method of death has to be falling induced, due to some pesky destiny of some such, they'll instead aim to drop anvils, pianos, saves and other team mates on you, instead of pushing you off of things - I'd surmise.

Tags
fall, falling