Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #81
Astromancer

Default Re: Vote up a SUPERS! setting.

Run-Off Round on When

Pulp, WWII, The Cold War, and the Sixties, were the four highest in round one. Now for round two. Everybody will assign a number one to four to each option. Four equals four votes, three equals three, ect.

A) Pulp (1890-1939)

B) WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift)

C) The Cold War (1944-1964)

D) The Sixties (1962-1975)

We'll tie down when and where in the chosen period after we choose it.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #82
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Run-Off Round on When

Pulp, WWII, The Cold War, and the Sixties, were the four highest in round one. Now for round two. Everybody will assign a number one to four to each option. Four equals four votes, three equals three, ect.

A) Pulp (1890-1939)

B) WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift)

C) The Cold War (1944-1964)

D) The Sixties (1962-1975)

We'll tie down when and where in the chosen period after we choose it.
4 VotesPulp. --This is the era that saw the first world war, the golden age of organized crime, and the rise of fascism. This is the era of Tarzan, Doc Savage, The Shadow, King Kong, and, (retroactively) Indiana Jones and the Rocketeer. Not to mention the golden age comic book superheroes! This era screams BIG DARING ADVENTURE.

3 Votes Cold War. --Espionage in East Berlin, while former allies fight a secret war to acquire Nazi scientists. Soviet Agents, secret psionics programs, and real honest to God doomsday devices.

2 Votes WWII. --Little needs to be said. The Nazis were real world supervillains and unambiguously evil. The era of Captain America and the Blackhawks.

1 Vote The Sixties. --Included in the Cold War, so doesn't need it's own category, really. Still, the psychodelic sixties or the swinging sixties would have a different feel that's worth considering...I guess.

These are all fine choices, I'd be happy however it comes out.

Last edited by aesir23; 12-06-2012 at 07:51 AM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #83
hari

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I'll throw out a couple more:
More generally, I'd like for this thread to eventually get specific about the origins, for instance, if powers are granted by by aliens, let's figure out which aliens exist. Are there warring factions? Are some of the aliens lost precursors? How does the existence of power-granting aliens effect the universe and it's cosmology. How do the aliens feel about the lost civilization?

I think specificity is what will make this feel like "a few origins", and not "any possible origin sorted into one of a few broad categories."

[EDIT] I'd also like for us to eventually draw connecting threads between all origins, to make the world feel cohesive: perhaps mutants exist because of precursor tampering with the gene pool, and Atlantis relies on technology granted to them thousands of years ago by the precursor's rivals, etc.... After all, we did not vote for a kitchen sink setting.
My thoughts entirely. I especially like the bit about drawing connecting threads between the origins to make it feel cohesive.

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #84
hari

1. Pulp (1890-1939) ++++

2. The Cold War (1944-1964) +++

3. WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift) ++

4. The Sixties (1962-1975) +

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”

Last edited by hari; 12-06-2012 at 07:47 AM.
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #85
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Now for round two. Everybody will assign a number one to four to each option. Four equals four votes, three equals three, ect.
I wonder how many people will still get this backwards... either way my votes are:

4 Votes for: C) The Cold War (1944-1964)

3 Votes for: B) WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift)

2 Votes for: D) The Sixties (1962-1975)

1 Vote for: A) Pulp (1890-1939)

Conflict makes a great backdrop for a supers campaign imo - the cold war being the best as there's lots of "behind the scenes" stuff, and 'superpowers' can be used as the stand in for nukes (if there are a one or two per side who can pretty much be a nuke etc).
WWII is a similar affair except the whole world has been drawn into the fray - pretty much every large power was involved at one point or another and that mean every large population in the world at the time. It's easy to say that 1% of all people gained superpowers and that's why they're involved (smaller countries that produced super's likely team up with larger ones - or are interesting free radicals).
The sixties had some major re-orientation of views and behaviour, and we landed on the moon. Super powers likely caused both. It's a much lighter setting as a lot of the tension of the cold war is starting to fall away and consumerism has just emerged... but I guess some people would prefer a lighter setting - you can even have the same campaign idea as the Cold War, but just having the game set after all the bloodshed and backstabbing.
Pulp... I can't really find much love for - my head just doesn't know how to subtly introduce superheroes into that time period without giving it a massive shake up that would quickly alter the feel (and point) of that time period. Perhaps if its just very low level supers?? Either way it gets a measly one vote due to necessity.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #86
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Run-Off Round on When

A) Pulp (1890-1939) ++++

B) WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift) ++

C) The Cold War (1944-1964) +

D) The Sixties (1962-1975) +++

We'll tie down when and where in the chosen period after we choose it.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #87
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
votes...
Well we just negated our votes to a simple 5 votes a piece - I best start up my propaganda engine to try and get others to see things my way so I can get a bias going in my favour again.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #88
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
I wonder how many people will still get this backwards...
Oops, that's me!!!

Editing my original post to correct, but for Clarity, I meant to give 4 votes to Pulp, 3 to Cold War, 2 to WWII and 1 to 1960s.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #89
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
Well we just negated our votes to a simple 5 votes a piece - I best start up my propaganda engine to try and get others to see things my way so I can get a bias going in my favour again.
If Pulp loses, I might start my Vote Up A Cliffhanger thread. So good luck, honourable opponent. :)
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #90
combatmedic
Banned

A) Pulp (1890-1939) +

B) WWII (from the earliest moves in the Asian theatre to the Berlin Airlift) ++

C) The Cold War (1944-1964) +++

D) The Sixties (1962-1975) ++++
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote