Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Deadpan

Default G-Experience & Improved G-Tolerance

What's the difference between the two?

G-Experience sort of explains the point by letting us know that you react differently in strange gravities and tells you things like halving the usual DEX penalty etc., but Improved G-Tolerance just says you can operate in them. Isn't that what G-experience is for? So you can comfortably operate in different gravity? On top of that Improved G-Tolerance doesn't explain any kind of scenarios do we also get that halved penalty bonus? Do we get pluses for working in easier gravities?

A full-on explanation is needed for me, I'm slow at this so seriously lay it out for me.

Also: Characters book uses 0.16G on the Moon for the example in G-Experience, while the Campaigns book uses 0.17G for the Moon on p350.

Thought I'd let someone know that...

Last edited by Deadpan; 07-25-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Deadpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: G-Experience & Improved G-Tolerance

G-Tolerance means the organism has more flexible in terms of comfort zone sizes for gravity. It includes physiological adaptations that make it suffer less from weight changes, including cardiovascular, neural, and locomotor adaptations.

G-Experience just means you've been exposed to a given non-native gravity many times, and are acquainted with it enough that you no longer suffer as big a DX penalty for 'unfamiliarity'.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
Walrus

Note that G-Experience is Mundane Mental Trait, so it represent skill (not GURPS Skill, but mundane skill, experience in not so physically hard but complicated tasks), G-Tolerance is Physical and more than 2 lvls is Exotic Trait and it represents physical training and experience.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Note that G-Experience is Mundane Mental Trait, so it represent skill (not GURPS Skill, but mundane skill, experience in not so physically hard but complicated tasks), G-Tolerance is Physical and more than 2 lvls is Exotic Trait and it represents physical training and experience.
Or an unusual physiology.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
So (check me if I'm wrong), there is zero benefit in taking G-Experience for a gravity field that falls within your comfortable gravity range, correct?

Also, if after spending some time on the moon, I gain G-Experience (0.16), which is outside my comfortable gravity field range (which is within 0.8 and 1.2G). What is the range for my 0.16G? Is it only for 0.16G or for within 0 and 0.36G?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
So (check me if I'm wrong), there is zero benefit in taking G-Experience for a gravity field that falls within your comfortable gravity range, correct?

Also, if after spending some time on the moon, I gain G-Experience (0.16), which is outside my comfortable gravity field range (which is within 0.8 and 1.2G). What is the range for my 0.16G? Is it only for 0.16G or for within 0 and 0.36G?
1. Yes.

2. If you are an unaltered human with a .2G G-Increment it is probably the 0 to 0.2 G band that you are adapted to and it should probbaly be recorded as such.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
2. If you are an unaltered human with a .2G G-Increment it is probably the 0 to 0.2 G band that you are adapted to and it should probbaly be recorded as such.
I note the RAW:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B350
For instance, an Earth native used to 1G treats 0.81G to 1.19G as zero G-Increments, but 0.8G or 1.2G counts as one G-Increment.
I'm not sure what you're saying, Fred Brackin. The guy in my example didn't grow up on the moon. Let's assume he has experience in both Earth and moon gravity. So he has G-Experience (1.00) for free as his native gravity, and he has G-Experience (0.16) for 1 point as an advantage.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-21-2019 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add last paragraph.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I note the RAW:I'm not sure what you're saying, Fred Brackin. The guy in my example didn't grow up on the moon. Let's assume he has experience in both Earth and moon gravity. So he has G-Experience (1.00) for free as his native gravity, and he has G-Experience (0.16) for 1 point as an advantage.
<sigh> Rounding issue.

G-Increments are an essentially Racial characteristic rather than an individual one. Humans have G-increments 0.2 Gs wide.

You may want to count G-Increments as a personal characteristic but if I were GM I'd tell you that was excessively finicky and I wouldn't figure your G-Increment as going from -0.04 to 0.35. That would be a complicated way to have every PC taking different G-penalties when it's already complicated with Improved G-Tolerance.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:34 AM   #9
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
<sigh> Rounding issue.

G-Increments are an essentially Racial characteristic rather than an individual one. Humans have G-increments 0.2 Gs wide.

You may want to count G-Increments as a personal characteristic but if I were GM I'd tell you that was excessively finicky and I wouldn't figure your G-Increment as going from -0.04 to 0.35. That would be a complicated way to have every PC taking different G-penalties when it's already complicated with Improved G-Tolerance.
So let me ask it a different way. What are the RAW ways for handling a character that grew up on the Earth, and now works on the Earth and the moon. My inclination would be to say he has no penalties in his native gravity: 0.81 - 1.19G, and he has G-Experience (0.16Gj. I think we all agree on that.

Now, what if aliens take him to their moons, which are 0.17G and 0.35G? Does his G-Experience (0.16G) help him on those moon’s?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 08-04-2019 at 11:30 PM.