Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-10-2019, 01:04 AM   #1
Zack112

Default New to TFT, bought the pocketbox version what next?

Hey guys,

Like the title says, I saw the game at my FLGS today and loved the packaging saw it was from the 70's and didn't know much else about it. We've only played Melee but we really liked it. Where do we go from here? I'd really like the advanced rules for Melee and Wizard... do those only come in the Legendary Box or are they included in the Labyrinth rule book?

Since I got the pocket sized version is the smaller size going to be a problem moving forward?

Thanks for your time, sorry if this has been asked before as well. I checked board game geek and there's not really any postings there.

Zack
Zack112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: New to TFT, bought the pocketbox version what next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack112 View Post
Where do we go from here? I'd really like the advanced rules for Melee and Wizard... do those only come in the Legendary Box or are they included in the Labyrinth rule book?
The Pocket Box you picked up is a great travel game, though the counters and maps are not compatible with any other components from The Fantasy Trip Legacy Edition, Death Test, or any newer expansions.

If you're after advanced rules, the In the Labyrinth hardcover book -- set for release next month -- has the goods.

For extended play beyond the skirmish battles of the Pocket Box, we recommend the Legacy Edition box. It's giant, includes the Melee and Wizard games (in the new scale and format), and is loaded with enough content to play The Fantasy Trip for at least three decades (as demonstrated by those who played between 1982 and 2018 using the original sets).

The new Kickstarter project -- Decks of Destiny -- also offers a lot of new material that works well with the Legacy Edition box. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cks-of-destiny
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Zack112

I appreciate the warm welcome y’all, thanks for the quick reply’s too. I’ve never played an rpg, so it sounds like the legacy box is the way to go! I’ll keep checking back at the shop to see if we’re able to order one.

Malchdael, thank you for the scenarios! I have the day off so I think I might try printing those out
Zack112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
larsdangly

Good move; the LE boxed set will just blow your doors off.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
hcobb

There is a talent in that scenario that isn't in your box set.

The bandit leader has an armor value one greater than his leather armor and small shield would give him in melee because of his Toughness talent.

You can ignore this when playing with just the Melee/Wizard rules.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
There is a talent in that scenario that isn't in your box set.

The bandit leader has an armor value one greater than his leather armor and small shield would give him in melee because of his Toughness talent.

You can ignore this when playing with just the Melee/Wizard rules.
hcobb is correct - my initial plan was to stick with Melee/Wizard, but ITL is just loaded with goodness. I should have added a note about that in the scenario.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
JLV

Quote:
I appreciate the warm welcome y’all, thanks for the quick reply’s too. I’ve never played an rpg, so it sounds like the legacy box is the way to go! I’ll keep checking back at the shop to see if we’re able to order one.

Malchdael, thank you for the scenarios! I have the day off so I think I might try printing those out
If you don't want to wait as long (and want a GREAT discount too), you could back the current Kickstarter and get literally *everything* sold to date in ALL the Kickstarters since last summer... Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ny/description

The EVERYTHING pledge at the bottom there is a bit of a chunk of change all in one bite, but trust me, if you wait for it all to trickle into your local store, you'll be out quite a bit more AND you'll be missing some great additions (like the playmats). But, whatever you decide, welcome to a game that some of us have played for 40 years, and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have over all those decades!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The Pocket Box you picked up is a great travel game, though the counters and maps are not compatible with any other components from The Fantasy Trip Legacy Edition, Death Test, or any newer expansions.
Technically, that's partially true. If you purchase the PDF editions of TFT adventures that come with counters, such as TFT Adventures or Four Perilous Journeys, the latter currently on Kickstarter, you can print the counters at 75% scaling onto card stock and use the counters in the classic/pocket box scale. If you print the fronts and backs onto card stock and glue them together, carefully aligned, they are fairly sturdy; almost as good as the Ogre VHS edition. Rubber cement is good; a spray adhesive is even better!

If you can acquire an additional empty pocket box (check add-ons Backerkit on the Pocket Box crowdfund campaign), it's a good place to store homemade counters and take them with you when taking your Pocket Box with you for more advanced adventures. When you're ready for Adventuring with In the Labryinth, you can be fully equipped with the Pocket Box.

I'm a fan of the Pocket Box scale so I have hundreds, probably over a THOUSAND homemade 2mm thick counters specifically for use with TFT! The size may be smaller but the action and adventure is just as big!
Old 05-10-2019, 05:30 AM   #9
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Where do we go from here?
Hi Zack,
Welcome aboard!

Melee is good fun. Wizard is the magic system. That would be my first suggestion. And I would strongly suggest Death Test (either with Melee alone or with both Melee and Wizard). Melee, Wizard and DeathTest were all pocketbox games back in the day and meant to go together.

The new ITL will get you the advanced rules for all of it.

Enjoy.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #10
FireHorse

Quote:
Where do we go from here?
To The Fantasy Trip website, where you'll find all the products listed.

If you want the full Fantasy Trip system, technically you only need the book In The Labyrinth — but you can also get that book with a whole pile of extra goodies in the big Legacy Edition boxed set. (Plus, the enormous box can be used as an emergency shelter in the event of natural disasters.)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote