Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2023, 01:53 AM   #1
transmetahuman

Default Increased Immunity, Inverted

This is the type of Immunity associated with the titular limitation (PU 8 Limitations, p. 14-15), not maximized Resistant. If a target resists certain types of quick contests, he gains a cumulative bonus to resist (or immunity to) repeated attacks by the same person for a period of time. This limitation can be added to any ability with a quick contest; it's not just for the handful of advantages that already have some level of immunity.

I've been thinking about a limitation that gives similar resistance bonuses/immunities to targets who *lose* the quick contest. A Mind Control that can only be successfully used once on any particular target, for example.

If the subject keeps resisting, the attacker can continue to attack him with no penalties (unless the campaign uses the rules in the GURPS: Psi books about repeated efforts, or something similar - I'm assuming this is not the case). But if he fails to resist, the next time the mind controller tries to control him, he'll have a bonus to resist, or complete immunity, for the length of time given on the table for the regular version.

Do you think it would be appropriate to use the same limitation values as the non-inverted limitation? If not, why not? And do you think they should be higher or lower?
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
TGLS

Default Re: Increased Immunity, Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
Do you think it would be appropriate to use the same limitation values as the non-inverted limitation? If not, why not? And do you think they should be higher or lower?
I think there's a pretty good case for not. For some of powers in most use cases, all that matters is the first success. Examples:
-> Mind Control (Conditioning): Get them on side and no need to get them off side
-> Affliction: Transform them once and call it a day. Give them a heart attack and call it a day. Warp them to the moon and call it a day.
-> Possession: Leave their body and never come back
-> Dominance: Can't be undone

So I'd say it should generally be a smaller limitation
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote