Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
CeeDub

Default [Basic] Is a quarterstaff obviously a weapon?

As suggested on Thaumatology: RPM pg. 34?

I always thought one of the appeals of quarterstaves was that they can be disguised as walking sticks. Well, depending on the setting. Won't work in contemporary NYC, but it worked for Gandalf, at least in the Peter Jackson films.

For reference: Word of Kromm on what is and is not a quarterstaff.

Thank you for your consideration.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: [Basic] Is a quarterstaff obviously a weapon?

I wouldn't say that it's obviously a weapon. I would, though, say that it's obviously something which could be easily used as a weapon, because it's a multi-purpose item. Much as an axe can be used to chop down trees or chop down you and me, a quarterstaff can be used to, say, help someone with certain infirmities walk, propel small boats in shallow water, or whack somebody in the head. If someone walks into a room with a quarterstaff, it won't be seen exclusively as a weapon the way sword would be, but a weaponized use would be obvious.

In the Gandalf case, a not-particularly-alert guard would probably buy the "you wouldn't take an old man's support away" line. Old guy, has trouble walking, needs a stick; checks out. Of course, the guard would have to be a little on the slow side to also overlook the fact that the old guy is a well-known wizard, and wizards use staffs in their magic.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
The Colonel

...dunno, you might get away with it more easily in modern settings given than stick fighting is not part of everyday culture anymore. Still, in settings where it is a normal piece of kit, most people carry knives as well without comment so the idea of going armed may be a little flexible.
Let's suggest that no-one would be surprised if you decided to hit someone with it - although a healthy young man would likely be watched far more closely than someone apparently old or otherwise infirm.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a feel for how an old school gentleman's cane would be perceived by modern law enforcement? Obviously they were a standard prop in the early C20, but now no-one carries them routinely ... assuming a man in formal dress, do we thing that police officers, security guards and what have you would see an overdressed man, or a man holding a length of hardwood with a metal weight at one end?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Speaking of which, does anyone have a feel for how an old school gentleman's cane would be perceived by modern law enforcement? Obviously they were a standard prop in the early C20, but now no-one carries them routinely ... assuming a man in formal dress, do we thing that police officers, security guards and what have you would see an overdressed man, or a man holding a length of hardwood with a metal weight at one end?
The typical cane the VA seems to hand out is a metal cane and I havent tried but I bet I could get through TSA with it. Of course my legs make it appear I might need one, though I usually go without the cane.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

A proper quarterstaff has weighted endcaps, a staff without them reduces swing and thrust damage by -1, cost by -$5, and weight by -1 lbs, so it is as much an obvious weapon as a wood ax.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
CeeDub

The weighted endcaps could take the form of an ornate or gnarly head and some reinforcement, probably iron/steel, on the other end, like most walking sticks, canes, and even some umbrellas have.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
The weighted endcaps could take the form of an ornate or gnarly head and some reinforcement, probably iron/steel, on the other end, like most walking sticks, canes, and even some umbrellas have.
For that I'd suggest the weapon have the Ornate quality to be disguised in a sufficiently inoffensive-looking fashion. Essentially, yes I'd allow it, but not by default.

My instinct is to say "make a Fast-Talk check" (or similar Influence skill). So it would be possible to talk a stick weapon past the guards, but you'd have to make a roll. Penalised if I know there's policy guidelines in place. Also penalised based on how fit and mobile the character in question looks.

There'd be a penalty based on the size of the stick in question. So a Harry Dresden staff would be harder to talk through than a cane.

If you look able-bodied and are trying to talk a full-length quarterstaff past the guards, I'd say a total penalty of -4 to the skill check.

If you're a known wizard, an extra -2 again.

Lest anyone get complacent, there's another risk. Even if security decides not to take the stick off you, they will certainly notice the guy carrying it - and be a little more alert than they would be otherwise, or watching your group a little more closely, or whatever else.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Of course, the guard would have to be a little on the slow side to also overlook the fact that the old guy is a well-known wizard, and wizards use staffs in their magic.
And (if the movies are the source) that it doesn't look like a simple walking stick. (In fact Gandalf the White's staff is even more obvious then if he was still Gandalf the Grey, where you could assume it's just a particularly fancy-looking stick he'd stuck a crystal on. Again: movies.)
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Anthony

A quarterstaff will obviously be a heavy, metal-shod staff. It could be mistaken for 'tool that is usable as a weapon' instead of 'weapon', but either way it will be obviously usable as a weapon.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
OldSam

...is the default assumption that it has metal ends?

Did not know that... I would have thought the normal fully wooden version was meant as default (like it is known from japanese martial arts for instance) and the hardened version with metal addition then would be something like a "fine" quarterstaff.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote