Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default Current play?

I managed to get in about 10 hours of TFT campaign play over the last couple of weeks, and am having a blast getting the old group spun back up to a higher level of activity. We're playing a big group of PC's who have drifted into my largest city setting for Cidri. All sorts of mayhem transpired; infiltration of the wizard-guild-run University; plumbing the depths of the city's sewers; clashes with giant spiders that ritualistically hunt the city's districts once per month; a blood-soaked expedition to the cyclopean ruins that surround the city.

Anyone else have some recent campaigns to describe?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
pyratejohn

Default Re: Current play?

My group hasn't meet for our Tollenkar's Lair campaign since... the Kickstarter started. In fact, I don't even know if any of them got in on it. I've been playing solo mostly, and once a week at work with an old gamer friend and a couple of the new guys.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
pyratejohn

Hopefully we will be getting together again soon, but one of the group is at DragonCon this weekend, and next weekend we are heading to the beach. So...

My wife told me she wanted to finish painting her giant mini this evening, so that's a step in the right direction. However, at this point I'm wondering if we should just wait to regroup after the pdfs are released.

You can see my original reports from the game at the following thread:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158262
Old 09-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Mike P.

Hi pyratejohn! Nothing like gaming with the family! How many front, side, and rear hexes does that 2 hex giant have? I'm thinking 3,2,3.
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Hi pyratejohn! Nothing like gaming with the family! How many front, side, and rear hexes does that 2 hex giant have? I'm thinking 3,2,3.
Hi Mike,
A giant has 4 fronts, 2 sides and 3 rears.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Mike P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Mike,
A giant has 4 fronts, 2 sides and 3 rears.

Warm regards, Rick.
A 3 hex giant does. The giant in pyratejohn's campaign is only 2 hexes, and from what I can gather from the photos, its front seems to be along the long side of it, thus I wouldn't think it would have a facing like a normal 2 hex creature such as a horse. It is hard to illustrate without hexes, but I'll try; G being the giant, F,S, and R being his front, side and rear hexes.

_ F F F

S G G S

_ R R R

Take a look at his photos. Note that if the Giant IS shaped like this with his front hexes being along the long side, then it can get pined by 2 1 hex figures in its side hexes, and will not be able to shift to put one of the figures in its front hexes without disengaging.
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:25 AM   #7
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Take a look at his photos. Note that if the Giant IS shaped like this with his front hexes being along the long side, then it can get pined by 2 1 hex figures in its side hexes, and will not be able to shift to put one of the figures in its front hexes without disengaging.
That was the facing layout I was working with, yes. I let you know how that plays out when it happens in a game. If it becomes a problem, I might slide the front to extend to the side and move the sides to the back. At that point there is only one rear hex, which would give her probably make her overpowered.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Skarg

Two other facing schemes I have done for such 2-hex humanoids are:

_ F F F

S G G F

_ R R S

^ That one gives a right-hand bias, but has the advantage of being more like what single-hex humanoids get (50% front hexes).

and

_ F F F

1 G G 1

_ S R S

^ That one is essentially the same as the one you've been using, which has the advantage of being intuitive and symmetrical, but the "1" hexes are like side hexes except they only give attackers a +1 to hit you, not a +2. A shield would also offer protection from the appropriate side but not from the opposite one.

In both cases, you may also at some point find a need for exactly which hexes such a figure can see, throw/ranged-attack-spellcast into, and also which hexes they can two-hex jab into, or not. Also questions about what hexes they occupy when lying down or swimming... and possibly what their vision/spellcasting/disbelief diagram is like at that point.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
RVA_Grandpa

Once I got involved in the kickstarter, I started diving into my boxes of old game materials. Back in 1980 I did most of my play solo using the two Death Tests and other modules. Now I am hoping that with all the renewed interest in the TFT system that I can find some other gamers in the Richmond, Virginia area.

RVA_Grandpa
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 AM   #10
Flavius Marcellus

Hey RVA_Grampa! I'm an old geezer in RVA too. I'm apparently not cool enough to be allowed to use the private messaging system and I don't see the email button they talk about in the FAQ. If you can contact me through this site do so, if not we'll figure something out.
Flavius Marcellus is offline   Reply With Quote