Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
Blind Mapmaker

Default [DF] Reverse Dungeon

For re-activating a DF-esque Forgotten Realms campaign and introducing a couple of new players to the group I'm thinking of using the good, old reverse dungeons. I would be interested if anybody has experience with this sort of thing and/or ideas on how to do this.

A little background: Due to weird magical effects during the Time of Troubles the remaining three characters get teleported into the midst of a dungeon of some kind. This includes their horses and carriage (which they can't afford to lose). They will soon encounter the three new characters. From then on the adventure will be mainly about getting out and making off with some good loot without getting killed on the way. The whole thing shouldn't take more than two or three sessions. The party consists mainly of melee fighters, but also has one fairly badass (if focused) wizard-type and a bard/healer. We are not using straight DF templates and the characters are in the neighbourhood of 325-350 points.

I'm a bit stuck for ideas as for what to use for a backdrop. A cyclopean fortress of some ancient horror later adapted by humanoids might be best to get the carriage through, but I'm not sure whether that makes it too easy.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
Stripe

Default Re: [DF] Reverse Dungeon

My first thought when I read the title was that you would have the PCs be monsters defending the dungeon, which is a common genre and actually the name of a D&D module.

But, after reading your post, I take it by "reverse dungeon" you mean you plan to have the PC's fight their way out instead of fight their way inside?

That's not what I would consider a "reverse dungeon." That's just a regular dungeon where the goal is to escape -- the most common example of which is the jail break scenario.

If I were to run an escape dungeon, I would take reference from Tolkien.

I've read Lord of the Rings twice front cover to back, but I'm not at all a big fan of it (too long, boring). If I remember correctly, when Frodo is in a dark labyrinth of cave tunnels trying to find an exit to escape from the giant spider Shelob, he gets the bright idea to run towards the light. Well, the exit is covered by the spider's webs. It knows that everyone seeks the light of an exit tunnel, so it leaves it there, but covers it with web allowing the light to still get through.

Also, every time the heroes get stuck in a cavern with water -- no doubt scrambling away from an invincible foe or vast army of monsters -- the cliche is to have one notice the water is running. That means all they have to do is take a great big breath, dive underwater and have faith that they will make it out.

If I were doing "Escape from the Evil Dungeon," I'd probably work with both of those, adding twists. Both can be modified to your "Temple of Cyclopsian Doom," but the carriage is going to make everything hard.

Might want to tell us more about the carriage and why it has to come along.

Hope I've helped.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Befuddled

I’d rip off the movie Pitch Black and dump them in a plane of shadows.

Leave them amid a bunch of rubble of several buildings with some other survivors and require them to stay in the lighted area to avoid limitless swarms of minor monsters. Toss in a weak light mage if needed, a few women a children to protect, and the obligatory idiot NPCs to die horribly to show everyone how serious the situation is.

Force them to drag their loaded carriage through craggy mountains towards a distant gleaming point of light they can only hope is an exit portal. Let them worry about diminishing food/water/firewood supplies and tempt them to linger and waste time on gems embedded in the rocks and magic items hoarded by the monsters. Add in the obligatory dungeon-merchants in the form sapient/peaceful monsters willing to help/trade. Let the PCs make a fortune trading the precious light/fire magic gems and items they’ve found in exchange for worthless yellow rocks, gems and non-light/fire magic items.

Finish the adventure with a shadow dragon boss monster trying to rip the exit portal wider so he can get through. Make him extremely tough, but have him distracted by the portal and soldiers on the other side trying to stop him from passing.
Befuddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
My first thought when I read the title was that you would have the PCs be monsters defending the dungeon, which is a common genre and actually the name of a D&D module.
Dang, you're right. I thought that one focused on fighting your way out of a standard D&D dungeon, starting at the bottom level. Turns out it's more like Dungeon Keeper. Should have googled it.

The main idea is, indeed, fighting your way out of a dungeon with the order of encounters reversed. The PCs should start off somewhere near the inner sanctum and then have to decide whether to take on the big bad + most-trusted minions or just escape and get on with the actual quest they've been diverted from.

Using light as a lure is a great idea, running water wouldn't be much of an option unless they really decide to ditch the cart again (they've lost five so far and are getting really possessive by now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befuddled View Post
I’d rip off the movie Pitch Black and dump them in a plane of shadows.

/snip

Finish the adventure with a shadow dragon boss monster trying to rip the exit portal wider so he can get through. Make him extremely tough, but have him distracted by the portal and soldiers on the other side trying to stop him from passing.
I haven't seen the movie, but I really like the idea of stranding them on the Plane of Shadows a lot. I might take your idea and run with it. I can't get rid of the compulsion to see them driving their carriage down a dungeon corridor and have them run into a band of goblins or some oozes or something, though. Maybe some other time.

Last edited by Blind Mapmaker; 10-01-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
Using light as a lure is a great idea, running water wouldn't be much of an option unless they really decide to ditch the cart again (they've lost five so far and are getting really possessive by now).
It could work, say, in a sewer with a locked gate doorway. One player has to dive into the murk and swim under water down the tunnel and beneath the wall to the other side to flick a switch or open the gate for the carriage or rest of the PCs; something like that.

Read the Holding your Breath rules (B351), Swimming rules (B354) and Suffocation rules (B436) to calculate the distance so that rolls are needed. Warn the PC before hand that if rolls are failed, drowning is a possibility. Could make for quite a scary proposition: swim under and unlock the door or face whatever is chasing you.

Quote:
I can't get rid of the compulsion to see them driving their carriage down a dungeon corridor and have them run into a band of goblins or some oozes or something, though. Maybe some other time.
Put the Temple of Cyclopsian Doom in the Plain of Shadows. They make it out, they're still in the shadow dimension from which they still need to escape.

EDIT: Something like this (made in a few minutes): http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1053/switche.png

The switch opens the gate, the switch room can only be accessed by swimming in the blue water that runs under the wall.

Last edited by Stripe; 10-01-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Dang, you're right. I thought that one focused on fighting your way out of a standard D&D dungeon, starting at the bottom level. Turns out it's more like Dungeon Keeper. Should have googled it.

The main idea is, indeed, fighting your way out of a dungeon with the order of encounters reversed. The PCs should start off somewhere near the inner sanctum and then have to decide whether to take on the big bad + most-trusted minions or just escape and get on with the actual quest they've been diverted from.

Using light as a lure is a great idea, running water wouldn't be much of an option unless they really decide to ditch the cart again (they've lost five so far and are getting really possessive by now.

I haven't seen the movie, but I really like the idea of stranding them on the Plane of Shadows a lot. I might take your idea and run with it. I can't get rid of the compulsion to see them driving their carriage down a dungeon corridor and have them run into a band of goblins or some oozes or something, though. Maybe some other time.

One of the more effective dungeons of this sort was to port the party to Disneyland, At first it's easy to loot and slay, but soon the SWAT teams arrive. Getting back home should be a priority.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure design, dungeon fantasy, forgotten realms