Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Pip Boy

Default How to 'heal' disadvantages?

Hello, hive mind!

I'm juggling on a concept for a super character.

He'll be a healer, and I want him to be able to heal not only physical injuries, but psychological ones as well -- he'll be able to wipe clean someone consequences of a botched fright check, frex.
In other exemple, he has the power to make mental and physical disads to go away, 'healing' bloodlust, corrupton, vices, and whatever more seems appropriate, as "diseases of the soul."

Can it be done? How can I build that? What happen to the CP other PCs gathered on those disads?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Gedrin

Default Re: How to 'heal' disadvantages?

I'd let you make this character, providing everyone in the group agreed that if you decided to "fix" PC's they'd fork over half their current unspent XP and half their future XP until the disad/ad was bought off.

Unless you limit it, you could have something you don't want. There are all sorts of disads. Heroin Addiction, Bloodlust, Arachnaphobia, Code of Honor - Gentlemans, Honesty, Sense of Duty - Party Members.

It may already have occured to you, but some people don't want to be "fixed", and may react negatively to your character's power.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Fnordianslip

A modular, cumulative, affliction that only works to negate disadvantages could work pretty well.

Affliction (Heal it all!) 129 pts/level
Cumulative, +400%
Extended Duration, Permanent, +300%
Melee attack, close range, no parry, -35%
Negated Disadvantage, +500%
Selective Effect, +20%

Touch someone and if they succeed on a HT roll (Plus your number of levels) they are healed of any disadvantage worth 50 points or less. You can heal them multiple times as well. Now, mind you, I think Selective Effect will work like that. If not, well then you're looking at a much more expensive Modular Abilities pool that only allows you to create disadvantage healing afflictions.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Dalillama

What if it just changes mental disadvantages. i.e Bad Temper and bloodlust are Healed, and the person now has Sense of Duty (All members of my nationality) and Pacifism (Cannot kill). After all, you're trying to make them better, happier people, right...?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy
Hello, hive mind!

I'm juggling on a concept for a super character.

He'll be a healer, and I want him to be able to heal not only physical injuries, but psychological ones as well -- he'll be able to wipe clean someone consequences of a botched fright check, frex.
In other exemple, he has the power to make mental and physical disads to go away, 'healing' bloodlust, corrupton, vices, and whatever more seems appropriate, as "diseases of the soul."

Can it be done? How can I build that? What happen to the CP other PCs gathered on those disads?
It sounds like its some form of Cosmic Modular Abilities with "Limited: Only Afflictions that Negate Disads permanently" (-50%) (compare the other examples of limited modular abilities on Powers, p. 63-64.) The actual Affliction to negate the disad should be bought with the +300% version of Permanent.

What happens to the CPs depends on your GM and how advantages/disadvantages gained or lost in play are generally handled. This is, of course, a very expensive but potentially very abusable power.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
A modular, cumulative, affliction that only works to negate disadvantages could work pretty well.

Affliction (Heal it all!) 129 pts/level
Cumulative, +400%
Extended Duration, Permanent, +300%
Melee attack, close range, no parry, -35%
Negated Disadvantage, +500%
Selective Effect, +20%

Touch someone and if they succeed on a HT roll (Plus your number of levels) they are healed of any disadvantage worth 50 points or less. You can heal them multiple times as well. Now, mind you, I think Selective Effect will work like that.
Selective Effect doesn't do that; it is expressly a form of Selective Area for non-area of effect attacks that can still affect multiple targets and lets you select which eligible targets are affected while not affecting targets you you don't wish to affect.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin
It may already have occured to you, but some people don't want to be "fixed", and may react negatively to your character's power.
Seriously, if I were some sort of nasty fella, and you were a super who could rewrite my mind, that would make me go nuclear in a hurry. I mean, you say you're just curing me, but I'm a nasty horrible person, and way I see it, if I had the power to mess with other people's minds, I would abuse it horribly, so I can't see why you're not secretly doing the same.

I think a lot of (evil) folks would see you curing them of their Fanaticism(Evil plans) as the same as them dying(or worse). And they would quickly go to very VERY extreme lengths to prevent this from happening. At least thats the reaction I would have happen in a supers game I was GMing.

Anywho, just a thought.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely
It sounds like its some form of Cosmic Modular Abilities with "Limited: Only Afflictions that Negate Disads permanently" (-50%) (compare the other examples of limited modular abilities on Powers, p. 63-64.) The actual Affliction to negate the disad should be bought with the +300% version of Permanent.
The +150% version probably will work as well for most purposes. You can also get some mileage out of Cure Affliction.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

People, why are you doing it in such an ugly way? Look no further than Mind Control (Conditioning Only, -50%).

[edit]Okay, you need either Extended Duration (Permanent), or a specialized form of Super Luck (Limted: MC), or lots of rolls to make sure it doesn't go away.[/edit]

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 06-25-2008 at 06:31 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
People, why are you doing it in such an ugly way? Look no further than Mind Control (Conditioning Only, -50%).
Though that won't work for the physical disadvantages, which was part of what the OP asked to heal.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glowing eyes