Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: What Do You Want For Yrth

Id like to see material that is compatible with other settings, such as a bestiary
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

In the other thread, it was pointed out that there's a LOT of material for Yrth/Banestorm.

It's just that it doesn't have the "Yrth/Banestorm" label slapped on it...
Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
Tyneras

A Yrth/Banestorm compendium or just index for everything not labeled as such would be nice. Would be a good Pyramid article or free stand alone thing.

Quote:
Yrth & Banestorm Compendium!

<Title of thing>
<Book and page number>
<Short description of the thing>
Almost like the intro to a Pyramid issue.

Edit: This would be useful for anything that has widely scattered supplements that may or may not have a distinct label.

Last edited by Tyneras; 05-28-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #14
Anthony

In the end, I want one (or both) of two things out of a setting book:
  1. Inspiration for my own storylines.
  2. Convenient drop-in people and places that I can use to fill in the background for my stories.
Yrth doesn't do a great job out of either one; it doesn't really have any big overarching plots to play with (the big overarching things are fairly static, sure there's a Banestorm but it's kinda just there not doing much) and for (2) what you generally want is areas of high detail that are conveniently near low detail adventuring areas.

I would also note that, in my experience, you're playing with fire any time you use real world religions.

Note that Yrth at the time of the original Banestorm would actually be a pretty decent adventuring setting.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
A Yrth/Banestorm compendium or just index for everything not labeled as such would be nice. Would be a good Pyramid article or free stand alone thing.

Almost like the intro to a Pyramid issue.

Edit: This would be useful for anything that has widely scattered supplements that may or may not have a distinct label.
I would be happy to add it to my GURPS Settings page.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
David Johansen

So, moving forward with the idea of a new continent with people primarily drawn from the Americas, India, and China.

My first thought is that there would be different elven, dwarven, and orcish cultures. There may have been some awareness of Ytarria and even some comings and goings but it doesn't see that the seafaring technology was up to much trade and commerce.

So, suppose on another continent the dwarves are Neolithic barbarians and the elves are fighting a losing war with orcs serving a dark lord when the banestorm suddenly deposits a bunch of crazy humans all over the place. The Aztecs quickly side up with the dark lord but she never fully trusts them because they're crazy by her standards. The Hindus and the elves ally and the Chinese and the dwarves find common cause in trying to survive. By the modern age we have The Empire of the Darkened Sun dominating the continent with scattered enclaves of other cultures holding out against it.

Any thoughts?
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #17
Proteus

I don't want anything specific for Yrth: as GURPS' default fantasy setting, it benefits from just about any early-historical or fantastic material produced for the game.

That said, it might be useful for fantasy publications to briefly but specifically call out to Yrth and other potential settings, by offering some specific ideas on how, say, incantation magic might fit into Megalos' wizarding culture, or the Technomancer timeline, or the world of Roma Arcana. A few paragraphs here and there would provide good intra-line advertising, spur the imagination of new players/GMs intimidated by the Erector set that is GURPS' rules set, and offer good brainstorming fodder in general.

But what I'd really like is a generic GURPS Worlds of Fantasy (or, even better yet, GWoF 1, with sequels): something along the lines of Infinite Worlds, Lands out of Time, or Zombies: Day One. Offer several sketches of campaign worlds, each with enough crunch and fluff to appeal to the various wings of the player base, with enough detail to offer some compatibility between different groups' interpretations (and sharing of personal inventions via blogs, etc.) while still allowing room for a referee's own tinkering.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
Refplace

Well on the wish list is various races and compatibility with Banestorm is a requirement. So those would be good items to expand on Yrth.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #19
Ashtagon

Maybe a different approach entirely? Treat Yrth as simply the first of a line of fantasy settings within the other Infinite Worlds metasetting?
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
Maybe a different approach entirely? Treat Yrth as simply the first of a line of fantasy settings within the other Infinite Worlds metasetting?
Discworld is mentioned in Infinite Worlds as existing within the setting.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wishlist, yrth