Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #421
Kalzazz

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

I wore them for prison, a shininess deficiency would have resulted in unkind words from my sergeant

I never wore the objectionable footwear at highway speeds (fortunately I've also avoided mishaps in general involving highway speeds), in town mishaps my footwear either worked or I was lucky

Why does O'Toole want a half helmet? And Chase has no helmet?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #422
Icelander

Default Re: Biker gear for Iron Order MC cover identities

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Under a jacket that's fine (even hanging open if he's wearing a couple of shirts, like a nice high undershirt and a plaid, or if it's cold enough a hoodie). But his cut (vest) is a different story. Most guys don't go for high button up cuts, or if they do, they wear them hanging open when they aren't riding (it's for ease of reaching for anything holstered under them).
I imagined that the hoodie would conceal the body armour and that the cut would indeed be hanging open in the front, but worn outside the hoodie and denim jacket.

Where could he fit abrasion and impact protection inserts?

Might it be best to wear some kind of sport vest under the body armour, fitted with a back protector? Then his denim jacket and jeans could have kevlar inserts for the knees and elbows, at least.

Quote:
Cowboy style boots are fine for riding. They might be uncomfortable if Chase isn't used to wearing them (I can't wear them at all for instance), but if he can wear them for hours without feeling cramped or getting footsore, he can ride with them.
I regret to say that Taylor regards leather cowboy boots as a stylish accompaniment to formal dress. As he's also under the impression that a plaid shirt with sleeves and a denim jacket without any great quantity of engine oil on it constitutes dressing up in a 'shirt and jacket', he's somewhat sartorially challenged in polite company.

Let to his own devices, he'd wear tank tops or muscle shirts, maybe sleeveless plaid vests if more than one upper garment seemed called for, as well as blue jeans and sneakers or boots depending on what he was doing. Oh, or athletic wear, which is what he wears much of the time, as he really enjoys physical exercise. Ideally, Taylor wouldn't need jackets, shirts or any heavy clothing, not wearing such except during the winter, which he'd prefer to have as short as possible.

Quote:
In fact they have 'cowboy' style riding boots, which have the thicker leather and non-skid soles of riding boots, but the shape and style of a cowboy boot.
What kind of skill modifiers, if any, and DR are we looking at?

Various footwear gives +/-2 to such skills as Climbing, Hiking, Running and Stealth. I suppose Driving (Motorcycle) might be affected as well. Ideally, we'd want to avoid penalties to any skills, but provide at least decent protection while riding.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #423
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Why does O'Toole want a half helmet? And Chase has no helmet?
Ah, they're both meant to be wearing half helmets. The reason is that it seems the most popular helmet style among outlaw MC bikers and those trying to dress like them.

Not wearing a helmet at all gives police a legitimate reason to stop them, but half helmets are street legal and, it seems, regarded as more acceptable in One-Percenter society than more protective helmets.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #424
Kalzazz

If it's cold I quite recommend Fly Racing Aurora gloves

http://www.flyracing.com/product/sno...love/724/black

I have a pair and love them, I use them for LARPing in the cold as well as with a bike

Edit - biking is horrible for freezing your hands, they are out there in the full force of the winds getting frozen! The cuffs on the glove keep the cold air from going inside your sleeves to freeze you to

Last edited by Kalzazz; 06-28-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #425
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Where could he fit abrasion and impact protection inserts?
For that I'd literally go with "He wears a jacket that incorporates it", maybe chaps if he can get over the 'stereotype' (honestly it's not an issue in my area, but Chase is from Georgia which mentally is a bit more The South than Florida). A lot of guys ride with a decent leather jacket with reinforced elbows. Most* hog riders skip stuff like 'fancy' (anything that's more than just an extra layer of leather) armored jackets, knee and elbow pads, and armored gloves... because they are Real Men[TM].

* In fact it's safe to say I've never seen a Harley rider that wore more protection than a jacket, helmet, riding gloves, riding boots, and chaps. Most eschew chaps, many eschew the jacket. Almost all at least wear riding gloves, helm† (half-helm), and boots though.

And by 'riding gloves', I mean the thin leather riding/driving gloves.

† In Florida many skip this. Our laws allow for that with a lot of extra insurance required and most cops won't bother pulling someone over to check, unless they are looking for a reason to pull you over, then it's a good one. Likewise with improper footwear (flip-flops and sandals are explicitly not allowed to be worn by motor vehicle drivers in Florida despite it happening a lot).

Quote:
Might it be best to wear some kind of sport vest under the body armour, fitted with a back protector? Then his denim jacket and jeans could have kevlar inserts for the knees and elbows, at least.
He should skip denim and go with subtly reinforced leather jacket and chaps. Unless denim is required for the cover i.d.

Quote:
I regret to say that Taylor regards leather cowboy boots as a stylish accompaniment to formal dress.
Many in The South do. It's not uncommon. At least he isn't one of those "these are my formal flip-flops" heathens that we get here in Florida.

Quote:
As he's also under the impression that a plaid shirt with sleeves and a denim jacket without any great quantity of engine oil on it constitutes dressing up in a 'shirt and jacket', he's somewhat sartorially challenged in polite company.
That's a very common attitude for "good ole boys and gals". However, keep in mind, his Momma probably raised him better, so he will understand that sometimes one simply must be a bit more formal (clean slacks, button-up shirt, clean shoes (or impeccable boots*) and jacket).

* Many Good Ole Boys take extraordinary pride in their footwear. I am obviously not a GOB.

Quote:
What kind of skill modifiers, if any, and DR are we looking at?
Standard riding boots, probably DR 2*. 'Up armored' boots would give as much as DR 2*/3* (Everything/Crashes).

The extra bit for crashes comes from the large metal rings over the ankles, extra reinforcement on the ankle and soles, etc, but the overall boot isn't really going to stop bullets any better.

* Flexible.

Quote:
Various footwear gives +/-2 to such skills as Climbing, Hiking, Running and Stealth. I suppose Driving (Motorcycle) might be affected as well. Ideally, we'd want to avoid penalties to any skills, but provide at least decent protection while riding.
Boots (even gym shoes) would count as "Proper Gear" for skill mods. Anything less should give a penalty.

Slick soled shoes/boots (cowboy boots, business shoes, etc) should give a -2 to controlling a bike at very slow speed (the kind of speeds where you put your foot down to balance) and stops, as it's so very easy for your foot to slip and for you to fall over and lay the bike down.

Flip-flops and sandals (and loose or untied shoes) would be -4 at those speeds, -2 in general (the ease of one's foot slipping off the pedal).

I'd be liable to treat high heels as sandals.

Some people claim that anything with laces is a hazard... but as I mentioned above, personally I think this is simply skill failure and "the laces got caught" is the excuse for the skill roll failure.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #426
Kalzazz

Riding jackets can have detachable liners for wear in cold weather
Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #427
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The Iron Order MC are actually not an outlaw biker club, having a high percentage of members with law enforcement and military background, but they dress very much like a One-Percenter club.
I know very little about biker clubs, but is there a significant chance of meeting genuine Iron Order members on the road? I presume they would not be pleased if they discovered the fake members.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #428
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I know very little about biker clubs, but is there a significant chance of meeting genuine Iron Order members on the road? I presume they would not be pleased if they discovered the fake members.
In the Juarez Valley, chance encounters, as such, are unlikely. Despite being less than an hour from the El Paso-Juarez urban area, it's like crossing into another world. Or going back in time. Barefoot people on muddy, unpaved 'streets', using donkeys to get around. Deserted haciendas and failed cotton fields.

And, of course, because of the events of the last decade, bullet holes in sun-bleeched houses, apprehensive locals peering from windows, gangs of brutal killers openly carrying illegal weapons and nine out of ten former inhabitants dead or displaced.

The reason the PCs didn't just pretend to be ordinary tourists is that the Juarez Valley is like the opening scene to a spaghetti Western, before the Man Without a Name rides into town, except it's real and in the modern world. Nobody comes there for any reason unrelated to the narcos.

As far as Onyx Rain knows, no outlaw MC has direct connections to the Caballero Templarios who rule there. Of course, many bikers buy or even sell meth, coke, heroine and weed that originated with the CT cartel and their allies/bosses of the Sinaloa cartel, but Onyx Rain believes all of them get their supply through one or more intermediaries. Besides, even if some One-Percenter club was buying directly from someone in the Juarez Valley and transporting it over the border themselves, it wouldn't be the Iron Order MC.

Last edited by Icelander; 06-28-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #429
Icelander

Quote:
For that I'd literally go with "He wears a jacket that incorporates it",
I guess I can see how the outer layer would be good for abrasion resistance, but my concern is that losing or leaving a jacket worn over concealed armour, load-bearing gear and weapons is a lot more likely than a support garment worn under these.

Quote:
maybe chaps if he can get over the 'stereotype' (honestly it's not an issue in my area, but Chase is from Georgia which mentally is a bit more The South than Florida).
Chase Taylor is from Alabama, born and bred. He finished high school in Luverne, the county seat of Crenshew County.

It's true that he married a Georgia girl and had children by her an' they lived down Georgia way, but Taylor is a 'Bama boy.

Which, of course, is very South indeed. But despite looking, sounding and dressing like a love-child of them Duke boys and David Duke, Taylor's views on social equality and embracing differences are somewhere to the left of Martin Luther King and Harvey Milk.

Quote:
A lot of guys ride with a decent leather jacket with reinforced elbows. Most* hog riders skip stuff like 'fancy' (anything that's more than just an extra layer of leather) armored jackets, knee and elbow pads, and armored gloves... because they are Real Men[TM].

* In fact it's safe to say I've never seen a Harley rider that wore more protection than a jacket, helmet, riding gloves, riding boots, and chaps. Most eschew chaps, many eschew the jacket. Almost all at least wear riding gloves, helm† (half-helm), and boots though.
Indeed, that's sort of what I suspected.

Quote:
And by 'riding gloves', I mean the thin leather riding/driving gloves.
What kind of penalty to Guns would they give?

Quote:
He should skip denim and go with subtly reinforced leather jacket and chaps. Unless denim is required for the cover i.d.
There's no special reason for wearing a denim jacket instead of a leather jacket, except that I felt it would look pretty redundant to wear a leather vest with a leather jacket. Also, two PCs have leather stuff, seemed like there should be some variation.

Besides, is the leather actually protective? Isn't it the kevlar or other material inserts that actually provide protection?

Quote:
Many in The South do. It's not uncommon. At least he isn't one of those "these are my formal flip-flops" heathens that we get here in Florida.
Thinking about it, I'm sure he'd go barefoot every chance he got, in a proper warm climate. He's used to 90-100 degrees for a whole lot of months.

Quote:
That's a very common attitude for "good ole boys and gals". However, keep in mind, his Momma probably raised him better, so he will understand that sometimes one simply must be a bit more formal (clean slacks, button-up shirt, clean shoes (or impeccable boots*) and jacket).
Mama did raise him to dress for church, it's true. And as long as he has a girlfriend, wife or some kind of motherly figure to dress him, I figure he'd be all right. He'd feel awkward, but tolerate it, because he mustn't shame Mama.

In the absence of the civilising influence, however, it's very obvious that ever since he was a teenager, he hasn't had much of a chance to develop a sartorial sense. The Army issues clothing for every occasion and at Ft. Leavenworth, there wasn't any call for dressing up.

Quote:
* Many Good Ole Boys take extraordinary pride in their footwear. I am obviously not a GOB.
Yeah, I think fancy boots will be Taylor's idea of a fancy getup. Also, a huge metal belt buckle in the shape of something tasteless, like this Crimson Tide one.

Quote:
Standard riding boots, probably DR 2*. 'Up armored' boots would give as much as DR 2*/3* (Everything/Crashes).

The extra bit for crashes comes from the large metal rings over the ankles, extra reinforcement on the ankle and soles, etc, but the overall boot isn't really going to stop bullets any better.

* Flexible.
Stopping bullets is less of a concern. Well, I mean, it would be nice, but you're considerably more likely to be shot in any number of other areas before you get in the foot. No, the DR is for the inevitable fall from a speeding bike and painful tumbling over hard ground, ankle-snapping stones and flesh-tearing gravel.

Quote:
Boots (even gym shoes) would count as "Proper Gear" for skill mods. Anything less should give a penalty.

Slick soled shoes/boots (cowboy boots, business shoes, etc) should give a -2 to controlling a bike at very slow speed (the kind of speeds where you put your foot down to balance) and stops, as it's so very easy for your foot to slip and for you to fall over and lay the bike down.

Flip-flops and sandals (and loose or untied shoes) would be -4 at those speeds, -2 in general (the ease of one's foot slipping off the pedal).

I'd be liable to treat high heels as sandals.

Some people claim that anything with laces is a hazard... but as I mentioned above, personally I think this is simply skill failure and "the laces got caught" is the excuse for the skill roll failure.
Ok, but boots that look like cowboy boots, allow controlling a motorcycle without a penalty and give DR 2* to the foot, do these give a penalty to any of Acrobatics, Climbing, Jumping, Running or Stealth?

Being realistic about things, I'm pretty sure Taylor is going to go from riding a bike at unhealthy speeds to performing stealthy parkour without any time to change his clothes in between. It's what heroes do.

It's probably best to plan for one or more tumbles from a motorcycle at higher speed than is entirely safe, followed by numerous checks against any and all of the above skills.

Our GM feels we were entirely too cautious on Jewell Island and is threatening some proper superhero action. Apparently, being more awesome than any real high-speed, low-drag special operator is overkill if we're just going to confront mundane challenges in a sane way. So, well, we're in a valley that has been the murder capital of the world for a while and it appears that everyone not hiding in terror inside their homes is hostile in some way.

Our potential enemies range from the halcones and sicarios from some three or four cartels that might want to claim the area, Mexican Army soldiers apparently working for one or more cartels, tattoo-sporting MS-13 maniacs and, oh, El Patron Raul Vargas, that jolly old super-powered psychopath, and his merry band of lethally LARP-ing Caballeros Templarios.

We're on a blind date with destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Last edited by Icelander; 06-29-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #430
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Riding jackets can have detachable liners for wear in cold weather
The weather forecast was in the 40s° F, which would have been freezing when on a bike, but the actual weather seems significantly warmer. It's 72° F at the moment, partly sunny, with a light breeze and overall much nicer than we thought it would be.

It's too bad about the supervillains, really.

Tags
federal agencies, hans-christian vortisch, high-tech, jade serenity, modern firepower, special ops