Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-23-2018, 02:01 AM   #1
InfinitePudding

Default My younger friend had this wonderful idea!

I've been getting my friend hyped to play DFRPG with me, him and some others and today I was showing him the different professions to help him decide what he wanted to be. I confided that I didn't know if I was really ready to run a game yet and he had a genius idea.

We would just have sessions with the two of us and he would use a full party of ready made characters (I showed him delvers to go) and he would learn the system and I would learn to GM with just one player. We are both really comfortable with each other and that way there wont be so much worry about either of us messing up.

That is such a great idea I had to share it in case anyone else here is on the fence about learning to GM. If you have a really good friend, just double up and learn together. :) I'm really excited to get started with him.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
ArchonShiva

Default Re: My younger friend had this wonderful idea!

It can be done in video games, right? That approach tends to run out of steam because of the lack of input from only have two people involved, but it’s certainly a valid test run!

I strongly recommend a small, straightforward party including a cleric, a wizard and a knight, to limit the size of encounters. Probably make the cleric concentrate on melee combat, to have a strong frontline and keep the complicated decisions with the wizard.

Of cole, you guys are allowed to go crazy! A martial artist, a bard and a druid might have a hard time in the dungeon, but they can certainly have fun!
Old 04-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
I strongly recommend a small, straightforward party including a cleric, a wizard and a knight, to limit the size of encounters.
I recomend the standard Five Man Band: Knight, Cleric, Wizard, Theif*, Off-Tank/Damage†.

* If you want you could take a Scout and add Lockpicking and Traps with the 5 Quirk points and have an adequate coverage for the Thief role in the dungeon.

† If your Cleric is a bit squishy I'd aim at an Off-Tank, like Holy Warrior or Barbarian. If the Cleric is beefy with a decent Block and Parry defenses and decent armor, I'd go with an Off-Damage dealer like Barbarian, Scout, or Swashbuckler.

[EDIT]
Also I'd run I Smell A Rat (often abbr as ISAR on the forums) and Against the Rat-Men as your first two test run dungeons. ISAR has some issues though, so read the handful of threads dotted around this forum for guidance.

You All Meet At an Inn from Pyramid 98 is also a good intro adventure, but definitely read the thread here for the issues with it.

Dungeon woes (spoilers for I Smell a Rat)

[Spoilers] Experience running ISAR and some concerns

[Dungeons][DM only]My first experience in DFRPG/"I smell a Rat"

[I Smell a Rat Minor Spoiler]Extra Attacks

Experiences running "I Smell A Rat"?

Grappling

I Smell a Rat battle maps (spoilers)

Against the Rat Men Experiences? (Spoilers)

I smell a phase rat

You All Meet at an Inn

And this one is just good to read:
Difficult monsters
[/EDIT]

Last edited by evileeyore; 04-23-2018 at 02:52 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
InfinitePudding

Thanks guys. :) We were going to use the characters in delvers to go, maybe not all of em but enough for a party.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #5
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
. . . , so read the handful of threads dotted around this forum for guidance.
Very cool. Thanks for consolidating that index Evileeyore.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Very cool. Thanks for consolidating that index Evileeyore.
No problem. It's also right here for me next time i want it!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote