Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #91
Chris Rice

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

I have the HOW monster book and it is really rather good, but hopefully now there will be an official TFT version at some point. I didn't particularly like the HOW rules however. As to Dark City, I think their Legends rules were only ever intended to allow people without a ruleset of their own to play their excellent little micro adventures. When playing these myself I used Melee/Wizard and or TFT instead. I did like some of their simplifications though, such as doing away with continuing spell costs.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #92
meteoricshipyards

This is great! I would love to get back to the simpler TFT rules. I loved Gurps, but the 4th edition seemed to exceed my mental capacity.

Is there any chance of modern (Pulp, actually) or SciFi rules additions? Not sure what your rights allow you to do.

Tom A.
(wow, can't believe I remembered my password on this site!)
meteoricshipyards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #93
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoricshipyards View Post
Not sure what your rights allow you to do.
Given that the copyright is absolute, and that he's the original designer, I suspect his "rights" allow him to do anything he wants.

Frankly, Steve, were I you, I'd wait to see how the original TFT does before I expanded the system into other genres; though you could play around with DCGs Old West an Space versions and see what, if anything, attracts you. Besides, if someone wants multiple genres in the same system, that's what GURPS was designed to do from the ground up!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #94
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I have the HOW monster book and it is really rather good, but hopefully now there will be an official TFT version at some point. I didn't particularly like the HOW rules however. As to Dark City, I think their Legends rules were only ever intended to allow people without a ruleset of their own to play their excellent little micro adventures. When playing these myself I used Melee/Wizard and or TFT instead. I did like some of their simplifications though, such as doing away with continuing spell costs.
Personally, I found the monsters a bit overpowered if CRB was going for the old D&D feel -- those monsters are murderous, and based on D&D, they were easier meat than that. On the other hand, the monsters are more or less in keeping with TFT, which had a high death rate (not a real problem from the mechanical perspective, since you can create a new character in about five minutes). Still, I tend to nerf them a bit when using them, even in TFT.

Spells were good, though a lot seemed too nit-picky -- I liked some of the "utility" spells though (Magic Mouth, etc.) since those were never included in TFT back in the day. TFT always seemed to try to cut to the common denominator in their magic spells -- Spell A can also be used to cause the same effects as in some other game's Spell A, Spell B, Spell C and Spell D, without having to create redundant versions all over the place. Frankly, that was one of the things I really enjoyed about TFT, plus it meant that someone could get a Wizard character up and running in about 5-10 minutes instead of laboring over spell lists for half a day...

As to DCG, I actually thought they did some very clever things with their system -- including having experience apply to various things separately -- which promptly helped defeat "Attribute Bloat;" I would love to see some variation on that theme from Steve (though I rather doubt he'll undertake any substantive re-writes, based on his earlier comments), since Attribute Bloat was a significant problem in any campaign that lasts more than a few months... And certainly the "continuing spell" costs involve more bookkeeping than most modern players like (though, you have to remember that when TFT was originally published, we were all playing things like Stellar Conquest which required reams of paperwork, and enjoying them very much!).

Of course, YMMV and all that, but simplicity and ease of use were absolutely key to TFT in my mind. Why, 15 years ago, after I hadn't played TFT in 15 years, I was able to skim the rules for about fifteen minutes and pick it back up immediately, introduce my sons to it, and start a campaign with them the same day. I can't really say that any other FRPG ever was that accessible to me...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #95
ColBosch

See, I'd like a nice big box with loads of minis and fully-painted maps, because I love games with strong "toy feel." Plus, I like painting minis.

I also see how people like the old Microgame format. It's certainly convenient! So, perhaps when the Kickstarter comes around, SJ Games should consider doing two editions at once: a smaller "grognard" version, and a big "mass market" version. It certainly worked for Ogre Designer's Edition; the recreation of the original Microgame has become quite the hot item on the secondary market, sometimes going for more than the actual old editions!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #96
afschell

FWIW, I would like to see:

1) BESTIARIES
2) One book that combines AM, AW, and ITL
3) Smaller booklets for adventures (solitaire or not)
4) Generic maps and counters.
5) Digital versions of all the above

My gaming group has morphed from all F2F to 98% virtual. Minis, while very cool, would only be of value to me if there were solitaire adventures (with maps) to enjoy.

I am currently running a DFRPG campaign based on various PF and 5e modules. Converting monsters (or locating similar beasts without a consolidated monster tome) definitely consumes the majority of prep time. Followed closely by making the VTT maps. Neither of these activities are extremely creative; just a lot of grunt work. Anything to reduce that time requirement will be greatly appreciated!

Again, just my two cents worth.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #97
SimonAce

Talk about playing the long game.

Congratulations and well played,
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #98
Stripe

Just heard the news! Yay!

Congratulations!!!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #99
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I want a fully modern presentation ...
I'll put in a plea for great art by Liz Danforth and Pat Hidy!
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #100
LifeIsFun

Dear Steve,

Please accept my sincere thanks. Back in the 1980's I was a dorky college freshman with a love of fantasy gaming, and TFT was the vehicle that led to many hours of bonding with some of my oldest and dearest friends. And even though some of us have already passed on to the next great adventure, the few who remain still gather together for the occasional, long-weekend and dig out our favorite characters for a mission.

I have played a lot of games in the last -- too many years to count. But I really admired the simplicity of TFT. It is the only game that survived the gaming addiction purge when I got married and started a family. And I still play daily in very slow PBEM campaigns. PBEM doesn't interfere with the obligations of family and career.

I wonder if you are aware that devoted fans and would-be game designers kept the legacy of your game alive with bulletin boards that allowed GM's to post issues and receive community based resolution? I wonder if you know that some very creative individuals spun off their own "house rules" into massive expanded systems of their own? I'm sure you probably know.

And please don't think those of us who debated and fiddled with the cannon texts, ungrateful. Most if not all of us also played GURPS and had many enjoyable years under those rules as well. But there is a simplicity to TFT that allows you to run a game even if you've had a few beers that most of the more complicated (realistic) systems confound. And we could teach a newbie TFT in an hour, making it easy to bring in new players.

So, I am pleased that you have regained the rights to TFT. I don't expect that it would be very profitable to add to the content. But, if you get around to it, I'd love to get a clarification on what you intended concerning Hand to Hand engagement rules. I have yet to meet a group that interpreted the rules for HTH engagement the same way. The trouble comes with allowing attacks during movement, or movements during attack. :)

But, even if you don't reply, and even if you don't read this at all, I'm still thankful that you published the game. Thanks a million!

Good Fortune,
Richard Walters, aka LifeIsFun
LifeIsFun is offline   Reply With Quote