Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
eggdropsoap

Default Ornate gloves: do they give full reaction roll bonus?

I’m just getting my first DFRPG campaign started by facilitating PC creation. One of my players (the system-mastery one, not surprising) asked if buying ornate cloth armour gloves gives the full bonus to reaction rolls. It seems like it would, the way the Ornate modifier is described, and I can’t imagine any reason you couldn’t add Ornate to just one piece of armour. A +4 CF doesn’t seem like much when the base cost is $5!

My response to the player was sure, you can do that, but it could be contextual, with bonuses on small worn items possibly not applying if the item is obscured. Not that I’d arrange that on purpose, but that I can imagine events making that happen. (“Remember the mud you had to rescue your bag from? You’re talking to the merchant and suddenly notice the state of your ornate gloves is a disgrace…”)

I’m comfortable… enough… letting the imaginary reality lead how things work, but I’m hoping y’all can either confirm or correct my take on this use of Ornate. It’s a learning opportunity. :)
eggdropsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Harald387

Default Re: Ornate gloves: do they give full reaction roll bonus?

It works, but note that it isn't a blanket reaction bonus 'all the time'; the reaction bonus applies to buyers (for when he tries to sell the gloves) and to gullible hirelings. I might extend it to anyone who is the sort to be impressed by displays of wealth, but it's still significantly less broad than (say) the bonus from Appearance or Charisma and (I suspect) less useful than your player expects.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
eggdropsoap

OHHHH.

I misread it as well! Thank you very much for the lightbulb moment. :)
eggdropsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggdropsoap View Post
A +4 CF doesn’t seem like much when the base cost is $5!
I put an end to such shenanigans by totally the 'reaction bonus' for all pieces of armor/clothing individually and then dividing by the number of pieces of armor... unless they were selling that individual piece of armor/clothing.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote