Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Magic Weapon: Advantage or Signature Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
Well, cybernetics breaks that definition: it's powerful technology bought as an advantage, so yeah - I'd have to say that the SG trait is broken RAW.
There's no rule that says that implants and bionics have to cost points either. Chapter 9 of the Basic Set actually gives several options.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #32
gjc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragwulf View Post
But how are you're Street Sams gonna like that?
Even in Shadowrun, buying implanted weaponry (especially implanted melee weapon) seemed to me like a waste of money and essence. The reason to be a street samurai was to get Wired (or Boosted or whatever) Reflexes, a Smartgun link, etc. Stuff that you can't buy (or at least doesn't work as well) if gotten externally.

In GURPS, this means that rather than Strikers, you spend your points on Gunslinger, Extra Attack (Multistrike), etc.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #33
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
Even in Shadowrun, buying implanted weaponry (especially implanted melee weapon) seemed to me like a waste of money and essence. The reason to be a street samurai was to get Wired (or Boosted or whatever) Reflexes, a Smartgun link, etc. Stuff that you can't buy (or at least doesn't work as well) if gotten externally.

In GURPS, this means that rather than Strikers, you spend your points on Gunslinger, Extra Attack (Multistrike), etc.
That, my friend, is a matter of style of play. There are Tank Sams, Speedster Sams, and Sly Sams, Sneaky Sams, and other variants, I'm sure.

My favorite trick was a mono-wire whip finger on each hand. I would often hold the tip of one in the other hand and Garrote sentries.

I once played a character with a "Finger for every occasion."

Though I'll give you a thumbs up for identifying Gunslinger as the GURPS form of Smartlink. I'd have just stuck with a Nueral HUD, but Gunslinger would tend to be more representative of the tech, I think, especially with the palm-sensor interface rather than a physical jack.

{Edit: Though isn't Gunslinger limited to pistols? Or am I remembering too much 3rd Edition? }

<><

Last edited by Dragyn; 08-17-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
{Edit: Though isn't Gunslinger limited to pistols? Or am I remembering too much 3rd Edition? }
No, though its performance with two-handed and automatic weapons isn't the same as with pistols.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #35
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
No, though its performance with two-handed and automatic weapons isn't the same as with pistols.
Thank you. I have pdfs available right now, but looking at them would be a dead giveaway to my boss. :>

<><
Old 08-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #36
Dragyn

Smartlink (TL9)
Accessory (HUD) [1]; Gunslinger (Temporary Disadvantage, Electrical -20%; Accessibilty, Only with Smartlink-equipped weaponry -10%) [18]. 19 points.

I like it. :)

<><
Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Smartlink (TL9)
Accessory (HUD) [1]; Gunslinger (Temporary Disadvantage, Electrical -20%; Accessibilty, Only with Smartlink-equipped weaponry -10%) [18]. 19 points.
Does the setting have Beam Weapons? Are heavy weapons typically linked as well? If not then you can further limit Gunslinger.

While I can understand the link giving a bonus to hit, how does it eliminate Bulk Penalties?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #38
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
While I can understand the link giving a bonus to hit, how does it eliminate Bulk Penalties?
Bulk penalties are essentially assessed due to the difficulty of keeping your gun in a steady position, and the effort required to bring it to that position, while moving or in close combat. A smartlink means the former is automatically compensated for and you don't have to bother with the latter -- just point and shoot, no matter how you're holding the gun. (Much like the stereotypical Gunslinger, in fact.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #39
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
Like I said, Sigear sounds like it represents my concept perfectly, it's just so cheap - stacked up to advantages and cyber, it's unbalanced.
Well, not always. First off, I haven't seen you respond to the posts about TL9 costs as compared to TL3 costs for magic items; since those costs per energy point are based on mages' wages, they really do have to come up, or you won't have anybody willing to work as an enchanter. Secondly, even if sticking my GURPS Magic prices for magic items and Cyberpunk prices for cyberware, it still depends a great deal on which specific effects you're buying. Sure, a slightly modified weapon might be a lot cheaper bought with $ as Sig Gear, an amulet of Missile Shield might be not only cheaper as Sig Gear but practically impossible to buy as a Gadget-limited Advantage (although really you should be paying the 1 CP per 25 energy or adjusting $ prices for TL9, anyway), but on the other hand a Girdle of Giant Strength that gives you a constant ST 30 without energy cost for activation or maintenance as long as it's worn will actually be a lot cheaper bought as +X Fixed ST with suitable Gadget limitations than the $ or energy cost one would get for an item enchanted with Might and enough Power not to require energy from the wearer. It all depends.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #40
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Well, not always. First off, I haven't seen you respond to the posts about TL9 costs as compared to TL3 costs for magic items; since those costs per energy point are based on mages' wages, they really do have to come up, or you won't have anybody willing to work as an enchanter.
Yes, I did: the price from TL3 to TL9 jumped from $5000 for each of the final cost of the listed basic enchantments to $25000 each (based on the Monthly Wages for Enchanters listed in Magic as $700 at TL3 compared to $3,600 in TL9) - making the total cp for ACC+1, PUC+1, and Ghostsword added to a silver-edged tomahawk $75,120 or 5 CP.
Danukian is offline   Reply With Quote