Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #51
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Re: Post Your Characters!

This is an NPC build on the same points as the PCs that serves as their "Tactical liaison", basically the Mission Control NPC I mentioned in the Mission Control thread.

Angelica "Futaba" Shields

100 points.

Angelica "Futaba" Shields is a gamer, a geek, and an Otaku. She's 12 years old, but incredibly smart. She has been recruited by a shadowy organization with the purpose of integrating Shadowkinds (creatures from a world very similar to D&D)into our society, after she has succeeded in hacking several of their secure servers, only managing to be tracked after her 27th break in. She had initially dismissed the critical data she had acquired as bait because "D&D wasn't real", but when the shadowy organization came knocking and interrogated her, things became clear to her. And it was a dream come true. She was recruited as she was a very talented hacker and her talents wouldn't put her in physical danger. She was trained as a "tactical liaison", basically overseeing the operations of a squad of field agents and providing computer based support. She spends a large amount of her pay in video games and otaku related merchandise, clothes, and so on. Strangely, for an otaku, she has a balanced diet, a fact that is mostly due to the shadowy organization forcing her to. She is kind of a klutz,which is why she stores her vast collection of merchandise in locked displays, and has a tendency to (badly) play Rainbow 6 Siege in her sleep. She has also trained as in technomagic, and various hacking and support skill such as cryptography, tactics and intelligence analysis, and she is skilled in the use of 3D animation software which she could put to use for propaganda videos should the need arise but that she mostly uses for a RWBY fan project named "VNLA". She also has a tendency to wear fun T-shirts, spend way toomuch time on video games, playing video game or anime OST in the squad's commlink or even through speakers in the AI should the team grant her access to security systems (so any music they hear while on missions is diegetic), and after any of her hacks, she leavs the Phantom Thieves of Hearts logo from Persona 5 as a cyber graffito. She also is way to curious about the various shadowkinds. Her various quirks are specifically overlooked by official order because she is very talented at her work. Futaba is her code name in the organization, after "Futaba Sakura" from Persona 5.

ST 7 [-30]
DX 9 [-20]
IQ 15 [100]
HT 10 [0]

Languages: English (free, native), Japanese (Native, [6])
Cultural familiarities: North America, Japan [1].

Advantages:

Magery 2 [25]
Create Digital Homonculus [25]
Photographic Memory [10]
Rank 1: Tactical liaison [5]

Disadvantages:

Social Stigma: minor [-5]
Klutz [-5]
Sense of duty: the squad she oversees [-5]
Sleepgamer [-5]
Xenophile [-10]
Compulsive spending (gamer and otaku) (6 or less): [-10]
Gamer and Otaku [-1]
Plays music on commlink channels [-1]
Wears fun T-shirts [-1]
Cautious [-1]
Trademark (Phantom Thieves of Hearts cyber graffiti) [-1]

Skills:

Computer Use 15 [1]
Computer Programming 15 [4]
Cryptography 15 [4]
Engineer (Electronics) 15 [4]
Electronics Operations 15 [2]
Electronic Repairs 12 [Default]
Hobby Skill (shooters) 9 [1]
Hobby Skill (Board Games, Tabletop Games, CRPGs and turn based strategy games) 15 [1]
Intelligence Analysis 15 [4]
Tactics 13 [1]
Artist (Animation) 13 [1]
Propaganda [1]

Spells:

Haywire (an electronic device starts randomly glitching): 15 [1] (Air Sphere)
Shutdown (electronic devices shut down for 5 minutes, AOE) 15 [1] (Air Sphere)
Magic SMS (Sends a message up to 25 words to a known device (a cellphone that she sees, a cellphone she knows the number of, an e-mail adress she knows, a PC she sees... The message behaves as a normal SMS/email/internal message except that the number/address used to send it doesn't actually exists) 15 [1] (Air Sphere)
Dataread (Reads an electronic device or CD-rom without a computer) 15 [1] (Air Sphere)

(Version 2, only change was reducing her DX from 10 to 9 and improving her ST from 5 to 7.)

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 02-05-2018 at 07:00 AM.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #52
AlexanderHowl

ST 5 is far too low for a 12 year old girl. The average for a 12 year old is ST 9, but you are making her weaker than the average 5 year old (which is ST 6). Maybe it would fit is she had Quadriplegic or another horrific disability, but it otherwise does not make sense.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #53
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
ST 5 is far too low for a 12 year old girl. The average for a 12 year old is ST 9, but you are making her weaker than the average 5 year old (which is ST 6). Maybe it would fit is she had Quadriplegic or another horrific disability, but it otherwise does not make sense.

7 is the "minimum required to pass for able bodied" threshold... If we look at adults anyways, and that would be her adult score, she's not in any remarkable shape (HT 10 and no Fitness advantage. The shadowy organization more or less forces her to stay in decent health and eat balanced meals, but beyond that...) but she's healthy enough.

A 12 years old has 80% of their adult score in ST. Which means that she'd have, if GURPS did fractional attributes, 5.6 ST. I simply rounded down, but maybe a case could be made for rounding up.

Whatever, new version has 1 less DX and 2 more ST. It's not like it matters much since she's sitting tight in HQ while the team risks their butts, though she still is able to provide them with tactical info.

Also, before anyone protests, we're talking about a shadowy organisation that is not related in any way to the Government, beyond their charter (help integrating shadowkind and magic into the modern world) they do whatever they want, including hiring teenagers for non combat roles.

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 02-05-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #54
AlexanderHowl

A 10 year old has 80% of their adult ST while a 15 year old has 100%. Since a 12 year old is around halfway, you split the difference, meaning that 90% is the standard. Of course, if you want to play a character that a 5 year old can bully, that is up to you, but you would need to avoid kindergartens. That level of ST is the equivalent disadvantage of being a quadriplegic, so your GM is obligated to make sure that it comes up multiple times in every session, otherwise you are just getting points for nothing.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #55
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
A 10 year old has 80% of their adult ST while a 15 year old has 100%. Since a 12 year old is around halfway, you split the difference, meaning that 90% is the standard. Of course, if you want to play a character that a 5 year old can bully, that is up to you, but you would need to avoid kindergartens. That level of ST is the equivalent disadvantage of being a quadriplegic, so your GM is obligated to make sure that it comes up multiple times in every session, otherwise you are just getting points for nothing.
I said I was the GM and she's an NPC that provides remote support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
This is an NPC build on the same points as the PCs that serves as their "Tactical liaison", basically the Mission Control NPC I mentioned in the Mission Control thread.
Basically I only made a full sheet in case one of the PC decides to go "She's so cute, can I adopt her?" and for when a Temporary Mobile Command Center (TMCC) (a vehicle with communication equipment, like an Osprey retrofitted as a command center) gets shot down and the crew gets captured, with the PCs tactical liaison being captured (It's useful to know what the liaison can do when this happens, so that at least I know her options in the rescue mission. It's useful to know, for instance, that she could build and operate an ECM if given the right parts so she's not completely helpless despite her lack of combat skills.).

Yes, there I already planned ahead for a mission where the PC have to rescue their Mission Control.

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 02-05-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #56
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
What? where are you getting this? 10 year olds weigh on average about half of what adult men do. That's half the strength and thus 70% of the ST if you consider size to be the only difference between the strength of men and boys. And its not. between 16 and 18 there is very little growth but a lot of athletic maturity that occurs. Professional athletes don't reach viability until at least 18, and the exceptions are just that. Even the 18 year olds with the strength and size of 22 year olds are rare. I've tossed around in wrestling brothers my own size and weight who lived a much more athletic lifestyle than myself. Why? because I was a man and they were a boy, and my muscles are stronger.

So I'd stick 15 year olds at ST 9, and 10 year olds at 6 or less.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #57
Alonsua
Banned

https://www.docdroid.net/hcrDe1n/adam-nl.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/cMspx72/eve-nl.pdf

Attribute Limits
All human Attributes are limited to a maximum of 16, otherwise you can increase the limits by doing species (which means that you will not be human anymore).
Attribute frequency in a given population is based on the following formula:
"distr.norm(AtrVal;10;1;1)" for any single attribute, when combined you multiply every Attribute frequency by the others according to the following scheme:
"STfreq*IQfreq*HTfreq*DXfreq"
AtrVal is the Attribute Value
Talent Specific
IQ works like a "global" talent, and talents/advantages donīt stack skill bonuses, so you pick the highest one.
Learning
Back to School rules, using the following formula to slow the learning rate:
"Hours taken for achieving a specific CPs value"
"(if(redond.mult(aIQ^2;2)/2) > finalCP;finalCP;(redond.mult(aIQ^2;2)/2))*200 + ((finalCP - (redond.mult(aIQ^2;2)/2))*(202 + (finalCP - (redond.mult(aIQ^2;2)/2)))*2 + 200))/2"
aIQ is equal to IQ modified by +5 (Eidetic Memory) or +10 (Photographic Memory)
FinalCP is the ending characterīs character points value

Last edited by Alonsua; 02-05-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #58
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What? where are you getting this? 10 year olds weigh on average about half of what adult men do. That's half the strength and thus 70% of the ST if you consider size to be the only difference between the strength of men and boys. And its not. between 16 and 18 there is very little growth but a lot of athletic maturity that occurs. Professional athletes don't reach viability until at least 18, and the exceptions are just that. Even the 18 year olds with the strength and size of 22 year olds are rare. I've tossed around in wrestling brothers my own size and weight who lived a much more athletic lifestyle than myself. Why? because I was a man and they were a boy, and my muscles are stronger.

So I'd stick 15 year olds at ST 9, and 10 year olds at 6 or less.
Basic (p. 20) gives the suggested ST by age, including advice on intermediate ages. A 5 year old gets 60% adult ST, a 10 year old gets 80% adult ST, and a 15 year old gets 100% adult ST.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #59
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
This is a character for a not-yet-existing zombie apocalypse campaign. For a change, this one is completely mundane.

Jill Shepard
150 points
Hair: brown
Eyes: blue

Jill is a fitness nut who likes parkour. She is also a gun nut and a professional competition shooter. IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, you name it, she's in it. At least she was until dead people started eating living people. She is a little impatient and overconfident, thinking that pretty much any problem can be solved by the proper application of sufficient firepower.

Attributes: [90]
ST: 11 [10]
DX: 14 [80]
IQ: 10 [00]
HT: 10 [0]
Will: 10
Basic Speed: 6
Basic Move: 6
Perception: 10
thr: 1d-1, sw: 1d+1
HP: 11
FP: 10

Advantages: [39]
Appearance (Attractive) [4]
Ambidexterity [5]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Fit, Very [15]

Disadvantages: [-15]
Impulsiveness (CR: 15) [-5]
Overconfidence (CR: 12) [-5]
Pacifism: Reluctant Killer [-5]

Perks: [1]
Shtick (Retains cap, ballistic eyeshields, ear plugs) [1]

Quirks: [-4]
Congenial [-1]
Expression ("Boom, headshot!") [-1]
Likes Guns (Well, duh!) [-1]
Daily Ritual: Run 5k [-1]

Skills: [39]
Acrobatics DX+0 - 14 [4]
Area Knowledge IQ+0 - 10 [1]
Armoury (Small Arms) IQ+0 - 10 [2]
Axe/Mace DX-1 - 13 [1]
Bicycling DX+0 - 14 [1]
Brawling DX+0 - 14 [1]
Computer Operation IQ+0 - 10 [1]
Driving (Automobile) DX-1 - 13 [1]
Driving (Motorcycle) DX-1 - 13 [1]
Fast-Draw (Pistol) DX+2 - 16 [2]
Fast-Talk IQ+0 - 10 [2]
First Aid IQ+0 - 10 [1]
Guns (Pistol) DX+3 - 17 [8]
Guns (Rifle) DX+2 - 16 [2]
Guns (Shotgun) DX+2 - 16 [2]
Knife DX+0 - 14 [1]
Running HT+1 - 11 [4]
Stealth DX-1 - 13 [1]
Survival (Woodlands) Per-1 - 9 [1]
Swimming HT+0 - 10 [1]
Throwing DX-1 - 13 [1]

Gear:
Auto Pistol, Colt M1911 A7 (.45)
Auto Pistol, Springfield Armory XD .45 4" Full Size
Auto Pistol, SIG Sauer P226 (9mm)
Auto Pistol, Springfield Armory XD 9mm 4" Full Size
Ballistic eyeshields
Baseball cap
Ear plugs
Fanny pack / bum bag
Gym bag full of ammo
Revolver, Taurus Raging Bull .444 (.44M)
Revolver, Ruger Redhawk (.357M)
Speedloader, Taurus Raging Bull .444
Stun Gun
As per description she probably doesnīt have things like "Guns (Pistol)" but instead something like an Art or Sport substitute (which defaults at -2).
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #60
AlexanderHowl

I am questioning the realism of a character having HT 10 and Very Fit. In general, the exercises that improve cardiovascular health also improve overall health and endurance, so characters should generally have above average HT if they have Fit or Very Fit (I generally think that a character should not have Fit unless they have HT 11+ or Very Fit unless they have HT 12+). I would suggest looking into exchanging ST 11 and Very Fit for HT 12 and Fit, as it would increase her Basic Speed by +0.5, her FP by +2, her HT-based skills by 2, though she would reduce HP by 1 (meaning that she would effectively gain 25 points from the change and would become a more effective and efficient character).

Tags
character building, character generation, chargen