Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #11
B9anders

Default Re: Limited Limitations?

I think what might up the pricing for 'only one side of split personality' is that most 50/50 accessibilities are predictable. The guy whose powers only work at night can plan for this: Don't go on missions at night!

The guy with the split personality can't plan for these things. In fact, encountering stressful situations (where he might be likely to need his powers) makes it all the more like for him to change personality and lose them!
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
I think what might up the pricing for 'only one side of split personality' is that most 50/50 accessibilities are predictable. The guy whose powers only work at night can plan for this: Don't go on missions at night!

The guy with the split personality can't plan for these things. In fact, encountering stressful situations (where he might be likely to need his powers) makes it all the more like for him to change personality and lose them!
I'd say that's what is going on with the pricing in Basic. In fact, for my own games, I generally assume: That abilities that only work N% of the time, but in an unpredictable way, only cost N% as much (rather than following the guidelines for Accessibilities from Basic and Powers).
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't this an Either/Or Limitation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I had started out thinking that, but realized mid-ramble that it's sort of the opposite situation.
I think a "Neither/Nor" power should be really cheap. :)

Tags
limitations, modifiers, powers