Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Sdrolion

Default Opposing Limitations

Hey, all--

Another question I thought of...is it possible to have two limitations on the same advantage, but have only one apply at any given time?

As an example, say you have a powerful Innate Attack. You want to be able to use it in one of two ways:

1. Quickly, for 5 FP.
2. Free, with Takes Extra Time 2.

Basically, you can fire it fast for an FP cost, or fire it free because you took time to draw the energy from the environment instead of from yourself.

I imagine you can do this with "Alternative Attack/Power" easily enough: you just make two identical advans, one with the FP cost and one with TET 2 and set the lower-cost one as an alternative...maybe? Would that work? And more importantly...is there an easier way to do it?

(My particular situation in game is a little more complex, as the thing I'm seeking to do something like this with is Magery. Limitations are different--I haven't decided on them quite yet--but the general idea is that he's better at spellcasting if he takes his time and is careful, and there's some greater risk or impact if he does it fast for combat. I can't just put a limitation on the Magery levels higher than 0 because that would prevent him from casting certain spells I want for the faster casting. But I'm just looking for the general principle right now.)
Sdrolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
munin

Default Re: Opposing Limitations

RPK has a house rule to cover this. It's reasonably consistent with the few RAW examples of either/or limitations (weakened when inaccessible, p. B110; Weakened Without Preparation, p. B114)
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Sdrolion

Ha! Figures that RPK would have it already set up. I should have checked there first, I go to his page all the time. O_O

Thanks! I'll check with my GM and see if he's all right with me using that. Heck of a lot easier than using my weirdo Alternatives rule.
Sdrolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Bruno

I use this sort of scheme for Bardic magery - the bard has "Song Or Dance" magery or "Song or Musical" magery (or whatever suits the character), which gives the character flexibility while making sure they remain "in genre" for a bard. Of course if someone wants to specialize in Song only (or the like), they totally can.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
RPK has a house rule to cover this. It's reasonably consistent with the few RAW examples of either/or limitations (weakened when inaccessible, p. B110; Weakened Without Preparation, p. B114)
Just for the record, that's not a house rule. It's 100% RAW, as I demonstrate by "showing the math" in the second part of the page. This is why it's in the Resources section and not the House Rules section.

There are other limitations that seem like "either/or" ones that use different values, but that's like anything else in GURPS -- there will always be specific values that don't mesh up with the generic rules. (Mind Tricks, from GURPS Psionic Powers, is a good example.) In such a case, just like always in GURPS, the specific value overrides the generic rule, but doesn't invalidate the generic rule for anything else.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
munin

Whoops. That's the second time you've corrected me on the exact same subject.

Sorry!
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative attack, limitations, powers