Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
bonafidenubbin

Default Can you resist Healing?

If your character doesn't want to be healed, for whatever reason, can you resist Healing? (not the spell - the base Advantage).

I can't seem to find a clear ruling. If it were a Beneficial Affliction, sure; if it were an advantage applied with Affects Others, you have to be willing. But there's nothing explicit on Healing that I can see.

My gut would say yes, just logically - if you can resist most supernatural things, why not Healing? - but I'd love to know if there's a real answer.
bonafidenubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Can you resist Healing?

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a RAW answer.

Myself, I would rule it depend on the source of the ability, but in general, I would say no.

One exception would be if you have metabolic control.

Another one would be if the Healing was Divine in origin, and you had some power investiture or clerical investment.

That said, I don't think it would break anything to make it resistible by choice.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
bonafidenubbin

Your intuitions seem to parallel mine, and I'm cheered to hear there's not some obvious RAW answer I'm overlooking!

I'll admit I was thinking of Healing with a magic-related power mod - coming from an ability where most things can essentially be resisted by willpower, it seemed to make sense to resist Healing.

But another party member has nanite-based 'structural' Healing, and that, I think, could not be resisted by a simple Will roll.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidenubbin View Post
<snip>
But another party member has nanite-based 'structural' Healing, and that, I think, could not be resisted by a simple Will roll.
Unless the target of the healing has some access codes and the equipment to control the same kind of nantes themselves?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
bonafidenubbin

Hmm, yeah, sure. For this PC it isn't technically feasible for [complicated reasons]. But if it were, I'd personally allow it, though I don't know if it would be a Will roll at that point (probably IQ or some sort of hacking skill).
Old 01-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
whswhs

If it's nanite-based, being Sealed will probably protect you . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
bonafidenubbin

Right, yes, there are various reasons it might not work with the nanite guy, that's not important. I'm just wondering if you can roll to resist a bog-standard magic-flavored Healing Advantage when you're not willing.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
RyanW

And if it requires touch/proximity, you can try to avoid being touched/in range.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

I'd go so far as to say that the RAW answer is no.

Not because the RAW says you can't, but because it in no way says that you can.

Resistance isn't a general rule for all effects unless otherwise specified. It's a specific rule for certain effects which is always stated where it applies. It's not stated with Healing, so it doesn't apply.

That said, if a GM wanted healing to be resistible they could obviously make it so. And I wouldn't think that that modification appreciably reduces the value of Healing considering how much of an edge case forcing unwanted healing on someone is...
Old 01-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidenubbin View Post
If your character doesn't want to be healed, for whatever reason, can you resist Healing? (not the spell - the base Advantage).

I can't seem to find a clear ruling. If it were a Beneficial Affliction, sure; if it were an advantage applied with Affects Others, you have to be willing. But there's nothing explicit on Healing that I can see.

My gut would say yes, just logically - if you can resist most supernatural things, why not Healing? - but I'd love to know if there's a real answer.
There is an Anti-Mage class in Dungeon fantasy which is capable of doing so. As far as anyone else, I would rule Holy and Psionic healing could be resisted by Will, (Psionic would be resisted by HT in a more hard Sci-Fi setting). But everything else either nothing, or HT.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote