Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default A Yttarrian Campaign I'm Planning. Please Kiibitz.

I'm going to try to get up a fantasy campaign. It will be set on Yrth in Yttarria in and around where the Great Forest and the Meglos/Caithness border meet.

It will be set in and around a city that has come from another parallel. The city resembles the city of the Hawkmen from Mongo in the Flash Gordon comic. The King bears a strong surface resemblance to Prince Vultan. Although the surface isn't a lie it doesn't resemble the depts. If the surface seems like a jolly Viking chief the interior man is a better match to Odin at his most cunning.

Where the city of the Hawkmen on Mongo was a superscience artifact, this city is Alchemical in nature. The ruler, King Alerion is skilled in alchemy and magic as well as statecraft and warfare.

An attack by a hostile power generated a banestorm like phenomena that threw the city and those in it into the void between worlds and brought it into the influence of Yrth's Banestorm. This brought them to Yrth and caused a resurgence of the Banestorm, The PCs are from an "Earth."

King Alerion was recovering from battle wounds in his city when the Banestorm struck. Most of his best troops were left behind. The city had most of the best scholars, scientists, technicians, and artificers, were also in the city.

The Hawkmen have the alchemical skills to transform humans and near humans (only Elves are near enough) into Hawkfolk. As the city is cut off from its kingdom and powerbase King Alerion is desperately trying to seize resources and/or find Allies. So far he has had bad experiences with Meglos and the Hospitalers, good experiences with the Elves of the Great Forest, and neutral experiences with Caithness and Al-Wazif. This means that King Alerion raids Meglos and seeks trade with the Elves, Caithness, and Al-Wazif.

The Elves get that the Hawkfolk are basically well disposed toward them and want no trouble with their nearest neighbors. Al-Wazif sees the Hawkfolk as trouble for Meglos. They like that, but wonder if the Hawkfolk could be trouble for them too. They favor trade as a means to both learn more about their new neighbors and gain diplomatic leverage. The Caithness civil war complicates any diplomatic issues and trade relations. The Hospitallers see the Hawkmen as evil fallen angels. The Templars see the Hospitalers as fools that turned a possible new ally into a foe. The secular authorities have pulled back because they fear getting caught in squabbles between the orders.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-02-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Hide

Default Re: A Yttarrian Campaign I'm Planning. Please Kiibitz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
(...) The Hawkmen have the alchemical skills to transform humans and near humans (...)
When you mention this, it seems like you are hinting to PCs that they will/should/must turn into Hawkmen at some point.

Is that it? Why would you want to turn into a Hawkman?
Old 01-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
Proteus

Does the campaign start with the PCs as Hawkmen (whether naturally born or alchemically produced)? If they don't start that way, do the players know that's the intent (to avoid a "bait and switch")?

If the Hawkman template is genuinely a choice which can be refused without spoiling the campaign, then does it sum to zero points (maybe because some abilities are limited until improved by experience)? Not all players may grouse at arbitrary point increases for some but not for others (particularly if the increase is attached to traits like Involuntary Duty), but I could see a demand for parity coming up. ("While he’s getting his wings grown, can I develop a deeper relationship with the Goddess of Justice?").
Old 01-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Astromancer

The PCs are humans, elves, or half-elves, from either a parallel Earth or similar world.

They were all lost in the Banestorm resurgence and came to the attention of the hawkfolk. They were captured, examined, and (if they had potential) transformed into Hawkfolk. Those that hadn't the potential to become hawkfolk but had useful skills were brought into the city or a nearby settlement. Those they couldn't use they took to Caithness and handed over to a friendly monastery.

All those caught by the Hawkfolk have their memories of the experience removed by subtle and powerful potions. Those brought into Hawkfolk society have false memories implanted by magic.

This magic rarely fails. So the PCs are rare exceptions.

All PCs start as 350 point characters. The Hawkfolk will transform into Hawkfolk those that have at least HT +2 and IQ+2, there prefer at least +20 in attributes beyond that. Individuals with a wide variety of skills and Advantages are highly favored.

The Hawkfolk template is ST+1, DX+2, HT+1, Winged Flight, Very Fit, Telesscopic Vision 2 ( No Targeting, -60%) and Perception+5.

More later.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-04-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #5
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Does the campaign start with the PCs as Hawkmen (whether naturally born or alchemically produced)? If they don't start that way, do the players know that's the intent (to avoid a "bait and switch")?

If the Hawkman template is genuinely a choice that can be refused without spoiling the campaign, then does it sum to zero points (maybe because some abilities are limited until improved by experience)? Not all players may grouse at arbitrary point increases for some but not for others (particularly if the increase is attached to traits like Involuntary Duty), but I could see a demand for parity coming up. ("While he’s getting his wings grown, can I develop a deeper relationship with the Goddess of Justice?").
The PCs will be discovering they have been transformed without their consent. Players will need to construct both their pre-Hawkfolk life and their implanted memories.

It would be good to create family members or freinds that either weren't accepted to be Hawkfolk or weren't caught. Finding the lost loved ones would be an epic of its own.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #6
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
When you mention this, it seems like you are hinting to PCs that they will/should/must turn into Hawkmen at some point.

Is that it? Why would you want to turn into a Hawkman?
The PCs will start as Hawkfolk and then begin to remember a life they don't think they lived.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
Astromancer

Note: The Hawkfolk use a form of Syntactical Magic based on music.

The Verbs are the Keys, the nouns are tunes. Skilled Mages can play one tune on their instrument while singing another. Improvised or memorized lyrics refine the effects. This allows for highly complicated magics. Small consorts of Mages can play together for more potent effects.

The Hawkfolk also have a system of Runes linked both to their form of Astrology and to their musical lore. These Runes are used for enchantments.

The Hawkfolk are highly proficient Alchemists with highly detailed formularies.

The Hawkfolk also practice Telepathy and ESP, which they call Mindspeech and Othersight. These powers are mystical and are dependent on Manna. King Alerion is a full-court Pulp Mesmerist/Mind Reader.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-03-2021, 04:32 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

I think you're pilling in too many ingredients to the stew. You have an entire city and its culture being banestormed to Yrth. That in itself would make for a medium-sized campaign as the cultures learn about each other.

Then you have PCs who were captured, turned into Hawkmen, and given new sets of memories. Why was this done? It's the kind of thing that annoys people a lot when it comes out, and is liable to turn Yrth societies against the Hawkmen. One city taking on a much larger area is not good strategy.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:17 AM   #9
Stormcrow

The important question is, does the king have the voice of Brian Blessed? "DIVE!"
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
The important question is, does the king have the voice of Brian Blessed? "DIVE!"
King Alerion is Brian Blessed on the outside. Inside he's Lord Vetinari.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-03-2021 at 09:31 AM.