Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #31
Cat

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post

Dice: i cannot get enough of the excellent, 19 mm Ogre dice. I'd definitely go for additional dice for different factions - B&W omega dice for Nightfall, colored dice for Nihon, VG, SoON, etc.
Also add: a conning tower shaped dice tower to roll those big beauties in style!
Old 06-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #32
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Also add: a conning tower shaped dice tower to roll those big beauties in style!
Ooo again. :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #33
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
  • More time to play ogre
  • More opponents to play Ogre with (expand the base!)
GET OUT OF MY HEAD! STOP READING MY MIND!

Seriously, take a vacation to Tokyo and we'll play some Ogre. Help me playtest the Israel scenario I'm working on.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #34
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
GET OUT OF MY HEAD! STOP READING MY MIND!

Seriously, take a vacation to Tokyo and we'll play some Ogre. Help me playtest the Israel scenario I'm working on.
You should hook up with TokyoDan, I'm pretty sure that's more than just a name :-)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #35
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
You should hook up with TokyoDan, I'm pretty sure that's more than just a name :-)
Dont recognize the name but I'll try and shoot a PM his way.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #36
dwalend

Hey moderator - at what point should we peel off to separate threads for specific ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
[unless you're playing Minis or with Lasers, 'cuz it's a little hard to lob light].
Laser sharks.

Quote:
With smart munitions, and sufficiently-advanced computer tech, would really only need 2 depths, maybe 3: On the surface, deep enough to affect surface munitions (Ogre submerged),
That's a really good point. I could see adding a third "blue water" depth - too deep to crawl on the bottom.

Quote:
deep enough to need some sort of detection roll.
Should we avoid that as a thing in The Last War? Sensor nets and drones are thick enough on the land that every unit is detected and identified - at least after the first turn. The same handwavium could apply for KISS. Or we could add some decoy rules - all things are detected, but not IDed. Some are decoys.

--

For a littoral combat starting point Ogre offers:

GEVs, LGEVs, GEV-PCs, and hovertrucks on the surface, with a generous move bonus for water.
Ogres rolling on the bottom.
Marines at M2 above and below the surface.
Marines, HWZ, and MHWZ able to shoot targets below the surface.
Beaches and banks for a variety of ways to get out of the water.

Anything else?

--

One of the great things in Ogre is its compelling opening narrative and background that leads right into the introductory scenario. What are the compelling elements we'd want to use as building blocks for a game?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #37
offsides

So much to ask for, so much to want. But let's try and keep things (mostly) realistic.
  • More Ogrezine. Probably only as an annual thing, but maybe every 6 months if there's enough submissions to create a backlog. I'd love to see it even more frequently, but I just don't see it having the volume and readership to do so.
  • More Minis. I'm not going to specify which because frankly I'd probably buy anything SJG makes :P.
  • Finish the Assault Packs and publish them with cardboard 2d counters. IIRC, they vary between "polish it up" to "nice concepts, but it really needs to be reworked", but they all have some decent ideas.
  • More history/setting/backstory/fiction, especially a) for the Factory States and b) for other theatres of combat. This partially ties into the Assault packs, but I'd like to see even more. Of course, this kind of stuff is perfect for the Ogrezine... :)
  • A campaign system to allow for scenarios to be linked, either directly or just giving 2 players an interesting way to handicap one side or the other based on how they did int he previous scenario. Things like a few more or less units, or extra reinforcements, better intel, etc., that are simple to implement but have meaningful impacts on the game. Hmm, time to make a few notes for myself...
  • More maps, even if they're just paper posters rather than heavy chipboard.
  • Overlay sheets - PDFs you can print of a single terrain type, useful for creating large overlays of any shape and size. Cardboard counters might be interesting in full sheets too, but those would probably need to be pre-punched, which makes setting up a massive overlay on the board that much harder to keep in place. But if you sold 8.5"x11 sheets of solid cardboard that could have paper glued to it and then cut to size, I'd consider that as a decent companion piece to the PDFs (or just link to some place that sells them :)).
  • More solo scenarios for the Ogre Video Game, but that's probably as much on Auroch Digital as SJG...

That's all I can come up with right now.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #38
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
For a littoral combat starting point.....

Anything else?
I've been stealing all my littoral rules from the SuperGalacticDreadnaught blog by Desert Scribe who posts here. I have the MRC model LCAC and the Zvezda model Russian Armoured Boats that he uses; they're beautiful models and fit right in with Ogre minis!
http://supergalacticdreadnought.blog...-for-ogre.html

For new material, I'ld like to see a minor power, say Nordic States, that still relies on a lot of archaic armour would allow for filling in some unit gaps like Light Howitzer and Mobile Light Howitzer, plus Naval units of varying sizes providing coastline support, and a good reason to have scenarios with Mk.I and Mk.II Ogres.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #39
Desert Scribe

Thanks, Cat! Maybe I should polish up what I've written and submit for the next Ogrezine.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #40
HeatDeath

The naval game speculations should probably be their own thread at this point, but some consideration needs to be given to the thermocline - it makes a huge difference for submarine tactics and still will in the Last War.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote