Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Effects of a different CMBR temperature?

Greetings, all!

I'm curious: what would be the implication of a setting having the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation temperature higher than in ours? Currently I'm mostly see differences in calculating blackbody temperatures of everything, and in detection modifiers for objects in space, but what would those changes be, based on a given new value of the temperature?

What other consequences would it have? Would a gradual or sudden change produce results significantly different from it 'always being that way' throughout the aeons?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
Wavefunction

Default Re: Effects of a different CMBR temperature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

I'm curious: what would be the implication of a setting having the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation temperature higher than in ours? Currently I'm mostly see differences in calculating blackbody temperatures of everything, and in detection modifiers for objects in space, but what would those changes be, based on a given new value of the temperature?

What other consequences would it have? Would a gradual or sudden change produce results significantly different from it 'always being that way' throughout the aeons?

Thanks in advance!
If it's a small different then there likely wouldn't be much of a change. The universe has been consistently expanding for billions of years, this expansion leads to the gradual reduction of the CMB temperature. This is because the energy density of radiation is inversely proportional to the scale of the universe raised to the fourth power, thanks to the effects of volume and wavelength - increasing wavelength decreases frequency, whic decreases the energy of radiation.

As I said before, the universe has been expanding for a long time, really very quickly. The current rate of expansion is about 70 kilometers per second per megaparsec, so if you look at a galaxy a million parsecs away it seems to be moving away at 70 kilometers per second, if you look two million parsecs away, it's 140 kilometers per second, etc. So the universe is considerably bigger now than a few billion years ago, and energy density - and thus temperature - goes down very quickly with increasing scale, yet when we look back at the earlier universe - which we can literally do thanks to light travel-times - it looks much the same as the universe nowadays.

In short, a higher CMB temperature wouldn't produce much of an effect, unless you're talking about a rather more extreme increase than I think. In which case, I'd need some time to think it over.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:10 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
If it's a small different then there likely wouldn't be much of a change. The universe has been consistently expanding for billions of years, this expansion leads to the gradual reduction of the CMB temperature. This is because the energy density of radiation is inversely proportional to the scale of the universe raised to the fourth power, thanks to the effects of volume and wavelength - increasing wavelength decreases frequency, whic decreases the energy of radiation.

[ . . . ]

In short, a higher CMB temperature wouldn't produce much of an effect, unless you're talking about a rather more extreme increase than I think. In which case, I'd need some time to think it over.
What do you count as a little, and what is (the beginning of) extreme, and what would be the sensor modifier effects of the former and the latter?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
rknop

Use Wein's Law to figure out where the peak wavelength is. If it's not very close to or within a band where you're detecting things, then it probably won't matter much.

The intensity is going to scale as T^4, which is a lot -- but, even still, it's not very bright right now. Remember that to detect it, we have to use balloon-borne or space-based experiments, and even then there's a lot of other background and such to subtract.

What kinds of things are you trying to detect? With an example, I could probably give a back-of-the-napkin estimate of how much hotter the CMB would need to be for it to make a difference.

Also, it wouldn't change how we calculate blackbodies. The CMB may be our most perfect example of a blackbody, but the constants used (k and h) are measured in other places. I have a vague memory of the ultimate calibration of blackbodies coming from an experiment done at some observatory with molten platinum....
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
What do you count as a little, and what is (the beginning of) extreme, and what would be the sensor modifier effects of the former and the latter?
Generally I'd put it at at least half the effective temperature of the thing you are trying to detect to have any effect at all - at that point it's still radiating only 1/16th as much per unit area (and mostly not even at the same frequencies). A sensor so lousy it can't pick out something 16 times brighter than the background with no frequency discrimination at all is worthless junk.

That's about where it matters for blackbody temperatures too, adding back 1/16th the energy you are radiating away raises your (kelvin) temperature 1.53%
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

So if Malloyd thinks you've got to get up half of a human-crewed spaceships 270 K to make a difference that far beyond the boiling point of hydrogen and I'm not sure even gas giants exist. Icey bodies almost certainly won't.

As to the cosmological implications I think the universe has to be a lot smaller and younger. The initial temp of the background radiation is fixed by the laws of physics. You don't get the "Big Bang" flash until space has cleared out enough for the photons to fly between the electrons and protons without being absorbed. That sets things to happen at a given density so making the universe have more mass wouldn't change it.

So there probably hasn't been enough time for third generation stars to appear and planets to cool and life to evolve.

So unless the universe's physics are radically different I don't think any beings similar to ourselves would ever face such a problem.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Greetings, all!

I'm curious: what would be the implication of a setting having the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation temperature higher than in ours?
Well, the temperature of the CMB is directly related to the expansion of the universe, so you can just look at what the universe looked like when it was younger. If you don't want a younger universe you probably have to change dark energy or something.
Quote:
Currently I'm mostly see differences in calculating blackbody temperatures of everything, and in detection modifiers for objects in space, but what would those changes be, based on a given new value of the temperature?
Unless you're scanning at microwave wavelengths, changes in the CMB will not directly affect detection at all. However, differences in the expansion of the universe probably mean there's also changes in the backgrounds of galaxies, which will have some effect.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
Phantasm

Seems like there would be some changes on the cosmic scale of things with galaxy clusters being closer to each other, but...

Very few changes in the mundane minutia that most games would happen in. At most, you'd see faster intergalactic travel, but since most of that happens at the speed of plot anyway....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Generally I'd put it at at least half the effective temperature of the thing you are trying to detect to have any effect at all - at that point it's still radiating only 1/16th as much per unit area (and mostly not even at the same frequencies). A sensor so lousy it can't pick out something 16 times brighter than the background with no frequency discrimination at all is worthless junk.

That's about where it matters for blackbody temperatures too, adding back 1/16th the energy you are radiating away raises your (kelvin) temperature 1.53%
IOW, even if you raise it to 30K or even 100K, this will have zero noticeable effect on planetary climates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Unless you're scanning at microwave wavelengths, changes in the CMB will not directly affect detection at all. However, differences in the expansion of the universe probably mean there's also changes in the backgrounds of galaxies, which will have some effect.
Will it have any effect on the 'space is very cold' factor of detection under any circumstances (such as ways of radiating away waste energy in an adjusted spectrum, perhaps with some ultra-tech advancements)? Or none either?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
So there probably hasn't been enough time for third generation stars to appear and planets to cool and life to evolve.
Doing the most simplistic calculation - age of universe/(ln(270/2)/ln(2.7)) - you'd expect that temperature about 470 million years after the beginning. That is slightly after stars have started to form, but not by very much. Which makes sense, stars presumably won't form until it's cooler than their surface temperatures, and on an exponential curve stars are not actually a lot hotter than 270K.

Tags
cmbr, space, spaceships, worldbuilding