Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
KingStrongbeard

Default Song Afflictions

I have been struggling with building a particular power, and thus turn to the forums to help me hammer it out.

What I want the power to do is this. I want my character to play his instrument, and afflict the listeners with the chosen status effect, (for the sake of the example we'll say it's Incapacitation:Ecstasy, but I imagine taking a few different versions) and for the targets to remain under the effect until he stops playing (if they fail to resist, of course) but to recover quickly when he stops.

I started with an Affliction, adding Malediction, Hearing Based, emanation, sufficient extra area of effect, and gadget limitations for the instrument. But this results in him effectively playing for one second, then incapacitating the targets for minutes equal to margin of failure, which clearly isn't what I would like.

So, my question is, how do I change it to work how I want? Is there a better starting point than Affliction? If not what is that kind of modification worth? Is there a canonical way to do this? If so where can I find it?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
KingStrongbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Gnome

Default Re: Song Afflictions

There are excellent examples of this in Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-ups on pages 20-21. They define modifiers packages for "beneficial songs" and "baneful songs" with things like Area Effect, Emanation, Malediction etc. Instead of any gadget limitations they use the standard -30% Bard-Song power modifier from DF.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
KingStrongbeard

Ah, yes, I see now, thank you Gnome, I hadn't looked in the later Dungeon Fantasy books, as I really never use that series, but this is exactly what I needed. Thank you.
KingStrongbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Walrus

You can add Reduced Duration 1/60 -35% for seconds instead of minutes. And while the character plays he actually activates that affliction every second, so he can maintain the desired effect.

Tags
affliction, music, powers, song