Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
AcetheSuperVillain

Default Re: GURPS Fairy Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
For those of us who are not fans what does requip do?
In Naruto they have the ability to summon things from scrolls they place thigns in. This is a gadget based Cosmic payload. Cosmic for the extra dieminesional space to store the stuff so the weight is jsut that of the scroll.
That sounds similar to Requip. Fairy Tail rarely gets as technical about its combat mechanics as other Shonen series, so I can't give you a perfect answer.

Basically, a Requiper obtains magical weapons and armor as a warrior normally would, then stores them in a magical pocket. Stronger wizards have larger pockets. The Requiper can then draw items from the pocket. For weapons, this is usually portrayed by reaching into a magic circle and pulling the desired item out. The character Erza can also switch her armor or clothing via magical girl sequences or quick flashes. This may be a separate technique, specific to her own unique style of combat, "The Knight", although the first explanation of Requip claims that low-level wizards may use it to simply change their clothes. Fairy Tail usually makes a big deal about magic draining the energy of the wizard using it (Costs Fatigue), but Erza's combat transformations don't seem to effect or be effected by her fatigue level. This suggests to me that any magic invested in Requip is performed ahead of time, and a negligible amount of magic is being used to Ready weapons or armor in combat.

It's tricky because the Requippers use a lot of other techniques and magic which is not plain Requipping. For example, Biska fights with Gun Magic, which would probably be Imbuements, and does Requip to switch from rifle to hand guns or shot gun. Erza's "The Knight" switches between armor with magical properties, such as Flame Empress armor, which negates flame attacks, or Black Wing armor which gives her flight.
AcetheSuperVillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Deusludorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Celestial magic is allies. its the easiest one to do! (for the player).
The ability to use Celestial magic requires the ability of "Planar Summons", because Celestial Spirits dwell in their own separate plane. This mage would not need to know the spell, moreover it would be an enchantment on the keys themselves that drew from the mana of the mage to use its effects. Furthermore the mage wouldn't need magery, just the ability to use mana, so the ability mana enhancer would suffice.
Deusludorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Deusludorum

What all the dragonslayers figure out is that if they cancel their magic they can consume a god's element. With the matter of the ability to user other elements, I can only assume the three of them (Natsu, Gajeel, and Rogue) are only able to use other elements because it was dragonslayer magic to begin with, otherwise why can't Natsu use fire of the Dragon God anymore.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusludorum View Post
The ability to use Celestial magic requires the ability of "Planar Summons", because Celestial Spirits dwell in their own separate plane. This mage would not need to know the spell, moreover it would be an enchantment on the keys themselves that drew from the mana of the mage to use its effects. Furthermore the mage wouldn't need magery, just the ability to use mana, so the ability mana enhancer would suffice.
Actually you don't All you need to do is added "Summable" enhancement onto the ally advantage.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Deusludorum

On the matter of requip, Erza is an exception because she is able to use both armor and weaponry. In the movie you see Erza buy a dress, and then summon a sort of magical control panel, that she uses to send the dress to a pocket dimension. Though i see where you guys are going I think the best idea is to just create an advantage as it states you can do in the rules.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Deusludorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Actually you don't All you need to do is added "Summable" enhancement onto the ally advantage.
I'm new to gurps but I think the Plannar Summons would allow you to create the plane that the celestial spirits come from (location explanation). Create the keys with this enchantment (aligned with the actual series explanation). Specific keys for specific summons [aquarius, cancer, canis(puun!), etc.]. The key would draw mana from the user to summon and maintain the summon (series reference). Besides the point of a celestial mages are only using their mana not their own "magic" to summon these so an advantage like that i can't see staying true to the series. But explain the summable enhancement to me because i don't see it in my books.

Last edited by Deusludorum; 09-17-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Hit a realization about you statement
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusludorum View Post
What all the dragonslayers figure out is that if they cancel their magic they can consume a god's element. With the matter of the ability to user other elements, I can only assume the three of them (Natsu, Gajeel, and Rogue) are only able to use other elements because it was dragonslayer magic to begin with, otherwise why can't Natsu use fire of the Dragon God anymore.
My reasoning for this is that when natsu consumes fire, it fills up his magic reserve. If the fire has any special properties then he will be able to use that in conjunctions with his own until he runs dry of the energy he got from eating the fire. If what he consumed was something from another dragonslayer then he would be able to produce the same effect without having to consume it. This is because all dragonslayer magic are fundamentally the same, consume element and use said element.

So the reason he can not use godslayer fire anymore is because he already used up his reserve for that effect. If it had been a true form of dragon magic then he would be able to copy it, like how he can still use lighting with fire.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Yako

Actually, while the in universe explanation for Requip is rather close to snatcher, I think it works much better as Shapeshifting.
Transformation time with sequences, no hasty putting on armor, loads of abilities which are really distinctive...
Also, the pricebreak for extra alternate forms is rather handy for this too...
Morph with special limitation for acquiring new forms (obtaining suitable armor) would work too.

Dragonslayer Magic should have DR with absorption to power up abilities and restore the user at the core (and likely some form of regeneration for Wendy) and a good couple of innate attacks and similar, I think all their attacks are a bit too flashy for unarmed imbuements...
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Psychotime

Why bother with imbuements when you could just make a single Burning Attack with Costs Fatigue and Follow-Up (+0%)? Maybe add Explosive and fudge a "Doesn't Harm User" (+5%) if the GM allows it?

Boom, you've got most of Natsu's physical attacks right there. In combat, just apply the follow-up onto one of his kicks and you've got Dragon's Claw. The same goes for his punches and headbutts. When his fist/foot/head lands, the burning explosion goes off. You just have to expend the FP/Energy Reserve for it to work. Up to the GM as to WHEN you spend it...

Then his other powers are different innate attacks. You'll pay full price for the highest costing one at the end, then just make the rest alternate abilities.

Dragon's Roar is a Burning Attack with Cone that uses the Innate Attack (Breath) skill. Probably Blockable.

Brilliant Flame is just another explosive burning attack and (depending on which version of the show you're following) is a normal ranged attack (early anime) or an emanation (manga and later in anime) Probably costs more FP than normal and takes extra time to charge it or whatever. Requires both hands free (-20%).

Imbuements would be too weak in some situations (especially for a high powered Battle Shonen world like Fairy Tail), and I personally just don't like the system itself.

But that's just me. I have alot more fun thinking up stuff with the tools in Powers.

Last edited by Psychotime; 09-20-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
zoncxs

I think imbuements fit dragonslayer magic spot on for combat. Don't forget that the users are strong all on their own too, able to do some serious harm without using any real magic.

I reflect this with ST (magic) or just striking ST(magic).

If I would run a game for fairy tail I would give people ER.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animé, dragon slayer, fairy tail, powers, requip