Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
JMD

Default GURPS Calculator - Mobile Web Application

THE GURPS CALCULATOR

http://www.gurpscalculator.com/

It is my pleasure to announce that after many months of restructuring that the GURPS Calculator is back and better than ever! The Calculator now takes on the new form of a mobile web app that runs straight form your browser, meaning that you can type everything using the ease of a full keyboard on your desktop PC and then access that data from any mobile device!

The GURPS Calculator is still in beta, and as such there is bound to be bugs and issues. We have provided users with an easy interface to submit bugs and feature ideas in the app itself. Please use it!

Thank you all for your support these last 4 years.

Last edited by JMD; 06-15-2015 at 07:38 PM.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: New Gurps Utility for Droid

What do you need to run it?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
JMD

This app runs on any device with a web browser.

--Old Text Below--

An Android Phone. I'm releasing it as an apk file which when you transfer it to your droid runs just like an executable file would on your desktop. You simply transfer it over and click on it and it will open.

If the flavor of droid you are running doesn't have a file manager built in you may need to download one on the app market to be able to see non-system related files that you transferred using your usb cable. I myself use ES File Explorer, but I also heard Astro File Manager is quite good.

Last edited by JMD; 02-06-2015 at 08:09 PM. Reason: App is web based now, not android
Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
JMD

You can also navigate to the site listed above directly on your phone and download the file, and from there simply open it.

That would be quickest and easiest. For simplicity, here is the direct download url.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3z...wYWJj&hl=en_US
Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
An Android Phone. I'm releasing it as an apk file which when you transfer it to your droid runs just like an executable file would on your desktop. You simply transfer it over and click on it and it will open.

If the flavor of droid you are running doesn't have a file manager built in you may need to download one on the app market to be able to see non-system related files that you transferred using your usb cable. I myself use ES File Explorer, but I also heard Astro File Manager is quite good.
I had downloaded it directly to my phone, but didn't see it since it didn't install, using a file manager like you said allowed me to see the file in my download folder and install it. Thanks.

Seems pretty straightforward, is there a toggle to increase HP/FP, or do you need to input new numbers as it changes?
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I had downloaded it directly to my phone, but didn't see it since it didn't install, using a file manager like you said allowed me to see the file in my download folder and install it. Thanks.

Seems pretty straightforward, is there a toggle to increase HP/FP, or do you need to input new numbers as it changes?
I had considered toggles but didn't need it for myself. Now that this will no longer be a personal program I should probably add it! Easy HP and FP tracking sure be a core component. I'll add it to the next release.

Last edited by JMD; 06-12-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Neat!

May I suggest one thing? for the HP/FP tracker, separate current HP and FP from base FP/HP. That way, you can list things like "over 1/3 HP", "under -HP" bellow. Current FP/HP would be controlled by either direct input, or +/- buttons.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Neat!

May I suggest one thing? for the HP/FP tracker, separate current HP and FP from base FP/HP. That way, you can list things like "over 1/3 HP", "under -HP" bellow. Current FP/HP would be controlled by either direct input, or +/- buttons.

That is an excellent idea! Auto-calculation of your HP for purposes of displaying the current notable fraction of base to current should absolutly be in there.

For example, if you have a base of 10 and you are at 2 then it will display "Less than 1/3, half move and dodge."

This rule is in GURPS Combat Lite so I believe it is allowed into non-profit utilities. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it's not allowed I will simply display "Less than 1/3."
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
JMD

I put some serious time into this today and came up with a good way to handle two suggestions, both the HP/FP toggle buttons and the keeping track of base/current for HP/FP as well as notifying you when you hit a special fraction.

Here is a screenshot. It is not released yet, but I just want you to know that I am dedicated to releasing a quality product with good turnover time to my favorite internet community.

I am looking into adding injury tracking as well as a way to autocalc thrown distance damage. I am also researching adding a jump distance calculator and an explosions algorithm (As well as the reverse algorithm for that. Anyone else think it's weird that if you want to blow something up you need to say how much damage you are doing and then it tells you how much explosive you need? My calculator will be able to work that way, but also will be able to hopefully work from the amount of explosives you want to use and give you the damage.)

Thank you so much for testing this out! The suggestions so far have been great and I am enthusiastic to contribute something worthwhile to the GURPS community.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it's not allowed I will simply display "Less than 1/3."
Have you read the sjg page on publishing game aids?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps utility, mobile, programming, web