Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Scenarios PDF Posted

And here's the Scenarios book PDF: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/kickstar..._scenarios.pdf

Daniel will be visiting Austin next week, so the deadline for comments on the Scenarios book is noon Texas time on Monday the 29th. Please comment in this thread.

You've gotten us several good comments on the rules material already (and some corrections have already been made). Let's say the deadline for comments on the rulebook and reference sheet is 11:59pm Texas time on Thursday the 25th.

Thank you!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Scenarios PDF Posted

On Page 2, the setup of "Super CP": The Ogres are listed as Mk. III and Mk. V.
On Page 5, the setup of "Recon in Force" Ogre scenario: The Ogre is listed as Mk. III

As mentioned in the Rules thread, there should be consistency in nomenclature (ie, most references to Ogres are "Mark <something>", not Mk. <something>).
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
HeatDeath

Funny little thing I noticed:

On the picture of the infantryman on page 3, the power armor is blue, implying (if we take the game pieces as our primary reference, which I suspect any new players not already deeply immersed in the Ogre universe will) that he's a PanEuro soldier. But the caption casts the picture as a Combine propaganda poster, and strongly implies that the soldier is Combine. Which is a little confusing.

Of course you could interpret the poster as meaning "Sign up to defend us from this guy", but the picture (based on one of the Kickstarter donors?) seems a little too complimentary for that.

I don't see a faction logo anywhere on him, so it should be easy enough to change the caption so as not to implicitly contradict the playing pieces' color scheme.

Also, on page 8, I see the choice was made to retain the reference to "the irreplaceable Baywatch archives". :)

Last edited by HeatDeath; 10-23-2012 at 05:03 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

In Breakthrough and Raid:

Having the "Special Rules" may be redundant, since all 13.0x rules are described in the Setup and Map Modifications.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Victory Conditions in general...

The descriptions of the victory conditions and units are inconsistent from scenario to scenario. For example:

Raid describes Paneuro and Combine in the setup as blue counters and red counters, and the victory conditions reflect this, while Breakthrough generically describes only attacker and defender. Recon in Force is just "red" and "blue", and The Train is a mix.

The scenarios should probably have the attacker and defender descriptions and victory conditions made more uniform
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

In Raid:

In the Ogre scenario, it states "The defender rolls twice per turn for reinforcements." for both the primary and the alternate defending force. Is there a better way to state this without repeating the sentence? Additionally, the second one has "twice" in italics, but the first one does not. I think it is a good thing that it is emphasized; so if both sentences stay, both should be in italics. If rewritten with only one sentence, maintain the italics.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Toltrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Funny little thing I noticed:

On the picture of the infantryman on page 3, the power armor is blue, implying (if we take the game pieces as our primary reference, which I suspect any new players not already deeply immersed in the Ogre universe will) that he's a PanEuro soldier. But the caption casts the picture as a Combine propaganda poster, and strongly implies that the soldier is Combine. Which is a little confusing.

Of course you could interpret the poster as meaning "Sign up to defend us from this guy", but the picture (based on one of the Kickstarter donors?) seems a little too complimentary for that.

I don't see a faction logo anywhere on him, so it should be easy enough to change the caption so as not to implicitly contradict the playing pieces' color scheme.

Also, on page 8, I see the choice was made to retain the reference to "the irreplaceable Baywatch archives". :)
Both sides during the war would sometimes, out of necessity, would scavenge intact suits to field.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin View Post
Both sides during the war would sometimes, out of necessity, would scavenge intact suits to field.
Be that as it may, a scavenged battlesuit would not, I think, be featured in a propaganda poster. At least not without drawing special attention to how we, the good guys, captured it (i.e. a visibly defaced and scratched out enemy logo, with our logo stencilled proudly in beside it.).
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
erie_gp_man

a bit late I know, never caught this until I was setting up the 6e game, Recon in Force scenario: second paragraph under set up describes the defending players forces and placement. "Infantry may be placed in any town hex..."

I'm assuming that means these Infantry can be set up in any town of map S1, not any town on either map. I'm led to believe this because all other units described in that paragraph are on S1 only, the previous paragraph described the defender's forces on the G1 map.

But the way it's written a player could infer that these Infantry could be placed in any town on either map (probably a losing set-up anyways).

What's your take?
erie_gp_man is offline   Reply With Quote