Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #21
Agemegos

Default Re: Stellar Mapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
The chart itself was done in OpenOffice Calc, and isn't complete; I'm half-thinking of making a searchable function which would let you pick two stars and have it spit out a distance between them.
The function is probably more practical if you have a significant number of stars. I have a 646-row by 125-column distance table for selected inhabited worlds in my setting, and it's unusable except for MAX and MIN functions and table lookups.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #22
acrosome

OK, I'm going through the RECONS list of the 100 nearest stellar systems and is it just me or is Wolf 359 not in the Hipparcos dataset? Googling around, it doesn't seem to have a Hipparcos number. And when I search for various identifiers that I do have (Wolf 359, CN Leonis, GJ 406, distance in parsec) in the XHIP dataset I get nothing. That would kind of undermine my trust.

Annoying, considering that it's the third closest system to ours, and thus often looms large in fiction. Heck, even Star Trek's Federation had The Battle of Wolf 359 versus the Borg.

EDIT-- Hmmm, GJ 65 (BL and UV Ceti) and GL 905 are also missing. I suspect that I'm going to find several missing near stars.

Which measurements should I consider more accurate? XHIP or RECONS? Both date from 2012, but I think XHIP was just a re-hashing of older data, whereas RECONS claims newer, more accurate data.

Last edited by acrosome; 08-23-2018 at 11:09 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #23
Keysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
OK, I'm going through the RECONS list of the 100 nearest stellar systems and is it just me or is Wolf 359 not in the Hipparcos dataset? Googling around, it doesn't seem to have a Hipparcos number. And when I search for various identifiers that I do have (Wolf 359, CN Leonis, GJ 406, distance in parsec) in the XHIP dataset I get nothing. That would kind of undermine my trust.

Annoying, considering that it's the third closest system to ours, and thus often looms large in fiction. Heck, even Star Trek's Federation had The Battle of Wolf 359 versus the Borg.

EDIT-- Hmmm, GJ 65 (BL and UV Ceti) and GL 905 are also missing. I suspect that I'm going to find several missing near stars.

Which measurements should I consider more accurate? XHIP or RECONS? Both date from 2012, but I think XHIP was just a re-hashing of older data, whereas RECONS claims newer, more accurate data.
The Hipparcos catalog by design only has stars brighter than the Hipparcos satellite limit, which was a V-band magnitude of 12.4. So stars like Wolf 359 (V = 13.5) are simply too faint to make the cutoff. [I'm assuming you know how magnitudes work, but in case not: larger numbers = fainter.]

RECONS is, as I understand it, an ongoing project making new (ground-based) observations; the most recent publications are from this year. So you're probably better off using that, since it will be more complete for the really faint stars.
Keysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysh View Post
The Hipparcos catalog by design only has stars brighter than the Hipparcos satellite limit, which was a V-band magnitude of 12.4. So stars like Wolf 359 (V = 13.5) are simply too faint to make the cutoff. [I'm assuming you know how magnitudes work, but in case not: larger numbers = fainter.]

RECONS is, as I understand it, an ongoing project making new (ground-based) observations; the most recent publications are from this year. So you're probably better off using that, since it will be more complete for the really faint stars.
Well, I can't find any sort of dataset from RECONS, other than their nearest 100 star list and the CTIOPI list of dwarfs. Is there one? I was going through and manually adding those two lists to Hipparcos.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #25
Keysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Well, I can't find any sort of dataset from RECONS, other than their nearest 100 star list and the CTIOPI list of dwarfs. Is there one? I was going through and manually adding those two lists to Hipparcos.
It looks to me like the best you could do would be to add things from the 100-star list, and then any additional stars in their recent (2018) paper (Henry et al.) which aren't already in the 100-star list. Table 1 of that paper lists the parallaxes, and Table 3 has things like spectral types for most of them.

If you wanted to be really thorough, you could look at the references in Henry et al.'s Table 4, track down those papers, and add the systems listed therein. There's a total of 79 - 13 = 66 systems (not counting brown dwarfs) discovered since the 1995 Yale Parallax Catalog which are not in the Hipparcos catalog -- if you tracked those down and added them to the Hipparcos catalog, you'd be pretty darn close to complete.

I can't see any publicly available master database from the RECONS folks, though I imagine they have one. (From skimming the 2018 paper, I get the impression they're waiting for the second Data Release from the Gaia satellite before they publish a proper complete catalog of stars within 10 pc.)
Keysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #26
Agemegos

There's a table here of stars with parallaxes that were published in papers by members of RECONS to 12 May 2016. It includes spectral classes where known.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #27
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
There's a table here of stars with parallaxes that were published in papers by members of RECONS to 12 May 2016. It includes spectral classes where known.
you can also go to http://www.projectrho.com/ and find some interesting stuff regarding 3D space.

Also, if you're interested in that kind of stuff, there is also the software Astrosynthesis located at...

http://www.nbos.com/products/astrosynthesis

The nice thing about Astrosynthesis is that it will also show system maps. If you know when a planet will reach its closest approach to the star or its furthest approach to the star, you can modify the database to include that within your files and generate a spiffy system map showing planetary locations at a given date.

Heck, I used it to create a system map of the Earth for use with the year 2100 AD for Transhuman Space.

<Shrug>
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #28
Agemegos

Acrosome said in the original post that he is using Astrosynthesis. The question is one of up-to-date data to use in an Astrosynthesis input file.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #29
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Acrosome said in the original post that he is using Astrosynthesis. The question is one of up-to-date data to use in an Astrosynthesis input file.
Ah. Since I can't see his posts, that explains the needless post on my part. <shrug>
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #30
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysh View Post
It looks to me like the best you could do would be to add things from the 100-star list, and then any additional stars in their recent (2018) paper (Henry et al.) which aren't already in the 100-star list.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the CTIOPI list, so I can get it in spreadsheet form. Deconflicting that with Hipparcos will take a while...

Last edited by acrosome; 08-24-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Tags
sci-fi, star catalog