Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
Fred Brackin

Default Anybody have any experience with Fantasy Grounds?

My DM has become infatuated with Fantasy Grounds but I can't even get the free demo installed.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #2
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Anybody have any experience with Fantasy Grounds?

Classic or Unity, and which operating system?
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:34 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Classic or Unity, and which operating system?
Probably classic and definitely a Windows 10.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Installing the demo for classic (if you can find where to download it, it's not being pushed anymore) should just be a normal install like any windows program. Then the GM should give you an alias to log into his game. As a player beyond that you shouldn't need to do anything else.

If Unity you'd need a forum account as a login.

After installing, either version (and entering login for unity) you'd run the updater, and then use the alias the GM gives you for classic or find them on the cloud game list if unity (assuming they're currently up and running in either case as the GM's computer is the server).
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 05-08-2021 at 07:58 PM.
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
dbm

We’ve been using Fantasy Grounds for the last year under lockdown. You can get the install files either via Steam or from Fantasy Grounds’ own website.

You definitely need to make sure you are on the same Edition as your GM (Classic or Unity - we use Unity as two of our members are on Macs). I’m one of the Mac users so couldn’t advise on Windows install but people with very low tech-savvy in my group have gotten it installed ok.

Once it is installed, using the Update will get you to the latest build and versions of rules modules. Updates come pretty thick and fast in my experience - Unity is only about three months out of public Beta, though as I say we have been using it for more than a year.

Last edited by dbm; 05-09-2021 at 08:47 AM.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Well, thanks to everyone who tried to help but answers of "after installing....." are skipping past my point of difficulty. I have never gotten a full installation.

I may be working with Unity as it absolutely insists on a forum registry. It will not accept any password I can imagine having used.

I, of course tried the "forget password" link. It asks for two things: A valid e-mail address and the answer to the "random" question "There is a blue goblin, 3 green goblins and 2 red goblins. Which goblin has the most?" Despite claims of randomness it's always this question.

"Most What?" is rejected as a valid answer.

Ignoring the question is also not valid.

"Green" is not accepted either.

Upon repetition _either_ the e-mail address _or_ "green" will be rejected as not valid.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Have you ever created an account on that forum? It sounds as though it might not know your email address at all. If it's not registered in the first place, that would explain why (a) you can't log in; and (b) can't recover your password given your email address (even with the right answer to the question).
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 AM   #8
hal

Hi Fred,
Sorry I didn't see this until just now...

When you download a demo version of the software, if you don't have a password, don't try to enter it. It will recognize right off the bat that you're not a registered user and by default, will leave you in Demo mode.

Where you may have problems joining a game, is that the GM has to have an ultimate license or he can't host you in his game.

In addition, it can come to pass where the host's own anti-virus firewall will sabotage his ability to host games unless he does the following:

He will need to get a hold of your IP address (ie you have to do a whatismyip test on your computer) and enter it as a trusted IP address in his firewall.

If you want? Create a Forum ID at Fantasy grounds, and go to HOUSE OF HEALING - UNITY (if using Unity software) or HOUSE OF HEALING - Classic.
They can help you get operational. They helped me to figure out why my Original set up for Classic - which had been working, suddenly went out of whack when McAfee upgrade/changed their anti-virus protection.

I think I have your email address somewhere, so I'll send you my cell phone number and we can text via cell phone or even talk it through if you're in the Continental US of A.

Catch you later.

Hal
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

As an update, I went to the "forgotten password?" link so I could get that forum i.d. I needed to run the demo. No joy there though there was still the "goblin riddle" whose very existence puzzles me.

The step after that was to contact an administrator. He came back that they could not find an e-mail that went with my log-in name. <shrug>

I suppose the next step is to try and get a clean attempt at a forum i.d. making sure I don't mispell my e-mail address (or let my helpful computer autofill that line with a previous mispelling).

However, I have suddenly had Real World Stuff come up and further attempts at this Gaming Stuff must be delayed. I had at least a week or two before it was needed anyway.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
hal

Hi Fred,
I suspect that what happened was that you tried to install the software with a bad username and password. I had also suspected the possibility that you may have entered in data in the license key field, that absent you purchasing a license key - would not work. Just trying to toubleshoot all of the possible problems issues.

What needs to be done is for you to go to the FANTASY GROUNDS Forums (click on the link I embedded in FANTASY GROUNDS Forums).

From there, create a new account. You will have to create the new user account with a valid name that isn't taken already, and create a password for your new account. Once that happens, you need to wait until your account has been activated/verified.

Once that is done?

This is what was said in the house of healing (Unity) forums:

If something is in the license key field which is invalid then it'll tell you that it's invalid. If you delete the entry in the license key filed and have a username and password then update FG will update to the demo version (even if previously there was a valid license key).

A demo user still needs a forum account and must enter that username and password into the correct fields. If that doesn't work they might try changing their forum passord and try again. Failing that contact support.

I'm betting that once you create a new user account and get it verified etc. you will now be able to enter a user name (the one you created) and password (the one you just created) and it will then finish the install and update as a demo version.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote