Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
A Ladder

Default Re: [Sorcery] Post Your Spells Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Remember, each spell costs 1 FP, so littering the field will be expensive.

We need a Powerstone spell.
Charge Powerstone:
Healing (FP Only +0%; Powerstones Only -30%; Magical -10%) [18].

A Powerstone would be Energy Reserve in an Amulet or you could just use the chart in DF/Magic for Powerstone prices.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #12
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Remember, each spell costs 1 FP, so littering the field will be expensive.

We need a Powerstone spell.
Alternate rituals lets you cast spells at no cost as long as you can chant and gesture.

*does spiderman wrist gesture* "Jellybean! Jellybean! Jellybean! Jellybean! Jellybean!"
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #13
PK

Right . . . frankly, I'm not certain whether I should even bring Powerstone into sorcery, because Powerstone exists to supplement the incredibly high energy cost of standard magic spells, which isn't an issue with sorcery. Really, I figure any groups that wants sorcerers to have access to lots of spells will use Alternative Rituals, which means you can cast sorcery spells for free all day unless you're restricted or sneaking.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #14
zoncxs

Here is one for someone else.

Calm Nature's Fury

Keywords: Area (Fixed)
Full Cost: 67 points for level 1 + 57 per additional level
Casting Roll: IQ.
Range: none.
Duration: Indefinite.

Allows you to calm the weather within a 0.1 mile radius, reducing penalties by -1 per level of this power. It can not give a bonus, only a reduction.

Statistics: Control Weather 1 (Common; Natural Phenomenon, +100%; Only to reduce potency, -80%; Sorcery, ‑15%; Persistent, +40%) [29] + Control Weather 2 (Common; Natural Phenomenon, +100%; Only to reduce potency, -80%; Sorcery, ‑15%; Persistent, +40%;Does not increase area, -50%) [19] each additional level is Control Weather 3 (Common; Natural Phenomenon, +100%; Only to reduce potency, -80%; Sorcery, ‑15%; Persistent, +40%;Does not increase area, -50%) [57]
Old 09-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post

Statistics: Fatigue Attack (No Blunt Trauma, -20%; No Knock back, -10%; Increased Range 1/2D, ×2, +5%; jet, +0%; Freezing, +20%; Side Effect, Paralysis, +200%; Sorcery, -15%) [28/level]
Note: Fatigue Attack doesnt inflict Blunt Trauma OR Knockback (see Basic p. 378 and 379), so you cant use No Blunt Trauma or No Knockback here.

Quote:

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Only on weapons, ‑20%; Advantage, Annihilating Weapon, +260%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10¥, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, ‑15%) [36].
It would be useful to also spell out the Annihilating Weapon advantage being granted here. Really, with any of the buffs, just about the least interesting part is the Affliction. The meat is the advantage(s) being granted.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #16
chandley

Quote:
Allows you to calm the weather within a 0.1 mile radius, reducing penalties by -1 per level of this power. It can not give a bonus, only a reduction.

Statistics: Control Weather 1 (Common; Natural Phenomenon, +100%; Only to reduce potency, -80%; Sorcery, ‑15%; Persistent, +40%) [29] + Control Weather 2 (Common; Natural Phenomenon, +100%; Only to reduce potency, -80%; Sorcery, ‑15%; Persistent, +40%;Does not increase area, -50%) [19] each additional level is Control Weather 3 (Common; Natural Phenomenon, +100%; Only to reduce potency, -80%; Sorcery, ‑15%; Persistent, +40%;Does not increase area, -50%) [57]
-80% for "Reduce Potency" is generous, given "Cosmetic Only" is also -80% and the former is actually useful. I'd suggest -50%, borrowed from Temperature Control ("Cold Only -50% or Heat Only -50%")
Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #17
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Note: Fatigue Attack doesnt inflict Blunt Trauma OR Knockback (see Basic p. 378 and 379), so you cant use No Blunt Trauma or No Knockback here.

It would be useful to also spell out the Annihilating Weapon advantage being granted here. Really, with any of the buffs, just about the least interesting part is the Affliction. The meat is the advantage(s) being granted.

can't believe I missed that, an early version of Arctic stream was crushing. fixing it now.

Annihilating weapon is the imbuement skill cast as a weapon buff, its like Penetrating weapon on p. 16 of Sorcery pdf.

Quote:
-80% for "Reduce Potency" is generous, given "Cosmetic Only" is also -80% and the former is actually useful. I'd suggest -50%, borrowed from Temperature Control ("Cold Only -50% or Heat Only -50%")
Reduce Potency was striped from the Slow Fire in Pyramid 63.

remember that the spell can not give a bonus, it can only offset penalties given by the weather.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
chandley

Quote:
Reduce Potency was striped from the Slow Fire in Pyramid 63.

remember that the spell can not give a bonus, it can only offset penalties given by the weather.
Indeed, but Control puts Cosmetic (which can neither reduce nor increase the bonus) at -80% by RAW. Being able to reduce the bonus is thus going to be more than that. I dont have that Pyramid, but if Slow Fire is being used to simply prevent the _spread_ of the fire, without reducing its damage, that could qualify for -80% like Cosmetic. But reducing the severity of the weather is definitely more useful than changing the color of the lightning.

Temperature Control was the closest thing I could think of. But, your campaign. If you think -80% works, it works. Not what I would use though.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
zoncxs

Quote:
Indeed, but Control puts Cosmetic (which can neither reduce nor increase the bonus) at -80% by RAW. Being able to reduce the bonus is thus going to be more than that. I dont have that Pyramid, but if Slow Fire is being used to simply prevent the _spread_ of the fire, without reducing its damage, that could qualify for -80% like Cosmetic. But reducing the severity of the weather is definitely more useful than changing the color of the lightning.
the slow fire reduces the damage from fires by half and decreases the amount of fuel the fire consumes by half. its priced as 5 levels of control with a few modifiers, including the the potency limitation.

that limitation makes it so that you can only use that power for one specific thing. One specific thing is usually priced at -80%.

Quote:
Temperature Control was the closest thing I could think of. But, your campaign. If you think -80% works, it works. Not what I would use though.
Temperature control seems like a good fit but it does not prevent things like current shifts at sea and storms. also its not my campaign, there is no campaign. This thread is for those who won't to post their own spells for use by others.

If any of the builds in this thread does not match your assumptions for your campaign then you can change what you need. ;)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #20
Leynok

Animate Dead/Zombie
Keywords: None.
Full Cost: 54 (53.8) Points.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Gaze) to aim.
Range: 10 yards.
Duration: Instant. Undead created will last until destroyed.
The target of this spell must be a mostly complete dead body, the nature of which determines the type of undead produced. The corpse is raised as an obedient undead servant of the caster. It’s attributes are equal to those the body had during life, as well as its physical Advantages, Disadvantages and DX based skills, modified as appropriate according to its new undead racial template lense. However, a sorcerer can only put so much power into any corpse, any undead corpse animated this way can only have up to 25% of the total point cost of the Sorcerer at the time of casting, if any corpse raised through this spell would go over that limit, the GM is free to weaken the corpse (You couldn’t restore it to it’s former glory) or simply state that as you are, you aren’t powerful enough to raise this corpse.
Statistics: Ally, 25% point total, x4 rate of appearance (Summonable +100%; Summons a new undead each time; Cosmic, No Reaction Roll Required +100%; Cosmic, Godlike Tricks* +1,000%; Minion +50%; Ranged +40% Reduced Range /10 -30%; Trigger, Corpse, Common, -20%; Sorcery -15%; No Signature +20%)
*This Cosmic turns the ability into the power to make Allies, instead of being the Advantage of having Allies. Even when you switch to a different ability, the zombies will still exist and follow your orders. This literally lets you have infinite minions and bypasses the alternate abilities, and so I felt if any value was fair, it would be +1,000%.

My take on the Zombie spell. I was just building it for my own possible game (I make more than I actually run ^^;) and figured I may as well share.
Another method you could do rather than using the Cosmic Godlike Tricks is buy the advantage as an Ally Group, with the group number representing how much you're capable to keeping animated at once, but then it might need a weaker Cosmic to let the zombies continue to exist after switching your Alternate Abilities, but still need to switch to this spell to raise them.

Edit: Just noticed a small mistake, having listed a Common Trigger as -30% rather than -20%. Is fixed.

Last edited by Leynok; 09-19-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, magic as powers, powers, sorcery