Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
mhd

Default Power: Copy Book

A player who wants to portray a priest of a deity of knowledge asked me for a spell to copy books at hand. He's okay with bringing empty books with him and then touching the works to be copied.

My guess would've been Snatcher, but with Permanent (+300%) and Creation (+100%), no amount of limitations and accesibility modifiers would bring it down to something sensible (50 pt range).

Affiliction, Duplication does sound a bit wonky at first glance.
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Power: Copy Book

You don't really need Creation, though. That a copy of that book is lost in one of the infinite alternate timelines is just an inevitability anyway.

Affliction with +150% Permanent and giving 1-Use Only Duplication works from a mechanical standpoint.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

As a GM, I'd personally borrow the wealth mechanic from the create advantage, and not charge for permanent. I wouldn't charge for creation in any case. Creation allows you to build things from memory or imagination and ignore penalties for rare objects. This really doesn't do either of those. The fluff behind those limitations or lack there of is irrelevant to actual cost.

Between 'Only books', 'materials required', and 'only copies objects at hand', you get get -80%, no problem. that gives you a cost of [16]. This really isn't a game breaking ability -- as long as you keep the wealth under control.

You must buy wealth/independent income to represent how many books you can create. The 16 points can be an alternate ability -- in fact I expect them to be. The wealth points shouldn't be allowed as an alternate ability -- which means they are likely to be the most expensive part of the advantage.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
That a copy of that book is lost in one of the infinite alternate timelines is just an inevitability anyway.
Last time I saw it, it was floating next to the Infinite Sea of Typewriters in the Plane of Monkeys.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Last time I saw it, it was floating next to the Infinite Sea of Typewriters in the Plane of Monkeys.
Yes, but that one is in all lower case except for where all the a's are replaced with 4's. And the punctuation is pretty bad.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
A player who wants to portray a priest of a deity of knowledge asked me for a spell to copy books at hand. He's okay with bringing empty books with him and then touching the works to be copied.
Personally I'd just charge him 10 points for it and call it done. Consider it the cost for a technique buying off the Reduced Time penalty (for -100%) for whatever skill he would normally use to copy a book (Professional Skill Scribe maybe). Charge a few more points if he doesn't want to make skill rolls either.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
SRoach

Isn't there a spell for copying text? Can't you cook one up for copying larger volumes of text at once?
SRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
You don't really need Creation, though. That a copy of that book is lost in one of the infinite alternate timelines is just an inevitability anyway.

Affliction with +150% Permanent and giving 1-Use Only Duplication works from a mechanical standpoint.
This is exactly what I'd do - but I'd use "Truly Permanent" (+300%) for Extended Duration and with 1-use only you'd probably only get one chance to dupe the book.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
This is exactly what I'd do - but I'd use "Truly Permanent" (+300%) for Extended Duration and with 1-use only you'd probably only get one chance to dupe the book.
+150% is fine, as the dupe is still subject to fire, water damage, being ripped up, or otherwise destroyed. Being subject to mundane means of destruction more than satisfies the requirements for +150%.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
+150% is fine, as the dupe is still subject to fire, water damage, being ripped up, or otherwise destroyed. Being subject to mundane means of destruction more than satisfies the requirements for +150%.
I don't know. The fact that it's just a book means it's subject to those things. With Extended Duration at +150% you need to specify a condition that dispels what the ability did (in this case, the Affliction. So I don't think you can double dip like that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, copy power