Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
mook

Default Your Preferred Format for Video Actual Plays?

Howdy, folks, like to pick your brain for a moment.

Assuming you enjoy watching TTRPG video actual plays or recording your own games for archiving, I'm curious which format you prefer of those below (or another I missed that floats your boat). The question assumes some kind of Virtual Tabletop, but I'm less interested in the specific program used or the content of the examples given than I am about the placement of elements on the screen. If you feel there's a wide gap between your personal preference and what "most" gamers prefer, I'd like to hear that too.

1) Player Audio Only. The VTT dominates the screen and maps, token movements, dice rolls, images, etc. are all seen, but players are only heard (i.e., no webcams).

2) With Video. Video is added unobtrusively, usually in a line at top or bottom.

3) Video Dominant. The players' video feeds and the VTT (if even used) are split closer to equal, giving the video much more prominence. May not even be used as a map, but simply as a shared area for inspirational/game-appropriate images.

Here's a screenshot that might make it clearer. Personally, I prefer audio only when GMing, but I'm not sure if that's because I think it's legit a better format or if I just don't want to fiddle with one more thing.

Thanks!

Last edited by mook; 12-28-2019 at 09:08 AM.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Your Preferred Format for Video Actual Plays?

If actually watching, I'd want Video Dominant so there is more to see. However, I prefer listening to watching, as I can fill my commute that way rather than spending otherwise free time watching a screen.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
RogerBW

Indeed; I've tried games in the latter two styles, but I generally end up stripping out the audio track and putting it in the podcast queue.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
RyanW

I think I'd like to see someone try it with, instead of a face cam window, you've got character portraits. Some sort of highlight (lighted border, perhaps) when the corresponding player is speaking.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:14 AM   #5
Micahel Silverbane

I very much prefer video dominant for watching tabletop play.
Micahel Silverbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
TrollishMcTroll

Going to go with Video Dominant. Even though most of the streams I follow only get listened to at work, I like having the option to check out the video, particularly if the group uses a lot of props, tactical maps, etc.
TrollishMcTroll is offline   Reply With Quote