Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Jinumon

Default [Campaigns] Non-Dungeon Fantasy

Hey all,

Just figured I'd gather some opinions from the community. I just got a Fantasy game off the ground that I've been prepping for for quite a while. The game takes place in a well-forested medieval nation about the size of Great Britain, with plenty of politics for the nobles and plenty of wilderness for adventurers. The players surprised me somewhat with their choice of characters: a wandering Jack-of-All-Trades with some magic up her sleeve, a high-noble forensic sorceress who moonlights as an art thief, and a disenfranchised blueblood with plans to assassinate his way up the social ladder.

I was able to get them all together for the first session; the wanderer and assassin got caught up in a murder investigation being worked by the sorceress, and were strong-armed into cooperating. I'm hoping that they'll have developed enough comradery that they'll make a point of sticking together after all is said and done. There has been a little bit of combat thus far (a scuffle with some street muscle), but I plan on keeping combat to a minimum, as none of the players are particularly combat-oriented.

What are some ways to keep the campaign exciting and distinctly "Fantasy-flavored" in absence of the traditional exploration, dungeoneering, and monster-hunting?

I have no problem running a less-combat-intensive game, I just don't have the best idea of how to do it successfully.

Please and thank you, everyone,

Jinumon
Jinumon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaigns, fantasy, influence skills, politics, social engineering