Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2005, 08:16 PM   #21
DryaUnda

Default Re: New Talents?

Here's something I've always thought would be appropriate for such types as biotech scientists:
Fleshworker: Diagnosis, Bioengineering, Biology, Pharmacy, Physician, Physiology, Psychology, Surgery, and Veterinary. Reaction Bonus: anyone funding or critiquing your work. 10 points/level.
As you can easily notice, this is a variation of Healer, and I hope I'll be forgiven for that.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:40 PM   #22
Stephane_Theriault

Impersonator: Acting, Disguise, Body Language, Steetwise, Mimicry, Savoir-Faire (Servant). Cost is 5 points per level. Bonus applies to actors, impersonators and disguise artists.

My own version of Computer Wizard: Computer Programming, Computer Operations, Electronics Operation(Computer), Mathematics(Computer Science), Computer Hacking. Cost is 5 points/level. Bonus applies to programmers, hackers, and computer science researchers.
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #23
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie the Technomancer
Impersonator: Acting, Disguise, Body Language, Steetwise, Mimicry, Savoir-Faire (Servant). Cost is 5 points per level. Bonus applies to actors, impersonators and disguise artists.
Okay, I'll bite. Why Streetwise and Savoir Faire(Servant)? To impersonate criminals
and servants? Then why not Priest, or Savoir Faire/Military, or straight Savoir Faire?
And where's Fast Talk?

Arne
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #24
bergec

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej
Okay, I'll bite. Why Streetwise and Savoir Faire(Servant)? To impersonate criminals
and servants? Then why not Priest, or Savoir Faire/Military, or straight Savoir Faire?
And where's Fast Talk?
I think because a person with this talent has a keen sense of observation for the rules of social conduct, which is what allows them to fake them so well. Streetwise and Savior Faire are specifically about knowing how to act with particular people. Not sure why she chose to make the latter specific to Servant, though.

Not sure Fast Talk fits. This person isn't necessarily good at outright lying, but at fitting in.

Playing: D&D, Traveller
Reading: RuneQuest: Adventures in Glorantha
bergec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
And where's Fast Talk?
First, this Talent is not for the common street impersonator or the typical sweet talker. It is for the ninja or assassin who's role it is to infiltrate places, not by stealth, but by blending in.

Accordingly, no Fast-Talk. As I said, this is not a sweet talker who has the knowledge of plying people to his will. Of course an individual can learn Fast-Talk by himself, but it doesn't fit with this particular Talent.

Streetwise and SF(servant) are to impersonate low-level criminals and servants, yes; attitudes that doesn't really need to be taught. I see other types of Savoir-Faire as too elaborate: Savoir-Faire(Priest) probably includes a lot of different protocols for each church, and (Military) is more about navigating the army's internal bureaucracy. I can't see justifying a natural affinity for such skills, at least not for an impersonator.

Maybe Savoir-Faire (or more precisely, Savoir-Faire(Nobility)) could have been part of it, but again, for me this is more something that is learned than something that is instinctively understood by someone who is not part of the nobility. The line is thin, I know, but that's my choice, and it has been approved by the GM :)

Last edited by Stephane_Theriault; 02-01-2005 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Important Typo
Old 02-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #26
Luther
Grim Reaper

Quote:
And where's Fast Talk?
Maybe because then the talent would cost 10/lvl? :-P

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #27
warmachine

Default Another New Talent

Speed Freak: Your perception seems to be wired for scenery moving at 100mph. Driving, Parachuting, Pilot, Riding, Skiing, Teamster. Reaction bonus: drivers and pilots. 5 points/level.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #28
wesd_dm

Brewmaster: Alchemy, Herb Lore, Beer Brewing, Wine Making, Cook (specialized in Chile preparation)

5pts / level and a bonus from those with the patience to spend days or weeks to get a recipe right.

Last edited by wesd_dm; 02-01-2005 at 04:26 PM.
wesd_dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #29
eclipsek

Quote:
Here's something I've always thought would be appropriate for such types as biotech scientists:
Fleshworker: Diagnosis, Bioengineering, Biology, Pharmacy, Physician, Physiology, Psychology, Surgery, and Veterinary. Reaction Bonus: anyone funding or critiquing your work. 10 points/level.
Just what do you think we biotech people do?
Perhaps the list works for technomancer (I just got the books so I don't know)

But more real world
Biotech scientist:
Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Genetics (aka Bioengineering), Research (or what ever you want to call the skill you use for all the digging through books, papers & computer sources we use) and a bonus to the field you currently work in (ie: physician for those who do cancer research, botany for those who do plant research, Vet for those who do animal research)

I'm not well versed in 4th Ed skills so some of the skills I listed may not exist anymore.

Biotechs are not in the business of diagnosing patients usually (there is one subset of the trade that might but most of us don't), and Surgery is something we leave to specialty doctors... we like to grow our organisms from scratch, thanks - parts are icky.
:)
-Sue-a-real-life-biotech
eclipsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #30
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
Maybe because then the talent would cost 10/lvl? :-P
There's that, true. But keeping it at 5 points/level was not a priority at all. I just selected the skills that seemed appropriate, and that's what I ended up with.

Tags
house rules, talents