Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #521
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantastic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
You allow people to modify the TM as they raise there skill by adding more deceptive to it?

I thought TM was 'this is set in stone'
Nothing says it's a once-ever purchase. If people want to upgrade what it does between sessions without actually changing its nature, I see no reason not to allow that.

I suppose a real hard-ass GM could rule it's a one-time thing, but that'll just discourage its use, which will slow down play as each turn becomes a decision point instead "I do my Trademark Move on that guy <there>." So you have to decide - do you want to speed up play, or not? If the answer is yes, letting people upgrade as their skills increase will do that.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #522
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

This was going to be nothing but a link to Kromm's Throwing Master advantage, but I ended up noodling on a bit about the two different rapid throwing techniques in GURPS Martial Arts, and why there are two.

Kromm's GURPS throwing master advantage
My S&C Blog
Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #523
Kalzazz

Shurikens retailing for $3 means they would require a much more expensive cornucopia

Though you could make a Cornucopia of Cheap Shurikens (is there any disadvantage to cheap shurikens? Can you even make such? Why not cheap arrows for that matter? You aren't going to parry with them)

If you get the chance could you point out the relevant areas in Martial Arts? I can only actually bring to mind one rule in Martial Arts that seems shuriken relevant, not two.

As a note - shuriken is something that the autocorrect spelling doesn't seem to like, huh
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #524
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Shurikens retailing for $3 means they would require a much more expensive cornucopia

Though you could make a Cornucopia of Cheap Shurikens (is there any disadvantage to cheap shurikens? Can you even make such? Why not cheap arrows for that matter? You aren't going to parry with them)
My players have asked about cheap thrown weapons - I generally tell them they inflict -1 Acc, and may have reduced range, too.

Cornucopia Shuriken do hit an unfortunate break point - it might be worth saying, whatever, it's $1/point of energy. It's just not a problem to have a cornucopia of them.

Quote:
If you get the chance could you point out the relevant areas in Martial Arts? I can only actually bring to mind one rule in Martial Arts that seems shuriken relevant, not two.

As a note - shuriken is something that the autocorrect spelling doesn't seem to like, huh
The rules I was thinking of are both on page 120, with very similar names. Rapid Fire with Thrown Weapons is the cloud of shuriken rule. Rapid Strike with Thrown Weapons is the one inspired by actual shurikenjutsu.

Quote:
Autocorrect, by the way, marks autocorrect as incorrect.
My S&C Blog
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #525
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
My players have asked about cheap thrown weapons - I generally tell them they inflict -1 Acc, and may have reduced range, too.
I see mainly three approaches. First, the easiest, is to say that Cheap (as opposed to Poorly Balanced; the former is +2 breakage, the latter is -1 skill/Acc) doesn't exist for projectiles. The second is if you have a system for determining if ammunition recovered after a battle is broken, Cheap stuff has a much higher probability of being broken (say, most projectiles have a 4/6 chance of surviving; Cheap only have 2/6). This is likely to result in characters using large numbers of Cheap arrows and the like - cost may be a larger concern than weight when it comes to ammunition, and you can buy 2.5x as many arrows for the same price if you go Cheap. The last is more complicated and cruel - Cheap projectiles have a chance (50% might work) of simply breaking outright when striking rigid DR 2+, which either completely negates the attack or weakens it considerably (half damage and x2 DR, like Tbone's Glance mechanics, may be appropriate).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #526
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I see mainly three approaches. First, the easiest, is to say that Cheap (as opposed to Poorly Balanced; the former is +2 breakage, the latter is -1 skill/Acc) doesn't exist for projectiles.
This is generally how I approach it, but people keep asking, especially in conjunction with Cornucopia. Of course, shuriken aren't technically projectiles, they are thrown weapons, and probably should be treated like knives for quality purposes.

Quote:
The second is if you have a system for determining if ammunition recovered after a battle is broken, Cheap stuff has a much higher probability of being broken (say, most projectiles have a 4/6 chance of surviving; Cheap only have 2/6). This is likely to result in characters using large numbers of Cheap arrows and the like - cost may be a larger concern than weight when it comes to ammunition, and you can buy 2.5x as many arrows for the same price if you go Cheap.
Right, and the problem with that is obvious when it comes to Cornucopia - it's basically a free discount. It also makes little sense for shuriken, because even if they got bent on impact, they'd still be worth a lot more than $0.

Quote:
The last is more complicated and cruel - Cheap projectiles have a chance (50% might work) of simply breaking outright when striking rigid DR 2+, which either completely negates the attack or weakens it considerably (half damage and x2 DR, like Tbone's Glance mechanics, may be appropriate).
This could make sense, but it means the cheapness of construction always has something to do with how hard it impacts and penetrates, and nothing to do with flight characteristics. The main problem I'd expect with cheap arrows wouldn't be shattering, less recoverability, or anything of that sort - it would be that they don't fly particularly well. That might be okay at close range, but you wouldn't want to depend on them.

I haven't seen too much to gain with Cheap projectiles in my games. I occasionally throw them in, but I don't offer them for sale - they're the byproduct of bad production, poor maintenance, or insufficient materials, and not available on any regular basis. The fletcher doesn't sell cheap arrows, the Mage's Guild doesn't product Cornucopia Quivers of cheap bodkins, etc. When they appear, it's -1 to Acc or -1 to hit, depending on my call on what's really wrong with them.

Additionally, I just flat out rule that you can't get Cornucopia cast on sub-standard ammunition of any kind, no matter what it is. If pushed on that "no" I'll come up with some in-game reasoning, but the "no" won't change.
My S&C Blog
Old 11-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #527
Varyon

Quote:
This could make sense, but it means the cheapness of construction always has something to do with how hard it impacts and penetrates, and nothing to do with flight characteristics. The main problem I'd expect with cheap arrows wouldn't be shattering, less recoverability, or anything of that sort - it would be that they don't fly particularly well. That might be okay at close range, but you wouldn't want to depend on them.
That comes down to "Cheap doesn't exist, but Poorly Balanced does." I think Poorly Balanced was previously written as Cheap (Balance), so it's still a cheapness thing (it also has the same effect, -0.6 CF, as normal Cheap). And, as I said above, that stance is a perfectly fine one.

Quote:
Additionally, I just flat out rule that you can't get Cornucopia cast on sub-standard ammunition of any kind, no matter what it is. If pushed on that "no" I'll come up with some in-game reasoning, but the "no" won't change.
Just say magic either works outright - producing items of proper quality in this case - or doesn't work at all. A cheap Cornucopia is one that functionally has Unreliable, not one that makes cheap ammunition. Just like how Flesh to Stone doesn't cause the target's flesh to get a bit harder and heavier (putting it somewhere between flesh and stone) if you half-ass it. Well, or don't bother explaining it. "Nobody understands why it's impossible to produce a Cornucopia that creates Cheap arrows. As the market for such has been deemed too small to justify researching it, none of the guilds have put much effort into doing so."
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #528
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

This post rounds up - and rounds out - my posts on magical armor in my DF game.

DF Felltower Armor Enchantment

It's house-rule heavy, because I wanted some specific effects and some specific ease of use. It works find in actual play, but it's obviously not the RAW.
My S&C Blog
Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #529
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

The latest session summary of our DF game is up. It features homages to old D&D modules and the PCs totally dismantling a set-piece death trap of a battle with careful preparation.

DF Session 51, Felltower 42 - the Holy & the Unholy
My S&C Blog
Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #530
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Vryce has 30 HP. We had a fun time talking about what that means in play yesterday. Here is a partial rundown of what that gets him.

Vryce's 30 HP
My S&C Blog

Tags
blogs, dungeon fantasy