Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Anders

Default The Swedish RPG Wonder

Why was the Swedish RPG industry so strong in the 1980s?

Panel from ComicCon Stockholm 2019. It's difficult for people nowadays to understand just how prevalent RPGs were in the 1980s. There were a couple of kids in every class who played Drakar och Demoner (DoD, as separate from Dungeons and Dragons, D&D) The term fantasy for a genre didn't exist - they were "DoD-style books" or "LotR-style books."The main company, Äventyrsspel, translated stories about Conan, Elric and other heroes into Swedish, and there was nothing else like it.

The panel is, of course, in English.

To any other Swedes on the forum - were you active in the 80s? Have you played adventures like Döda Skogen (the Dead Forest), Svavelvinter (Sulfurous Winter) and Marsklandet (the Marshlands)?

For non-Swedish people, have you played Swedish RPGs?

Last edited by Anders; 09-22-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #2
bert

Default Re: The Swedish RPG Wonder

I was active in the 80s, yes - grew up with Drakar & Demoner, then played the swedish translation of MERP (yuck!), the swedish translation of WEG Star Wars (good!), before moving on to Call of Cthulhu.

Yes I remember Svavelvinter, especially Blatifagus (a near sighted dragon, quite vain, with the tail tip cut off by dome dragon hunter). And we played Den Svarta Madonnan, maybe our biggest experience.

Also remember how Kult started the decline of the swedish rpg market - the moral panic forced all rpgs off the shelves of toy stores.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
Anders

Svavelvinter and the entire adventure path went dark. The shagulites (insane necromancers looking for eternal life) were nasty. They performed horrible experiments on people to find out how much they could take before they cracked...

And when Dungeons&Dragons was translated into Swedish it fizzled out. First of all, the translation wasn't very good. Second - all Swedish kids know how to speak English anyway - why read a subpar copy? And thirdly, all the adventures and supplements were for Drakar och Demoner.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Bengt

My first RPG was Mutant from '84 (though I had the '86 printing, but I think they just differ in art and layout). I remember most of Uppdrag in Mos Mosel (the starter adventure), I know I had some of the published adventures as well but I don't remember anything about them.

I played some DoD in the early 90s before moving through various american systems. I'm currently playing in an Eon IV (one of the current crop of Swedish RPGs) campaign, so back home again. :)
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Anders

Mos Mosel was the Body Snatchers adventure, wasn't it? Where most of a village had been replaced by pod people?
Old 09-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
For non-Swedish people, have you played Swedish RPGs?
Didn't even know Sweden had a playerbase until the 00's...

The first non-English game I encountered was Trauma, which was an English translation of a french RPG. The first I encountered that I had a clue was Swedish in origin was Mutan Year Zero - but I've not played it, only skimmed it.

So far, I have played/run 1: Alien. Fria Ligan's fast play; waiting on the books.
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
exalted

Wasn't into DoD until mid 90's but we used both the older D&Dish books and the later and often much disliked Chronopia books as young teens the problems wherent all that apperant. I think Chronopia later colored much of what we played over the next decade or so, as rather cynical and darker then much regular fantasy RPG. It also convinced me that any written adventure wasn't worth running as written after trying a few for that system. Then we discovered GURPS and there was rather less of DoD but there was a short EON period somewhere there where at least half the joy was generating the very very very random characters while the system was really a mess once players got some system mastery.

Never really got into more recent swedish games probably too simulationist for the ones I've check out lately but they tend to have rather gorgeous art which I do enjoy. At the same time I didn't expect to enjoy running a D&D 2ish ed game again and I'm doing that right now so perhaps I should try something new :D.

Last edited by exalted; 09-22-2019 at 03:44 PM.
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Didn't even know Sweden had a playerbase until the 00's...
In the 1980's, Drakar och Demoner was the second-best selling selling RPG in the world. We had a ridiculously large player base for such a small country.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
namada

I've not played any Swedish RPGs, however, all RPGs were bigger in the 80's - mostly because there were far fewer of them and thus they each had a much larger base. Nowadays, there a thousands of RPGs, and at best, each one of those sees one actual session of play somewhere in the world...
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 PM   #10
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
In the 1980's, Drakar och Demoner was the second-best selling selling RPG in the world. We had a ridiculously large player base for such a small country.
Perhaps, but I'd be surprised if more than proverbial handful of North Americans (be they US or Canadian) heard about them before 1996... the "pubic internet" era's start.

What I've seen of modern Swedish designs got me to plunk down the most I've ever dropped at one time for a core set... Fria Ligan's Alien. I've looked at their other games, and Forbidden Lands looks REALLY interesting. Different. Not quite so nice a setting...
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1980s, roleplaying games, sweden