Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Stripe

Default Re: [Magic] Other Melee Weapons Functioning as the Wizard's Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
It would be an alternate version of the Staff spell/enchantment in my games.
That's also what I do since the sentence from 3e that explicitly states the item types listed are only for color and not for balance -- any item can be enchanted with any spell -- isn't in 4e. I wish that single sentence would have made the cut.

I once ran a side quest using the rules for inventing new spells (and spell variants) from Magic/Basic Set pages M14-15, B473-474. The rules lay out the process step-by-step.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Novembermike

Is he trying to gain a mechanical advantage? If so throw a talent worth a few points that lets him do it. If not then just let him do it. It's really a flavor specific thing so I wouldn't worry too much.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novembermike View Post
Is he trying to gain a mechanical advantage? If so throw a talent worth a few points that lets him do it. If not then just let him do it. It's really a flavor specific thing so I wouldn't worry too much.
It's only a matter of being able to cast Melee spells via weapon. And that's it.
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
In thoery, you can't because the staff must be made from once-living material, as detail in Magic p. 13

Remember you play GURPS and all things can be turn inside out! I had a dwarf mage in a campaing where he use his hammer like a Magic Staff with the help of a Perk from his magical school (see Thaumatology: Magical Styles).
I did the same, though it was a magic sword instead of a hammer and it was before Magic Styles came out. I just took an Extra Option perk for it. It was enchanted through a completely different means than the Staff spell, too; you might want to look into that kind of thing, where he just pays a CP cost instead of a $$$ cost for his unique weapon-staff.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
By RAW, I think a staff has to be a once living thing (wood, bone, etc.). That may be 3e memory creep, though, and I don't have my books to check it.

Personally, I might allow something like meteoric iron or orichalcum to be a staff, as well. Other than the added expense of special metal, I wouldn't change anything about the way the Staff enchantment works.
A "once living thing" could be iron removed from blood. The logical way to do this is make a deal with a kosher slaughterhouse. The full of awesome way is to make the sword from the blood of a thousand screaming human victims.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
A "once living thing" could be iron removed from blood. The logical way to do this is make a deal with a kosher slaughterhouse. The full of awesome way is to make the sword from the blood of a thousand screaming human victims.

Luke
Once you remove the iron you can use the remaining 'blood' as the quench medium.

I don't see the big deal. But unless it's a two handed sword he will only get a reach of 1 out of it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #17
William

Narwhal tusk always struck me as a cool possibility. Shard of dragon fang, if that's a possibility for your world.

Another possibility: make the weapon out of organic material, enchant it with Staff, and then whatever series of spells you care to use to transmute it permanently to metal.

Bear in mind, it's not all that much of an advantage, so too complex a method will have a low percentage return.

Personally, I had a character who had a 6 foot leather whip, and kept a spell stone of Extend Object handy.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
cbower

I once made characters trying to do this hunt the "Beast with Steel Bones" in the Spirit World.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
I once made characters trying to do this hunt the "Beast with Steel Bones" in the Spirit World.
If they had asked I would have given them my ex's number for beer money.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I've designed multiple wizards who use boomerangs as their main weapons. Rule of Cool.

Tags
enchant, melee spells, staff, weapon, wizard's reach