Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Snatcher for One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Or when you've just plain lost it, or left it somewhere on purpose.I'm with Kalzazz, in that this seems like more than a simple Perk. The idea of borrowing Summonable and attaching it to gear or a Gadget is a bit suspicious, but does have a certain appeal to simplicity,
It also has rather attractive (to the GM) feature of costing +100%, which is about the same price as non-combat Cosmics tend to work out anyways.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It also has rather attractive (to the GM) feature of costing +100%, which is about the same price as non-combat Cosmics tend to work out anyways.
Well, I figure that Ally and Signature Gear are kind of parallel advantages in many ways anyway, since there are so many things (vehicles, animal companions, etc.) that could be written up either way, so porting Summonable over to Signature Gear seems reasonable in concept too. In fact, there are a number of characters in fiction that summon their vehicles, such as mecha, and giving them all Cosmic Payload limited to one item may be less elegant than just making the gear Summonable.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Payload only really helps for hiding it away. If somebody grabs it from you while it's not in your Payload, it does nothing.
Signature gear means you get it back anyway. Letting it be summonable just makes that easier on everybody. I'm not sure what we are arguing about, really, for the vast majority of signature gear, IMO, +100% is one point.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Signature gear means you get it back anyway.
Eventually, sure, but Cosmic Payload will do nothing to speed up that process unless you actually tucked the item away in your Payload in the first place.

Quote:
Letting it be summonable just makes that easier on everybody. I'm not sure what we are arguing about, really, for the vast majority of signature gear, IMO, +100% is one point.
Well, for things like a really good enchanted sword or staff in a TL3 or TL4 campaign, it's likely to be a good deal more than that, but certainly not up to the 20 CP for a -80% limited Snatcher ability.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Eventually, sure, but Cosmic Payload will do nothing to speed up that process unless you actually tucked the item away in your Payload in the first place.
"SOP: Always put staff into hideaway space before potentially losing it", is also 1 point.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
vitruvian

Quote:
"SOP: Always put staff into hideaway space before potentially losing it", is also 1 point.
If you're actually using it in combat, and an enemy either grabs it away with Quick Contest or knocks you out then steals the staff while you're unconscious, that SOP won't work. The concept calls for being able to summon your staff back to you even in those sorts of situations, and Cosmic Payload just won't do that.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
If you're actually using it in combat, and an enemy either grabs it away with Quick Contest or knocks you out then steals the staff while you're unconscious, that SOP won't work. The concept calls for being able to summon your staff back to you even in those sorts of situations, and Cosmic Payload just won't do that.
I'm not saying that it should. I'm saying that if a character has Signature Gear, and Cosmic Payload for that Signature Gear, then being able to summon the item if lost isn't worth much at all. You already are going to get it back anyway, and you've giving the GM a narrative excuse that's a lot easier than most. At this point the GM is probably going to have it reappear in your hideaway space eventually anyway, simply guaranteeing this is clearly a perk.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
vitruvian

Quote:
I'm not saying that it should. I'm saying that if a character has Signature Gear, and Cosmic Payload for that Signature Gear, then being able to summon the item if lost isn't worth much at all. You already are going to get it back anyway, and you've giving the GM a narrative excuse that's a lot easier than most. At this point the GM is probably going to have it reappear in your hideaway space eventually anyway, simply guaranteeing this is clearly a perk.
Nah, I'd make them either have Snatcher or Summonable on the Signature Gear itself for that effect. Otherwise, if the SG is actively stolen, they'd have to actually adventure to retrieve it or replace it, just as normal for SG, because I don't see Cosmic Payload as helping with retrieval of stolen items.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
Alden Loveshade

Hey, some great ideas, folks!

Some of these might work really well for some cases, and I'm sorry I didn't specifically clarify what I was looking for. I want the wizard to be able to summon forth her staff from wherever it is, whether it's lost, stolen, or sitting in its case at home. It would be nice but not essential if she could send it back home, or if she could summon it from another dimension/world (I'd be somewhat OK if she had to look for it in that case, but the campaign involves lots of relatively easy traveling to other worlds).

As for Cosmic, I've seen both here and in the GURPS Social Engineering playtest that's there's various house rules for this, which is fine--GURPS is about doing it as you want. But in our game, we're going by the book: p. B33 says Cosmic is "abilities that emanate from the universe itself or otherwise defy explanation. This is reserved for gods, powerful spirits, supers, etc." My wizard is just a "normal" wizard, so in our game Cosmic wouldn't apply to her.

I'm thinking it being a Named Possession, which if you don't know is a Perk where your item gains character points as you do as long as you've done something of "spiritual significance." You can trade each character point for 25 points of enchantment if you want (although the enchantment doesn't have to be classified as magical). This would make it hard to figure as Signature Gear, plus every time her staff gains points she'd have to spend her own character points for the increased value, which would be overly expensive.

As an example of how expensive Signature Gear can get when combined with Named Possession, in a TL 3 campaign like hers the average starting wealth is $1000. If she spends 10 of the staff's character points on enchantments, that's paid for by Named Possession. But if it's also Signature Gear, that's 10 * 25 = 250, so the cost is $33 * 250 = $8250 which rounds up to having to spend 5 of her own character points! However, I suppose I could use the Signature Gear option of Ally, Enhancements Constantly and Summonable. I'll give it some thought.

By the way, if you don't have GURPS Power-Ups 2: Perks I'd suggest buying it. Personally I think it would be well worth it at twice the cost.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
Alden Loveshade

Let me know if you think this works:

Named Possession (1, Frequency of Appearance: Constantly * 4, Summonable +100%) If I'm reading p. B36 Frequency of Appearance right on the order to figure the math, this would be:

(1 * 4) + (1 * 4) = 8 pts.

Or should it be:

(1 * 4) + 1 = 5 pts.?
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, gurps, limitations, snatcher, staff