Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Harry O'Gane

Default [Magic] Other Melee Weapons Functioning as the Wizard's Staff

A player came up with an idea to make his weapon (a broadsword) have the same ability as the Wizard's Staff, which prolongs the mages reach when it comes to Melee spells.

Is there any way to figure this out? I've glanced through Magic a bit, the parts regarding Enchantment and Magic Items, but i cannot find anything.

What I had in mind is to add a +CF modifier similar to the one of weapon being Meteoric - +49CF or so, with some kind of Generic name like "Infused". This type of weapon would give the user +2 on rolls to enchant the item, cast a spell on it or to identify its properties, and it would give the ability to prolong the user's reach with Melee spells.

Is there anything regarding this subject in other books, though?

Marko Zadro
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: [Magic] Other Melee Weapons Functioning as the Wizard's Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
By RAW, I think a staff has to be a once living thing (wood, bone, etc.). That may be 3e memory creep, though, and I don't have my books to check it.

Personally, I might allow something like meteoric iron or orichalcum to be a staff, as well. Other than the added expense of special metal, I wouldn't change anything about the way the Staff enchantment works.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
By RAW, I think a staff has to be a once living thing (wood, bone, etc.). That may be 3e memory creep, though, and I don't have my books to check it.

Personally, I might allow something like meteoric iron or orichalcum to be a staff, as well. Other than the added expense of special metal, I wouldn't change anything about the way the Staff enchantment works.
A "once living thing" could be iron removed from blood. The logical way to do this is make a deal with a kosher slaughterhouse. The full of awesome way is to make the sword from the blood of a thousand screaming human victims.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
A "once living thing" could be iron removed from blood. The logical way to do this is make a deal with a kosher slaughterhouse. The full of awesome way is to make the sword from the blood of a thousand screaming human victims.

Luke
Once you remove the iron you can use the remaining 'blood' as the quench medium.

I don't see the big deal. But unless it's a two handed sword he will only get a reach of 1 out of it.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
William

Narwhal tusk always struck me as a cool possibility. Shard of dragon fang, if that's a possibility for your world.

Another possibility: make the weapon out of organic material, enchant it with Staff, and then whatever series of spells you care to use to transmute it permanently to metal.

Bear in mind, it's not all that much of an advantage, so too complex a method will have a low percentage return.

Personally, I had a character who had a 6 foot leather whip, and kept a spell stone of Extend Object handy.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
cbower

I once made characters trying to do this hunt the "Beast with Steel Bones" in the Spirit World.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
korbeau

In thoery, you can't because the staff must be made from once-living material, as detail in Magic p. 13

Remember you play GURPS and all things can be turn inside out! I had a dwarf mage in a campaing where he use his hammer like a Magic Staff with the help of a Perk from his magical school (see Thaumatology: Magical Styles).
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
In thoery, you can't because the staff must be made from once-living material, as detail in Magic p. 13

Remember you play GURPS and all things can be turn inside out! I had a dwarf mage in a campaing where he use his hammer like a Magic Staff with the help of a Perk from his magical school (see Thaumatology: Magical Styles).
I did the same, though it was a magic sword instead of a hammer and it was before Magic Styles came out. I just took an Extra Option perk for it. It was enchanted through a completely different means than the Staff spell, too; you might want to look into that kind of thing, where he just pays a CP cost instead of a $$$ cost for his unique weapon-staff.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
A player came up with an idea to make his weapon (a broadsword) have the same ability as the Wizard's Staff, which prolongs the mages reach when it comes to Melee spells.

Is there any way to figure this out? I've glanced through Magic a bit, the parts regarding Enchantment and Magic Items, but i cannot find anything.

What I had in mind is to add a +CF modifier similar to the one of weapon being Meteoric - +49CF or so, with some kind of Generic name like "Infused". This type of weapon would give the user +2 on rolls to enchant the item, cast a spell on it or to identify its properties, and it would give the ability to prolong the user's reach with Melee spells.

Marko Zadro
It would be an alternate version of the Staff spell/enchantment in my games. There is nothing about the function of the Staff spell/enchantment that limits it to being usable on staff-like items only, except that the spell was only designed to work on staves. So ... design a spell variant that works on swords instead. (Or just assume the variant already exists in-game and that, because most mages don't use swords for whatever reason, it just isn't very popular. Most people who sword at other people don't tend to be mages.)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Kazander

The use of a Staff is ultimately a genre-convention.

I allow players out of it through an Extra Option perk, specialized by weapon.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchant, melee spells, staff, weapon, wizard's reach