Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Stormcro

Default advice for Oriental characters in Melee

My Kids bought me the new Melee-Wizard Pocketbox , so I can retire my very beat up 40 year old sets. anyway we've been trying new characters with Oriental settings in mind. I was wondering if anyone has done the same. for example Samurai/Ronin versus Oni (demon) monsters and dragons? thinking of adding Wizard into the mix too, but I'm not sure on how to spec a Katana for my Samurai ( I've been using the standard 'bastard sword' as a Katana being that its mostly a shorter sword for two handed 1d6 and give it a +1.
then Armour for a Samurai is supposed to be very light and doesn't interfere with movement as much as European type of armour.
My son (23 now) and daughter (9) and I love the Okko Comic books and the whole Oriental settings. and this is what we are aiming for. I'd like to make a setting to play this setting in Cidri for In The Labyrinth. wondering if anyone has any specs for Oriental characters,weapons etc. thank you for reading.
Stormcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
xane

Default Re: advice for Oriental characters in Melee

"Other names for weapons" is on ITL p111
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcro View Post
My Kids bought me the new Melee-Wizard Pocketbox , so I can retire my very beat up 40 year old sets. anyway we've been trying new characters with Oriental settings in mind. I was wondering if anyone has done the same. for example Samurai/Ronin versus Oni (demon) monsters and dragons? thinking of adding Wizard into the mix too, but I'm not sure on how to spec a Katana for my Samurai ( I've been using the standard 'bastard sword' as a Katana being that its mostly a shorter sword for two handed 1d6 and give it a +1.
then Armour for a Samurai is supposed to be very light and doesn't interfere with movement as much as European type of armour.
My son (23 now) and daughter (9) and I love the Okko Comic books and the whole Oriental settings. and this is what we are aiming for. I'd like to make a setting to play this setting in Cidri for In The Labyrinth. wondering if anyone has any specs for Oriental characters,weapons etc. thank you for reading.
Yah. Map a katana to a bastard sword, a no-dachi to a two-handed sword, and a wakisashi to a short sword or long dagger. Don't slap on a +1 unless folks pay for a fine blade; there were plenty of lousy samurai swords too - they just only preserved the historical ones.

The Japanese would nab western chain mail when they could, so I'd not take the marketing copy too far on the armor bit.

O-yoroi was "great armor" and could weigh 55-65 lbs, made of iron scales. Call that plate or fine plate.

Do-Maru was about 45 lbs, with metal and leather scales. Call that half-plate.

There was a Tachi-dou which seemed to come in at about 35 lbs . . . calling that chainmail seems not-wrong

http://gunbai-militaryhistory.blogsp...or-weight.html

In short, you can probably map the stuff directly to the weapon tables as-is.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
larsdangly

The answers provided above are good, but if you want more I have a pretty extensive set of east-Asian weapons and armors stated up to be compatible with the core rules (i.e., there are lots of fun alternate choices, but none of them give you a free super power). I have intended to post these expanded equipment lists here for some weeks but have been busy at work and so haven't been able to finish off the formatting and other fine details. But if you send me a contact in a PM I will send you a 'rough draft' that has all the game-relevant info.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The answers provided above are good, but if you want more I have a pretty extensive set of east-Asian weapons and armors stated up to be compatible with the core rules (i.e., there are lots of fun alternate choices, but none of them give you a free super power). I have intended to post these expanded equipment lists here for some weeks but have been busy at work and so haven't been able to finish off the formatting and other fine details. But if you send me a contact in a PM I will send you a 'rough draft' that has all the game-relevant info.
I'd be interested in seeing this myself.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
Skarg

I want to see that too!

Otherwise what Douglas wrote, plus:

Yari is spear
Naginata is Naginata
Bo staff is quarterstaff
Shuriken is Sha-Ken
Kusari could use the Whip rules
Kama is like a small axe
Historical Nunchaku (grain flail) is a long 2-handed flail, not the Nunchucks in TFT
Jitte would do like 1d but have a disarm option (q.v. quarterstaff)
Sodegarami you'd need to invent a rule for
I might add a lighter fine armor as well that stops 4 and reduces DX by 2.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Stormcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
"Other names for weapons" is on ITL p111
I'm Behind the times, I still have my original copy of ITL ( I scanned and reprinted it for myself about 20 years ago the old copy was falling apart) my old book doesn't have that section just weapons table. I hope to get the new book soon, I'd like to get the hard backed copy someday. :)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Stormcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yah. Map a katana to a bastard sword, a no-dachi to a two-handed sword, and a wakisashi to a short sword or long dagger. Don't slap on a +1 unless folks pay for a fine blade; there were plenty of lousy samurai swords too - they just only preserved the historical ones.

The Japanese would nab western chain mail when they could, so I'd not take the marketing copy too far on the armor bit.

In short, you can probably map the stuff directly to the weapon tables as-is.
Thank you for the reply- I've been away from TFT for a long time and I think I needed reassurance . :)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
Stormcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
sounds great ! I think some others would like to see your work too. thanks for this !
Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Stormcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I want to see that too!

Otherwise what Douglas wrote, plus:

Yari is spear
Naginata is Naginata
Bo staff is quarterstaff
Shuriken is Sha-Ken
Kusari could use the Whip rules
Kama is like a small axe
Historical Nunchaku (grain flail) is a long 2-handed flail, not the Nunchucks in TFT
Jitte would do like 1d but have a disarm option (q.v. quarterstaff)
Sodegarami you'd need to invent a rule for
I might add a lighter fine armor as well that stops 4 and reduces DX by 2.
thank you - I'm going to write these down. I think I have a Japanese GURPS book in my library but I'm unable to find it.... the ones in GURPS are probably over powered for TFT anyhow.