Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #221
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: The 2019 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I wouldn't expect a Kickstarter project to be "getting art" before the Kickstarter is announced—isn't part of the point of a Kickstarter project to determine whether there's enough demand to justify splurging on art?
Depends on the nature of the project. I could easily see "I know I can make and sell a 32-page [something]; I could also expand it to 48 or even 64 pages, but that's 1.5 and 2x the cost (per-page additional costs are pretty linear) and that's NOT in the budget . . . let's see if folks want a short book or a long one."

That has many pitfalls in terms of revenue capture, but it makes for decent stretch goals.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #222
Refplace

Today's highlights from Kromm...

[Mod note: Don't copy his text. People who want to read it can click the link.]

So I expect news on Kromms last writing project soon, either out (probably next month) or that rumored kickstarter to be formally announced soon. Think that was this month?
That Vehicles project should be from Phil Masters. Wonder what era or type it will cover?
And yet another new proposal,too early to list it yet I'll see if we get an authors name soon, possibly when he announces the contract has been signed.

Oh and the TFT Companion link is working now! Buy it if you haven't already!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 07-12-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #223
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
So I expect news on Kromm's last writing project soon, either out (probably next month) or that rumored Kickstarter to be formally announced soon.
I don't think Kromm and the production crew work quite that fast; probably he's started a piece because they see an upcoming "hole" in the publication schedule.

Assuming one piece per month (which I'd rather not do, but which seems like the safe bet until the rhythm consistently changes), I suspect that July, August, and September will see, not necessarily in this order, Template Toolkit 2, MH Power-Ups 1, and Sorcery: Sound Spells. The new DFRPG Kickstarter probably fits in there someplace, too, but on a somewhat separate track.

SE: Keeping in Contact is in final-draft editing; the time to publication from that stage seems to be at least two to three months (assuming it already has an editor!), so it could come out in October, or maybe it's a bit slower and that's the target slot intended for Kromm's latest tidbit. I wonder which corner of Dungeon Fantasy (or something else) he's exploring right now?

Though HT: Electricity and Electronics has reached final-draft status, it's moderately long for layout and might have received some budget for new art (hoped-for crossover potential?). That could further delay the process, so I'm envisioning it further out than the others (a bunch of toys for Christmas?), though I'd love to be wrong. And the only other products that are known to be at all advanced along the pipeline are the just-now-playtested Disasters: Hurricane and...

Quote:
That Vehicles project should be from Phil Masters. Wonder what era or type it will cover?
Good question! He's already done Steampunk Conveyances, though I suppose there could always be more in that vein. Steampunk spaceships? Or could it be vehicles for Transhuman Space, another topic for which he's known?

I rather doubt it's vehicles for Discworld or Castle Falkenstein -- though he could have written up some less fantastical, more historical Victorian transportation, like their bewildering variety of carriages or an assortment of railway cars. Or, of course, it might be something completely unanticipated. Chanteuses' Zambonis?

Further behind the veil, we've got David Pulver's two-parter (already in rough draft for a month?), Christopher Rice's SNO-51 (with rough draft to be delivered in August), and a DF setting I suspect is by Matt Riggsby. But who knows? That's all probably for 2020.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #224
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I don't think Kromm and the production crew work quite that fast; probably he's started a piece because they see an upcoming "hole" in the publication schedule.
By last, I mean the one already in layout not the one he just started.

Quote:

Though HT: Electricity and Electronics has reached final-draft status, it's moderately long for layout and might have received some budget for new art (hoped-for crossover potential?).
Yeah, its very detailed so I expect to be a longer edit.
I still think its MH: Power-Ups then Template Toolkit but hopefully we know next week!
The Hurricane one should be interesting, be nice if it hits the shelf before Hurricane season is over (runs from June to Nov for the Atlantic) and I'm hoping it has some useful tidbits for fantasy and weather mages.

Quote:
Good question! He's already done Steampunk Conveyances, though I suppose there could always be more in that vein. Steampunk spaceships? Or could it be vehicles for Transhuman Space, another topic for which he's known?

I rather doubt it's vehicles for Discworld or Castle Falkenstein -- though he could have written up some less fantastical, more historical Victorian transportation, like their bewildering variety of carriages or an assortment of railway cars. Or, of course, it might be something completely unanticipated. Chanteuses' Zambonis?
I'd like to see some personal vehicles for different eras that characters might like. Bikes and sports cars, maybe a rugged cargo van.

Quote:
Further behind the veil, we've got David Pulver's two-parter (already in rough draft for a month?), Christopher Rice's SNO-51 (with rough draft to be delivered in August), and a DF setting I suspect is by Matt Riggsby. But who knows? That's all probably for 2020.
Hmm a Matt Rigsby setting would probably be good, like to see Tramlett get a setting too. There were several good setting ideas in Pyramid I would love to see, including that space car wars setting.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 AM   #225
Phil Masters

Quote:
That Vehicles project should be from Phil Masters.
It is, or rather was. The Kromm suggestions have already been applied and the modified draft returned. (This sort of Vehicles book doesn't run long, and he didn't ask for a total rewrite.) Assuming that Kromm is cool with one rules-related Thing I added (at his suggestion), it'll hopefully be in the queue for playtesting soon.

Quote:
I am large; I contain multitudes. Heck, my other project of the moment is in a sub-genre I've never tackled before, in forty years of games writing, and for a publisher I've never worked with before. One tries to keep things a little bit fresh.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #226
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
There were several good setting ideas in Pyramid I would love to see, including that space car wars setting.
J and I are busy working up TFT stuff till at least October. We've talked about doing a setting book of some kind. But it's just been talk so far.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 07-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #227
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I am large; I contain multitudes. Heck, my other project of the moment is in a sub-genre I've never tackled before, in forty years of games writing, and for a publisher I've never worked with before. One tries to keep things a little bit fresh.
So GURPS Colony ships. Got it ;).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
J and I are busy working up TFT stuff till at least October. We've talked about doing a setting book of some kind. But it's just been talk so far.
I think we could use a few more setting books. GURPS has quite a few but there very much a matter of taste and I dont think more would hurt. Gaming Ballistics Nordland is pretty much a DF setting already and one more DF setting is in the queue.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #228
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I think we could use a few more setting books. GURPS has quite a few but there very much a matter of taste and I dont think more would hurt. Gaming Ballistics Nordland is pretty much a DF setting already and one more DF setting is in the queue.
More worked examples never hurt in my experience.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #229
Phil Masters

Having done a few setting/world books, mostly because I had ideas and a few notes and it seemed a shame to waste them, I'd say that they sold... moderately well, but not as well as the big popular stuff. The demand isn't huge. Though they do seem to keep selling, a couple of copies a month, which is better than some things.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #230
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Having done a few setting/world books, mostly because I had ideas and a few notes and it seemed a shame to waste them, I'd say that they sold... moderately well, but not as well as the big popular stuff. The demand isn't huge. Though they do seem to keep selling, a couple of copies a month, which is better than some things.
Thats actually promising.At this point I think one of the best thing that could happen to GURPS is it getting or reviving a few kickass settings that really excite people and increase visibility.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Closed Thread