Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #21
tbone

Default Re: What control goo in a dungeon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
As I look at the fine print on how they work, oozes seem really well-optimized to wreck a campaign setting.
And maybe they should represent some sort of long-term ecological threat, if the sentient races can't do something about it (and if the campaign cares about that sort of thing). There's a post from Kromm somewhere about slimes being more than just weird creatures; rather, they're some sort of unnatural blot on the universe. (I forget the wording.)

Then again, it's not hard to imagine slimes that more or less stay in line. For wet slimes, I would think sunlight (as mentioned) and dryness would be harmful. Maybe also fire, salt, lots of things. Seems to me that wet slimes need damp and dark.

(A tougher question is wet slimes that can also live in water. What prevents them taking over a lake?)

Dry, rubbery slimes are a puzzler. A pudding is ridiculously tough, with just about no vulnerabilities; what stops it from taking over above ground and below? Maybe just really slow reproduction? Unusual vulnerability to some above-ground foe? Or - odd idea - they dislike areas with high Nature's Strength, limiting their threat to wastelands, deep underground, etc.?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
And maybe they should represent some sort of long-term ecological threat, if the sentient races can't do something about it (and if the campaign cares about that sort of thing). There's a post from Kromm somewhere about slimes being more than just weird creatures; rather, they're some sort of unnatural blot on the universe.
Is this the post you're talking about?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #23
Anthony

The real answer is that DF ignores such petty concepts as ecosystems. Most goo type creatures should either get wiped out or expand until they devour all available food and then starve, but neither works well for including them as dungeon monsters. The easiest option is that they require something special, found only in dungeons and only in limited (but slowly regenerating) quantities to exist.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #24
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The real answer is that DF ignores such petty concepts as ecosystems. Most goo type creatures should either get wiped out or expand until they devour all available food and then starve, but neither works well for including them as dungeon monsters. The easiest option is that they require something special, found only in dungeons and only in limited (but slowly regenerating) quantities to exist.
A surprising number of DF monsters don't raise such questions though. Either their power isn't too wildly out of proportion to their size (and, presumably, food requirements) or they're obviously unnatural creatures that pop up by magic (read: GM fiat) and hence might periodically go "extinct" only to be revived by some crazed sorcerer. Goo doesn't obviously fall into the latter category, but oozes at least might need to be relegated to it for world-building purposes. And perhaps that was Kromm's intent—the quote tbone might have had in mind was "Dungeon Fantasy goo is essentially leftover Stuff of Creation gone AWOL, the blight on Reality, horror made real, or whatever."
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #25
tbone

Quote:
Is this the post you're talking about?
Yeah, that's it! It makes goo almost an Elder Thing-ish sort of abomination, in concept if not classification.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 AM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The real answer is that DF ignores such petty concepts as ecosystems.
Yup. Too many monsters defy 'realism, and that's how Gary wrote D&D in the first place. It was weird, challenging, and often nonsensical.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #27
LokRobster

Give the goo a high rate of aging or decay upon moving? That’s the only way I can think of that would ensure that every space of underground isn’t scoured and converted to goo.

The goo would have to stay still if it isn’t eating, or on the way to a plentiful food source... it would explain why they always start in on PCs when the party draws close.

It could also just have a half-life no matter moving or not, every goo you run into is a recent irruptor into this reality, Elder Thing Style.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #28
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Scenario - PCs are hired by a mysterious patron to "clear out" a dungeon, only to find it recently evacuated of intelligent monsters and stripped of treasure, but positively infested with multiple types of goo.

After they leave, the monsters who hired them return to their newly cleaned up lair, optionally stiffing the PCs. (If you want the PCs to go back and fight the monsters who hired them, stiff them. If you want the PCs to move on, pay them.)
If you write this as a 16-32 page convention adventure, I will absolutely try and publish it. Ideally on April 1.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #29
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
If you write this as a 16-32 page convention adventure
That can be arranged.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #30
dcarson

Quote:
On the other hand, I actually kind of like the idea of of goo taking over dungeons that aren't being intelligently managed. The trick is to mix the goo in with other monsters that are entirely immune to the goo's effects. Though this is harder to justify with some types of goo, particularly corrosive goo, which I avoided using in my dungeon.
The party arrives back in town and says they totally wiped out the dungeon monsters. Asked about goo and when they say they managed to avoid it they get arrested and sent back in to manage it until something moves in to control it.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote