Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2017, 11:12 PM   #21
Drakyrias

Default Re: Marvel-DC World Building Help

That brings up a good question: Suggested Stats for John Constantine?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
This much I knew, but how they might interact with each other is the question. Would Constantine and Dr. Strange get along for example?
Constantine doesn't get along with anyone. He has Compulsive Behavior: Disagreeable. He also would not extend much in the way of resources to Strange and/or Fate.

http://hellblazer.wikia.com/wiki/The_Trenchcoat_Brigade

....is an example of who Constantine does fit with. Except for the Phantom Stranger they are really not any heavy hitters there and the Stranger usually is forbidden to use his abilities to their full extent.

Strange and Fate have no great need for each other's assistance. Also if you think Superman is too powerful I can't imagine that you want Fate.

Zatanna isn't really in their league or have the same sorts of motivations.

So no League of their Own. :)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #23
Phantasm

Strange would probably get along with both Fate and Zatanna, and may even offer Zatanna some additional training. It's little known, but Zatanna's mother was a member of the Homo magi, a magical offshoot of humanity, so she can (and has in the past) use traditional magic as well as the "speaking backwards" magic she and her father (and cousin, of the One Year Gap Teen Titans) are famous for. Also, I can see Clea (Strange's apprentice/wife and Dormammu's niece) and Zatanna interacting socially.

Fate's own magic is different enough from Strange's that the two may or may not be compatible.

Of the Marvel magical characters, I can see Constantine interacting most with Hellstorm and Ghost Rider, and possibly with Jack Russell/Werewolf. Jack's teenage sister Lissa (cured of being a werewolf, but has been kidnapped a dozen times, transformed into a non-werewolf form several times, and possessed twice, once by Morgan Le Fey - definitely some "Damsel in Distress Weirdness Magnet" trait going on there) has some magic potential, thanks to the family's ties to the Darkhold.

I can kinda see Constantine working with Devil-Slayer, Hellstorm, Hellcat, Nighthawk, Valkyrie, Gargoyle, and the rest of that lineup of Defenders, though they'd probably have to ditch Strange, Namor, and the Surfer to get it to work. If nothing else, he'd be the guy the heroes would turn to when they had some mystical threat that required more subtlety than Dr. Strange - or the guy who would gather a bunch of low-level occult heroes together for a job or three.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #24
Ultrogoth

Quote:
I like Aquaman so also not sure how Namor/Aquaman should work out since they are almost identically the same character.
Make them relatives. They could be feuding brothers (Atlantean History is full of feuding brothers in DC comics).

Another thing you could do is use Namora as Aquaman's mother...
Ultrogoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #25
mr beer

Quote:
Constantine gets a lot of plot armour even by comic standards IMO. Not sure of the best model for that. He also has Weirdness Magnet of course. Addiction - Cigarettes. Quirk - Habitually Disrespectful of Authority? Appearance: Handsome seems reasonable or at minimum Attractive, he was modelled off a young Sting after all.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #26
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Hmm... I'm not very familiar hin, but
Well, average ST and HT, maybe an 11 or 12 DX, and a notably high IQ, maybe a 14 or so, and probably some Strong Will.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #27
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Constantine gets a lot of plot armour even by comic standards IMO. Not sure of the best model for that. He also has Weirdness Magnet of course. Addiction - Cigarettes. Quirk - Habitually Disrespectful of Authority? Appearance: Handsome seems reasonable or at minimum Attractive, he was modelled off a young Sting after all.
Powers-wise, I'd probably use Path/Book or Ritual Path Magic for Constantine. A lot of what he does he needs preparation to pull off, unlike most of the other magic types which I'd use more flexible systems like Realm or Syntactic. One-spell wonders and other more focused types (Ghost Rider, Hellstorm, Amethyst, etc.) can get a lot of use out of Sorcery.

Avoid the standard Magic-magic system; it doesn't fit comics at all.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #28
whswhs

Quote:
Quirk - Habitually Disrespectful of Authority
OPH 1: Disrespectful of authority [-5] strikes me as a better call.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #29
Daigoro

Quote:
Constantine gets a lot of plot armour even by comic standards IMO. Not sure of the best model for that.
Isn't he under the protection of Lucifer (No one gets you but me...)? In which case, Patron (Unwilling, possibly) or Serendipity and Luck.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #30
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Isn't he under the protection of Lucifer (No one gets you but me...)? In which case, Patron (Unwilling, possibly) or Serendipity and Luck.
I think that was just the movie, and doesn't classify as a patron since Lucifer isn't really willing to do stuff for him. Lucifer just wasn't willing to let Constantine play him to get into heaven so brought him back to make him prove he belonged in Hell.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, supers, world building