Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Attercap

Default Celestials and role maintenance

Kelly Pedersen's post on angels getting married and the subsequent got me wondering: how do you treat roles/how are roles treated in your In Nomine game(s)?

My current campaign is set in a single local and (based on my request) all PCs have taken roles to help integrate them into the surrounding world. This allows me to provide additional hooks unique to each PC and turn the spotlight on them in ways I couldn't before. However, while I certainly see roles as a benefit to characters and understand their need to be maintained, I keep the required "management" fairly light. I do this so that, should a PCs be embroiled in a plot that takes them away from the normal duties of their role, neither they, nor their role is punished for it (excepting of course, if the vessel attached to the role is caught in some sort of media-frenzy). Basically, I view roles as "tenured positions" in the Symphony with on minimal repercussions and a slow deterioration rate. I've been lucky, though, and have never had a player try to abuse their character's role (or, in a rare case, roles).

(As an aside, the rules on roles would be one of the biggest rewrites I'd suggest if a second edition In Nomine was ever to be written.)

Roles. Your thoughts?

Tags
roles