Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
JimTullis

Default Re: Stories, Movies and Music to set the mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjpp View Post
AC/DC - Highway to Hell

This really should have made the list, if for no other reason than the title :-)
It was on my playlist, but I ran short on time for music during the original post.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
Dear JimTullis,

Wow. Thank you for the excellent list. I was not aware of the anthology, "Death on Wheels." The book is now in my crosshairs for capture.

The Auto Assault Soundtrack, published on a CD for the former MMORPG, has very good music for tabletop car combat.

The music from Interstate '76, Interstate '76 Nitro Pack, Interstate '76 Official Game Soundtrack, and the Interstate '76 demo album Bullmark is great for driving both on a tabletop and on actual highways.

I have a few titles of books and movies that may interest you on the Web page below.

SWAT HQ - Automotive Combat Media Checklist
http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/media/index.html
I had seen your list and then lost my link to it. Thanks for linking to it here.
I like how it's laid out with the different categories. You've put in a lot of great effort there.

I found Death on Wheels as an entry on ISFDB. I'm going to pick up a copy from Amazon soon. I've read a lot of it, but it will be handy having it all in one book.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #13
helbent4

No doubt many of you are aware of the "Black and Chrome" version of Mad Max: Fury Road that was recently released. Director George Miller originally wanted to release Fury Road in black and white to give it an art movie feel, as the studio wouldn't go for that his other options was desaturation or over-saturation. He chose latter, and while Fury Road certainly works in this way it just doesn't work in black-and-white. It could be because of the editing or the additional action sequences, or most likely simply because Fury Road is an awesome brain-melting spectacle that is doing so much you need the saturated colour to convey a full range of information for maximum impact, in which it completely succeeds. (Book of Eli certainly worked well enough in B&W but again even then there was a washed-out look to the film.)

However, Miller got the idea for a b&w movie back when he was working on Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2). When the composer was scoring that movie (sadly, original movie scores are becoming rarer and rarer nowadays) Miller dropped by and saw he had a black-and-white print playing so he could get the beats. Seeing this was what gave him the idea for doing this to Fury Road, but I don't think it really works.

To be clear, Mad Max and Road Warrior (not to mention Thunderdome and Fury Road) are absolutely primo material and make me wish Crossbow and Chassis got it's own revamped rule set, if not a unique parallel game history. However, what some friends and I did after playing some Car Wars was to check out the first few minutes of Road Warrior (not Fury Road) in black and white, simply by turning off the colour on the TV. Goddamn it, it was worth it! We ended up watching the entire movie. It was like an entire new film. I think why it works so well is that Road Warrior is slower paced than Fury Road, and having no colour simply brings out the underlying composition of terrain, light, dark, shadow, characters and motion to be in sharp relief.

TLDR: Watch all the Mad Max movies, this goes without saying. But I highly recommend watching Road Warrior/MM2 in black-and-white.

Bonus: as a soundtrack, play the one from Heavy Metal (1981) available in its entirety (playlist and original score) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQQdCrGp_8o

Tony
helbent4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #14
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
Bonus: as a soundtrack, play the one from Heavy Metal (1981) available in its entirety (playlist and original score) here:

Tony
I love Heavy Metal and the cab story is great but I tend to drop the following songs when I'm using the sound track for workouts or gaming...

Cheap Trick - Reach Out
Donald Fagen - True Companion
Journey - Open Arms

The rest of the album is gold. My Faves are
Sammy Hagar - Heavy Metal
Blue Öyster Cult - Veteran Of The Psychic Wars
Don Felder - Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)

OF course any fan of Heavy Metal needs to check out "Rock and Rule"
and the Iggy Pop song – "Pain & Suffering"
Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #15
owenmp

Volume 2, Number 6 of the comic Andromeda, published in 1979, was a special issue featuring stories written by Alan Dean Foster. One of the stories was, "Why Johnny Can't Speed," an inspiration for the AADA phrase, "Drive Offensively."

Andromeda (Comic)
http://comicsyrup.com/2011/06/02/andromeda
Comic Syrup
June 02, 2011

The soundtrack to the 2008 movie Death Race is great to play during Car Wars sessions. The CD was published as a limited release, therefore finding a physical copy may be difficult. The soundtrack was also released as a download.

Be careful if you listen to the Death Race Soundtrack during actual driving because you can have the tendency to increase your speed. :o)

The Death Race Soundtrack has a short, cool intro by Ian "Coach" McShane.

The Great Santini's I'76 Music Video" features Interstate '76 images set to Deep Purple's "Highway Star." The video is awesome.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat

Last edited by owenmp; 04-01-2017 at 07:59 PM.
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
owenmp

The game scores from the first titles of the Twisted Metal series, especially Twisted Metal 2, have great music for tabletop car combat,

Twisted Metal 1 Game Score
Twisted Metal 2 Game Score
Twisted Metal 3 Game Score
Twisted Metal 4 Game Score

The 2003 video game "Roadkill" included the songs listed below.

"(Don't Fear) The Reaper": Blue Oyster Cult
"Burnin' For You": Blue Oyster Cult
"Slow Ride": Foghat
"Heading Out To The Highway": Judas Priest
"I Like To Rock": April Wine
"Sign Of The Gypsy Queen": April Wine
"Redline To Your Heart": King Kobra
"Street Machine": King Kobra
"You've Got Another Thing Comin": Judas Priest

A post on BoardGameGeek over five years ago suggested an unofficial soundtrack for another (non-SJ Games) tabletop car combat boardgame.

1. The Prodigy - You Will Be Under My Wheels
2. Swervedriver - Son of Mustang Ford
3. White Zombie - Supercharger Heaven
4. The Young Gods - Long Route
5. F.S.O.L. - We Have Explosive
6. Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
7. The Prodigy - Diesel Power
8. Temponem Pal - Planet Crash
9. Rush - Red Barchetta
10. Orbital - P.E.T.R.O.L.
11. Rush - Driven
12. AC/DC - Highway to Hell
13. Deep Purple - Highway Star

Although they involve mecha combat instead of car combat, the computer game scores below are very appropriate for Car Wars sessions or real-world driving.

MechWarrior 2
MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries
Heavy Gear

Reel Future: The Stories that Inspired 16 Classic Science Fiction Movies
by Forrest J. Ackerman (Editor) and Jean Stine. This book, published in 1994, includes the following stories:

The Racer [by Ib Melchior] (1956)
Damnation Alley (Short Story Version) [by Roger Zelazny] (1967)

"The Racer" was the inspiration for Death Race 2000. The "Damnation Alley" in this anthology is the short story version.

Last edited by owenmp; 04-02-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:41 AM   #17
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
Reel Future: The Stories that Inspired 16 Classic Science Fiction Movies
by Forrest J. Ackerman (Editor) and Jean Stine. This book, published in 1994, includes the following stories:

The Racer [by Ib Melchior] (1956)
Damnation Alley (Short Story Version) [by Roger Zelazny] (1967)

"The Racer" was the inspiration for Death Race 2000. The "Damnation Alley" in this anthology is the short story version.
This is a great anthology and a real Eye Opener when you see the differences between the written page and what got filmed.

Armageddon 2419 A.D. is the beginning of the Buck Rogers stories and it is way different than I had thought it would be.

Seventh Victim [by Robert Sheckley] is a great short story and a really fun read. It's probably one of the influences behind the concept in the newer Death Race of winning a certain number of combats to win a pardon. It's also a really good mood setter for anything involving Competitive Dueling (on or off road).
Old 01-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #18
owenmp

Does anyone here know the name of this piece of fiction?

Help me identify a short story I read some time ago? (self.printSF)
submitted 3 years ago by billie_jeans_son

https://www.reddit.com/r/printSF/com...ottom-comments

So maybe 20 years ago I read a sci fi short story and am trying to find it. Pretty sure it was in an award winning collection in a book (duurrr)

It was about a futuristic society where there was some kind of battle culture on the highways. The protagonist was a young boy that for some reason didn't want to get involved in that culture and takes the bus or somesuch instead - but was forced to for some reason.

I seem to remember that he is terrified, drives to work/school/Starbucks or whatever and kills someone in battle along the way.

When he gets home his mum is relieved, but then he tells her he will be driving on the battle highway tomorrow.

Sorry that is all I can remember - appreciate if someone can help out.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #19
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
No doubt many of you are aware of the "Black and Chrome" version of Mad Max: Fury Road that was recently released. Director George Miller originally wanted to release Fury Road in black and white to give it an art movie feel, as the studio wouldn't go for that his other options was desaturation or over-saturation. He chose latter, and while Fury Road certainly works in this way it just doesn't work in black-and-white. It could be because of the editing or the additional action sequences, or most likely simply because Fury Road is an awesome brain-melting spectacle that is doing so much you need the saturated colour to convey a full range of information for maximum impact, in which it completely succeeds. (Book of Eli certainly worked well enough in B&W but again even then there was a washed-out look to the film.)

However, Miller got the idea for a b&w movie back when he was working on Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2). When the composer was scoring that movie (sadly, original movie scores are becoming rarer and rarer nowadays) Miller dropped by and saw he had a black-and-white print playing so he could get the beats. Seeing this was what gave him the idea for doing this to Fury Road, but I don't think it really works.

To be clear, Mad Max and Road Warrior (not to mention Thunderdome and Fury Road) are absolutely primo material and make me wish Crossbow and Chassis got it's own revamped rule set, if not a unique parallel game history. However, what some friends and I did after playing some Car Wars was to check out the first few minutes of Road Warrior (not Fury Road) in black and white, simply by turning off the colour on the TV. Goddamn it, it was worth it! We ended up watching the entire movie. It was like an entire new film. I think why it works so well is that Road Warrior is slower paced than Fury Road, and having no colour simply brings out the underlying composition of terrain, light, dark, shadow, characters and motion to be in sharp relief.

TLDR: Watch all the Mad Max movies, this goes without saying. But I highly recommend watching Road Warrior/MM2 in black-and-white.

Tony
Mad Max and Mad Max 2 (Road Warrior) also did real stunts, and didn't use digital inserts nor CGI.

Fury Road was just way too over the top for me. I thought Thunderdome pushed the genre to the envelope, and not in a good way. Mad Max was a feisty little independent film using some classic film making techniques. Mad Max 2 ratcheted up the action. And that's where the series stops for me.

FYI, "Christine" is about a haunted car. I baby sat my friend's kid sister one evening, and she and I got a little spooked by it, but in an action adventure sort of way. >:)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #20
jimmylogan

Three things - first, I own the soundtrack for Mad Max and Mad Max 2 - GREAT music!!!

Two - I just watched Revelation Road series on Pure Flix over the weekend. GREAT stuff! Mad Max from a Rapture/Christian point of view!

Three - someone mentioned Chassis & Crossbow getting it's own revamp? Why not build that into Genesys?
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote