Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Vampire Templates for Cabal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Unhealing: Partial [-20] doesn't preclude Leech-like powers.

Unhealing: Total [-30] does preclude Leech-like powers.
That's very bizarre as I know I've read the exact opposite written in these forums by authors.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
The template already has Secret (Vampire; possible death), which I think covers that. Given that it's meant for play among Cabalists, who are pretty monstrous in themselves, I don't think Social Stigma applies for them.
I had missed the Secret disad, yeah. I would argue that should the Secret be revealed, Social Stigma (Monster) would still be appropriate as one of the disads the Secret "converts" to, though. Certainly, other Cabalists won't necessarily judge you. But in all but the most Cabal-heavy game, I'd still expect players to have to deal with non-Cabalists sometimes. And that's where Social Stigma (Monster) will get you. It means the vampire is more limited than a human Cabalist, because normal humans will tend to be unwilling to work with the vampire, which seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian
Hrm. These are a combination of racial and dramatic templates, not just pure racial templates like "Minotaur" or "Vulcan". I want to represent that, in the Cabal setting, supernatural critters tend to be more individualistic than in a lot of fantasy settings. I could do bloodlines, but I'd rather avoid sub-splats...
I can see the point here. If that's what you're going for, I'd definitely recommend the "Racial Gifts" perk, and just have each template say "add 15 points in advantages from the 'Vampiric Gifts' list."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian
I may just build up a stack of Vampiric Powers (ala VTM's Disciplines) that any Vampire can buy as a Feature, and go from there. Unfortunately that leaves flavorful disads in limbo.
It doesn't have to leave the disads out, actually. If you go the Racial Gifts route, nothing says that the gifts have to be single advantages - you could make a list composed of packages like I described above, with a few thematically-linked advantages and disadvantages bundled together.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Kromm on Unhealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The limitations on regaining HP are these:

Either Level
  • Supernatural healing – healing potions and spells, psionic healing, the Healing advantage, etc. – works normally on you.
  • Gross technological repair with a skill like Mechanic or Surgery (depending on what kind of being you are) works normally on you.
  • Natural healing is limited:

1. No daily HT rolls to recover lost HP – meaning that things that merely accelerate this process rather than restore HP directly and on their own are also useless.
    2. No HP restored by using the First Aid or Physician skill to help the body recover from shock. Surgery only!
    3. You cannot have any level of Regeneration. Yes, for this purpose, Regeneration is considered "natural."
Partial
  • Restriction #1 is suspended when a rare condition is met. When that condition applies, you get daily HT rolls.
  • You can heal by stealing HP from others supernaturally, through means like the Leech advantage or the Steal Vitality spell; in effect, these are added to "supernatural healing" at this level.
Total
  • Restriction #1 is never suspended. You never get daily HT rolls.
  • You cannot heal by stealing HP from others. "Stealing HP supernaturally" is treated as different from "being healed supernaturally" – the former doesn't work but the latter still does.

In short, Unhealing is essentially a restriction on whether you can make daily HT rolls to heal, get First Aid, have the Regeneration advantage, or steal HP. Neither level prohibits being healed via supernatural means (e.g., Healing spells) or extreme physical intervention (e.g., Surgery skill), both of which always work on everyone. Invent a new, higher level to forbid those as well.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Thanks, that actually clarifies something I thought I knew but apparently didn't.

Tags
cabal, templates, vampires