Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
VariousRen

Default [Magic] Differences between Enchantments

I'm looking at getting some equipment enchanted, and noticed some overlap in protective abilities. Deflect adds a DB bonus to an item like a weapon, shield, or armour. Defending Shield adds a bonus to blocking for a specific shield, but is much more expensive than Deflect for the same +1 bonus (500 vs 100). Does the bonus from Deflect not add onto the defense bonus of a shield, or is Defending Shield only worth it once a few levels of Deflect has been taken?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: [Magic] Differences between Enchantments

It's not the same +1. Defending Shield is adding to the Block (effectively +2 to the Shield skill) when using that enchanted shield. And because they're not the same you cand have +3 to blocking by having Defieding Shiled +1 and Defect +2 for 1000 energy [cheaper than Deflect + 3 for 2000 or Defending shield + 3 for 2000]
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
VariousRen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
It's not the same +1. Defending Shield is adding to the Block (effectively +2 to the Shield skill) when using that enchanted shield. And because they're not the same you cand have +3 to blocking by having Defieding Shiled +1 and Defect +2 for 1000 energy [cheaper than Deflect + 3 for 2000 or Defending shield + 3 for 2000]
Okay, so it's almost always better to stick Deflect on something first, and then use Defending Weapon or Defending Shield to get the bonus up even higher when the cost of Deflect gets higher. It just struck me as odd, since the bonus from Deflect is more general (All defenses, not just block or parry) but is cheaper at +1 and +2, and the same at +3.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
scc

Please note that the DB bonus in Deflect also adds to Parry and Dodge rolls, for the later RAW says it even works against firearms!
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
Okay, so it's almost always better to stick Deflect on something first, and then use Defending Weapon or Defending Shield to get the bonus up even higher when the cost of Deflect gets higher. It just struck me as odd, since the bonus from Deflect is more general (All defenses, not just block or parry) but is cheaper at +1 and +2, and the same at +3.
Yes, it is odd. *shrug* GURPS Magic has some (cough) inconsistencies and could do with a rewrite. We may not get a rewrite, as such, but the DF RPG is getting a new spells book that will include a lot of revised spells (but only a subset of the list from Magic... which may not be a bad idea anyways).

I've swapped the prices around in my game. I also added an armor piercing enchantment.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I've swapped the prices around in my game. I also added an armor piercing enchantment.
You mean besides Penetrating Weapon?
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You mean besides Penetrating Weapon?
My bad, armor hardening enchantment. The one of that pair that's conspicuously missing.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
Okay, so it's almost always better to stick Deflect on something first, and then use Defending Weapon or Defending Shield to get the bonus up even higher when the cost of Deflect gets higher.
Deflect increases the chance of the shield taking damage, Defending Shield doesn't.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:56 AM   #9
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Yes, it is odd. *shrug* GURPS Magic has some (cough) inconsistencies and could do with a rewrite. We may not get a rewrite, as such, but the DF RPG is getting a new spells book that will include a lot of revised spells (but only a subset of the list from Magic... which may not be a bad idea anyways).
Unfortunately that will not include any Enchantment spells.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Unfortunately that will not include any Enchantment spells.
The game will include enchantments (organized with treasure, IIRC, but don't quote me). They won't be written up as spells, but you can back-form the energy costs from the prices and use the prerequisite chains from Magic (or make your own).

Similarly, at least some of the non Enchantment-college spells will have enchantments, from which you can back-form their energy cost to enchant.

Tags
defending shield, deflect, enchantment