Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #31
Anthony

Default Re: Building a Healing Power that also causes pain

Technically, you're allowed to use Affliction to grant someone a metatrait, so you can have a metatrait of Instant Regeneration [100], -4 IQ [-80], -4 DX [-80]. That metatrait is a -60 point limitation, and thus is a 60% enhancement on Affliction.

The GM might possibly throw things at you if you try this, however.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #32
RobKamm

You really don't need to go to a new edition for the cost on the link. There is always Rule Zero.

If one of my players came to me with a that ability I'd probably waive the cost of the link. I would, however, then require good story reason and maybe a character point to unlink them further down the road if they decided they wanted to do that.

Of course, in one of my old campaigns all forms of fast healing caused pain and FP. Damaging a body is easy, fixing it is hard. . .
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #33
mikeejimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Er, anyway, back from that tangent . . . in this particular case, it would probably be reasonable for the GM to give a significant Nuisance Effect on both powers -- more than enough to offset the cost of Link. It could certainly be argued that "I'm linked to an advantage that completely works against what this trait is intended to accomplish" is a significant Nuisance Effect.
This is how I'm currently planning to handle it. Something like this:

Healing (Link +10%, Nuisance Effect (Linked to Moderate Pain Affliction) -10%) [30] +
Affliction (Link +10%, Nuisance Effect (Linked to Healing) -10%, Moderate Pain +20%) [12]

Except that the Nuisance Effect might be more than -10%, because as it is, this is the same price as having them Unlinked.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #34
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd say -10% for Link +10% and nothing for the +20% level.
Hm.hm. The latter has the same cost as buying the two abilities without the mods. The character with the disadvantageous link can do the same things as the vanilla version character, but also has the option to use both at once. That looks like it might be worth some small premium... in general, if not necessarily for this build.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote