Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default Alternate Wealth rules

The current wealth rules basically seem to be “The bard/thief sells stuff for everyone, taking whatever cut they want.”, which lands the poor face character between a rock and a hard place: either they paid (e.g.) [20] points and are no better off than the others, or they’re just asking for tensions within the group.

My suggestion is to make wealthy characters feel richer, instead.
1) Everyone sells at 40%. Reaction rolls, etc., still apply.
2) Wealth modifies prices of everything bought for yourself:
40% Very Wealthy
60% Wealthy
80% Comfortable
100% Average
130% Struggling
160% Poor
200% Dead Broke
The difference can be from your estate covering some of it, paying alimony, getting out of taxes or your guild collecting outrageous fees, or the thug on your street going “Nice duds you have there, I think I’d like them” half the time.
3) You still pay $150 for cost of living, but it represents better or worse accommodations: A Very Wealthy character has $3,000/month living arrangements, with a mansion and servants, while a Dead Broke one is squatting in leaky abandoned buildings barely good enough to avoid penalties. No game effect either way, and servants certainly don’t follow into the dungeon.

The goal is that Poor characters will tend to be poorly equipped, and rich characters will be richly equipped.

The GM shouldn’t fret when the rich guy administers his healing potion to the poor one, but stop blatant abuse: “Your serfs heard you’re using their taxes to outfit the wizard and have roughed up the tax collector.”
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote